"Where is the kit of....."

A 1/48 F-82 would undoubtedly be really neat. But sell like "hotcakes"? There are exactly two color schemes (natural metal and gloss black) and one user (USAF). IIRC there were only about three squadrons that ever flew them. Add that all up and you'd have a real dog of a sales prospect for the long term.
Yet Special Hobby looks to be making money on their 1:32 X-15, enough so that they've issued three variants. All this for a total of three craft. Three!

I bought two Trumpeter Vigilantes. I'll buy an F-82B and and an F-82E, both in 1:32 please. I'd buy at least one P-51H in that scale, too.

How about some love for the C-5 Galaxy? A new tooling in 1/144 would make the most sense, I guess, but I can dream about bigger can't I?

The only other one I've really wanted would be a 1/48 HU-16 Albatross. But that's been taken care of in resin and apparently a styrene kit is in works as well. So sometimes dreams do come true.

:thumbsup:

I've had 5 of the PBY kits (built 3) and 3 of the JU-52 kits (built 1) since they came out so I'm doing my part :thumbsup:

I'd like to see Japanese and British medium bombers in 1/48. And by someone besides Trumpeter.

Ken

Jennings sums it up pretty well. I think in general most manufacturers have a pretty good idea what will move off the shelves and what won't.

But while we're at it a 1/32 Me 410 would be really cool (maybe Dragon has this one on the drawing board already).

I'd definitely like to see more 1/48 kits of british multi-engine stuff.

Beaufort (this one used to be on Classic Airframes' release schedule, and is still listed as a 'future release' from Special Hobby)

Hampden (I'm a bit scared of the Fonderie Miniatures one, I'd like to see one from Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter, or any other big manufacturer)

Halifax (same as above)

Whitley

Lincoln

Blenheim (I have a couple of the Classic Airframes kits already, but a brand new version would be welcome)

Wouldn't mind a brand new 1/32 Beaufighter or Mosquito as well. The new Airfix 1/24 Mosquito is just a bit big for my taste.

I'd also like to see more japanese multi-engined stuff in 1/48. Particularly bombers.

And in 1/32, I'd really like to see a Raiden, Shiden, or Shiden Kai. Since Hasegawa has already done a nice new 1/32 Hayate, Hien, and Shoki... I can only imagine they'll be doing the other ones I mentioned somewhere along the line. Also wouldn't mind if they released an updated Hayabusa in 1/32, to go along with the rest.

I'd really like to see more Russian stuff in general.... in either 1/48 or 1/32. Yak-1, Yak-3, La-5, or La-7 in 1/32 would be lovely.

There's not much I'm dying to see on the german or american sides since so much has been covered already.

An updated 1/48 P-61 could be nice.

In 1/32, any of the following would get my money:

B-25

B-26

P-61

Hs129

Do17

Do217

Me210/410

I guess there's quite a bit that I'd like to see/buy...

How about some love for the C-5 Galaxy? A new tooling in 1/144 would make the most sense, I guess, but I can dream about bigger can't I?

The only other one I've really wanted would be a 1/48 HU-16 Albatross. But that's been taken care of in resin and apparently a styrene kit is in works as well. So sometimes dreams do come true.

:thumbsup:

They way Amonster are going, they may just do a C-5 in 1/72nd scale. After all, they have now done the Spruce Goose in 1/72nd and they are apparently going to do a Bristol Brabazon in 1/72nd! I didn't see that one coming. I know they are a load to build, having worked on my An-22 fitfully for several years now, but they're the only game in town for really big subjects, especially Soviet/Russian aircraft, unless you want to do vacuform. It's nice to see that they're coming out with some non-Soviet biggies now so get your e-mails ready and let's all let them know we'd like to see a C-5B (and since they're going to do the Bristol Brabazon, is it too much to ask for the Saro Princess? Oh, it is? Well, never mind, then.).

Regards,

Learstang

A 1/48 F-82 would undoubtedly be really neat.

The Twin Mustang was also already done in 48th and while the kit isn't perfect, I doubt that the errors/issues were severe enough to warrant a completely new kit, especially when you weigh the costs of tooling vs. expected sales.

For my money, there are quite a few Cold War era prop planes that haven't been kitted in 48th, although some may see the light of day soon. First and foremost on my list would be the Grumman S-2 Tracker/C-1 Trader/E-1 Tracer series. I would agree with the Shackleton and suggest the B-50, K/C-97, C-119, A-26K and even the C-123. I'd also add a Pucara, T-34 (piston version) and also a C-2 Greyhound (although that still may show up from Kinetic). The An-2 Colt would be a great addition, but again I believe Trumpeter is planning one. I'd still love to see a Be-6, but perhaps that is a bit too esoteric? I could go on all day about jets, but I'll stick to props, since that is where this was posted.

I always wanted a Grumman skyrocket but I don't make thise decisions.

Academy released 2 versions of the Skyrocket (XF5F) in 1/48; short and long-nosed. They were pretty nice kits, and shouldn't be TOO hard to find if one looks around.

I don't want to point any fingers at fellow modellers, but there is a person on another site, that every post he makes relates to his favourite airplane, and why there isn't a kit it in his favourite scale. So some one is finally making a resin kit, and his reaction is, I'll buy one. One, yes one kit and it is his favourite dream kit. So if a die fan will buy one, how well do you think that is going to sell to the rest of us. Now maybe we know why we don't see long established model companies running to fill modelers requests for the next best selling kit of all time. As for my favourites I am well served by the popular kits in common scales, and I purchase them, lots of them. I have purchased over 100 Spitfires in scales from 1:24 to 1:72. Four of which are new Tamiya 1:32 mark IX, and that is just since they were released 4 months ago. They produce what they produce for a reason, and yes the "suits" know how to run a company. The market is changing yet again, and I think that unless they come from China with ultra low tooling costs, we won't be seeing a big rush on the lesser known aircraft anytime soon.

I don't want to point any fingers at fellow modellers, but there is a person on another site, that every post he makes relates to his favourite airplane, and why there isn't a kit it in his favourite scale. So some one is finally making a resin kit, and his reaction is, I'll buy one. One, yes one kit and it is his favourite dream kit. So if a die fan will buy one, how well do you think that is going to sell to the rest of us.

I'm not sure ONE person's willingness/ability to buy but ONE resin kit of his self-professed favorite aircraft, should be used as a good indication of expected sales. First of all, many resin kits are damned expensive (RVHP Hu-16 Albatross comes to mind, along with most anything by Collect-Aire et al) and difficult to obtain good results out of for the average modeler. Secondly, maybe his budget is stretched to the limit and one is ALL he can afford? Lastly, maybe he is buying one to gauge the quality and will buy more if it isn't pure crapola. I mean in a perfect world, I'd have unlimited funds to buy anything and everything I wanted, but then the SWMBO pipes up and asks what the hell am I going to do with all these kits anyway. One never truly knows, lest they walk a mile in my shoes.

I don't want to point any fingers at fellow modellers, but there is a person on another site, that every post he makes relates to his favourite airplane, and why there isn't a kit it in his favourite scale. So some one is finally making a resin kit...

Is it me? Is it me? Is it a 1/72 Yak-1b? Tellmetellmetellme!!! :bandhead2:

John

I'm not sure ONE person's willingness/ability to buy but ONE resin kit of his self-professed favorite aircraft, should be used as a good indication of expected sales. First of all, many resin kits are damned expensive (RVHP Hu-16 Albatross comes to mind, along with most anything by Collect-Aire et al) and difficult to obtain good results out of for the average modeler. Secondly, maybe his budget is stretched to the limit and one is ALL he can afford? Lastly, maybe he is buying one to gauge the quality and will buy more if it isn't pure crapola. I mean in a perfect world, I'd have unlimited funds to buy anything and everything I wanted, but then the SWMBO pipes up and asks what the hell am I going to do with all these kits anyway. One never truly knows, lest they walk a mile in my shoes.

Price doesn't matter if you have to have it. Look at Apple with their pricing. This is a hobby, none of us need to do this, we want to do it. Price is just of reflection of how much you are willing to part with to get it. This isn't food or shelter. So if you further constrain the companies with a price ceiling, then the likelihood of them producing kits that are deemed to be less popular sellers, drops off considerably. As someone that has a business education and has family members that are independent price consultants, I can tell you that we (myself included) all know virtually nothing about what will sell and what won't sell in this business. I can also add that the model companies are not going to join in here and present us with their business strategies.

I doubt that the errors/issues were severe enough to warrant a completely new kit

I think they were.

The Modelcraft F-82s are some of the worst kits I've seen and everyone who's ever built one will tell you they're a nightmare to build.

I don't want to point any fingers at fellow modellers, but there is a person on another site, that every post he makes relates to his favourite airplane, and why there isn't a kit it in his favourite scale. So some one is finally making a resin kit, and his reaction is, I'll buy one. One, yes one kit and it is his favourite dream kit. So if a die fan will buy one, how well do you think that is going to sell to the rest of us. Now maybe we know why we don't see long established model companies running to fill modelers requests for the next best selling kit of all time. As for my favourites I am well served by the popular kits in common scales, and I purchase them, lots of them. I have purchased over 100 Spitfires in scales from 1:24 to 1:72. Four of which are new Tamiya 1:32 mark IX, and that is just since they were released 4 months ago. They produce what they produce for a reason, and yes the "suits" know how to run a company. The market is changing yet again, and I think that unless they come from China with ultra low tooling costs, we won't be seeing a big rush on the lesser known aircraft anytime soon.

I hear you and that`s why I have over 75 Hasegawa 109`s. I buy every single 1/48 tall tailed G14 I find at shops ( if the prices are reasonable ), got all 3 I saw when I was in Tokyo in January :jaw-dropping:

If Revell starts selling a 1/32 Hs129B2 I will also get multiple copies.

No wonder my stash is nearing 700 kits :jaw-dropping:

The stuffed-shirts proclaim that military subjects are all that will sell; that may very well be because they're all that's on the shelves.... duuuuhhhh! Watch ebay sometime when there's one of the old Aurora Civil kits up for grabs!

Most current and past military pilots first consummated their love affair with flight in a General Aviation aircraft, and ALL non-military pilots did, so what exactly is the logic here? A great percentage of the modeling market potential is being ignored!

I will be so bold to say that EVERY seasoned Military Pilot who are/were Masters of thier war-torn domain and flew before entering the Military, stare off into the distance with a gleam in their eye and smile on their face at the thought of the Civil aircraft they made their First Solo in! But they can't have one of them sitting on their shelf.

Okay, I'm off the bandwagon; continue... :cheers:

Take care,

Frank

I think the key word there is "old". An old kit will sell for squillions for the same reason that an old toy does - rarity. It's long past the stage where it's going to fulfil its original purpose and is now in the twilight zone of being collected, hoarded, stored, occasionally allowed to see carefully-regulated light, and generally treated as Gollum treated his Preciousss. No sensible company would base their tooling decision on "if those old Aurora things go for telephone numbers, I'll clean up if I produce a modern version of the same thing".

Civil aircraft are a niche compared with military ones. For proof, look at airliners. Big enough to be impressive, heaps of colour options, yet still mostly a cottage industry. The market for light GA types is minuscule, I'm afraid.

In which vein, to my earlier list, I'll add a Firefly Mk.5 or 6.

Edited by pigsty
Civil aircraft are a niche compared with military ones. For proof, look at airliners. Big enough to be impressive, heaps of colour options, yet still mostly a cottage industry. The market for light GA types is minuscule, I'm afraid.

Yup, at Valley Con this past weekend there were about 300 models on display. You could count the civilian aircraft subjects on one hand.

Price doesn't matter if you have to have it.

I disagree vehemently with your assertions on price. I love the B-52, I've flown low-level missions in the aircraft and I think it is an awesome plane! I would absolutely have to have a quarter scale injection molded kit if one were available. However, as I am currently collecting unemployment my budget is extremely constrained, so if one were released tomorrow I'd have to pass. Just because the desire for something runs high (be it models, cellphones, iPods or what have you) doesn't mean that a person is willing or even able to throw budgetary constraints out the window and rush out and buy said item(s). We all have our limits, but that doesn't mean we want something less. It just means that we must be more resourceful in order to obtain it or simply contain the urge to rush out and spend next months rent money, car payment or food budget on what amount to hunks of plastic.

Edited by madmanrick

What I would love to see...

All in 1/32

F-82 Twin Mustang (The Hobby craft 1/48 is as bad as everyone says it is...)

P-61 Black Widow (C'Mon...This is such a cool looking prop plane.)

OV-10 Bronco (The 1/48 Italeri kit does not cut it with me...as far as Im concerned...it is an underdetailed toy!)

There...Ive said my peace.

I would like to see 1/48 S2F Tracker, C-1A COD and WF-1 Tracer. I think these would sell due to the amount of countries that operated them(at least the S2F would), plus all the companies that use them now a fire-bombers. As you can see I'm a little biased toward the Tracker family. I got the chance to be in a C-1A few years back when they were doing an engine run up. Oh the sound of those round motors.

Edited by dekon70

Just a heads up for the Tracker fans, IIRC one of the Czech companies has 'announced' a 48th Tracker (I think MPM). Not really a kit I'd be interested in as I don't like mixed media kits but thier quality has seemed to be better in the last few years so it may be an option

Just a heads up for the Tracker fans, IIRC one of the Czech companies has 'announced' a 48th Tracker (I think MPM). Not really a kit I'd be interested in as I don't like mixed media kits but thier quality has seemed to be better in the last few years so it may be an option

Matt,

Do you know if that is the same company that has had a STOFF (S2F Tracker) on their lists for a couple years now? I would buy it as long as the price isn't RVHP high. Hopefully this one finally sees the light of day!