1/48 Tamiya Lancaster. RAF Squadron 101

"May 11, 1945. While delivering 24 more POW’s from Brussels to Dunsfold, I recognized pilot F/L Cooke in the group. He showed me snapshots he had taken of one of the Stalag prison camps he was in. This was the final trip of our operations tour."

Thanks guys! I really should have waited until I had all the pics ready, but I couldn't stand to wait any longer to post them! After almost 6 months of work (250 hours?), I think it was worth it. Here's a few pics below before I post them to the "Display Case". I really enjoyed this build with all of your support.

First, here's a pic of my uncle's flight crew. I can't imagine how terrifying it was to climb into that Lanc on 25 bombing missions with an overall 45% survival rate in Bomber Command....

Collage2.jpg

This build deserves a little tribute plaque....

FinalPlaque.jpg

FinalPlaque3.jpg

Now some of the pics in detail. You can see more of them here:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/ch...20Pics/?start=0

Final38.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final9.jpg

Final12.jpg

Final13.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

A few more....

Final15.jpg

Final34.jpg

Note the "Window Chute" just forward of the bomb bay doors. Aluminum foil was dispersed by the bomb aimer as the first "chaff" to foil German radar. Since my uncle remembers throwing this stuff out of his bombing position, I had to add one....

Final18.jpg

Those sliders out of pop cans turned out OK....

Final20.jpg

Final22.jpg

Final23.jpg

Final25.jpg

Final28.jpg

Final29.jpg

Final31.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck love how this has turned out :cheers: And love how you have made the spent bullet chutes.

The little pieces of alloy you have made and placed on the inside of the chutes might have not been on this Lanc' !

as these black sections where brackets for the AGLT Village Inn automatic gun laying system, this was fitted on a few very

late Lancasters and the idea was dropped because it couldn't tell what was friend or foe !

http://www.spitfirespares.com/SpitfireSpar...n_AGLT_FN15.jpg

Cheers.

:nanner: ian.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate it!

The little pieces of alloy you have made and placed on the inside of the chutes might have not been on this Lanc' !

as these black sections where brackets for the AGLT Village Inn automatic gun laying system, this was fitted on a few very

late Lancasters and the idea was dropped because it couldn't tell what was friend or foe !

Cheers.

:nanner: ian.

Who knows?- but I copied them directly from the Mynarski Lanc as close as possible.

Ian, thanks for all your help along the way. I thought you were going to give me crap for not putting those thin aerials on the roof, but I'm certain they would break off anyway, so I deleted them.

Simply outstanding, Chuck. I enjoyed following your build all along the way. Enjoyed the history as well. As it has been said many times before in this thread, this is a fabulous tribute to your uncle. I am sure he is going to be very proud to display the model. Well done!

:P

J.C.

Thank you guys very much. I wasn't quite sure how my uncle's log book entries would be received at the beginning of every update, but I found it fun- and inspiring. My best builds always have something emotional about them, whether it be a favorite aircraft (F-14 for me) or a tribute to a relative like this one. How else do you spend about 250 hours on something if it isn't extra special?

After I finish my much delayed 1/32 CF-18B, I'll be building the Spitfire as a tribute to my father (since past) who worked as an airframe mechanic on them while my uncle Will was flying missions in the Lanc. Thankfully, Tamiya has released a great 1/32 version of this aircraft recently, so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Chuck, a magnificent model and a fitting and wonderful tribute to your Uncle. One can forget just how young they were. I agree this is special, in more ways than one.

Best wishes to you and your Uncle.

John

Thank you John and I am also still shocked by how old most of the aircrew where. Average age, it seems, was about 22, same age as my son. I'd be just sick if he was in a war somewhere, no matter how honorable.

It seems only weeks ago I PM'd you about whether you knew of a good Lancaster website, since you lived in the UK. As a "fighter jet guy", like me, you didn't know of one, but I did find an excellent source of info here for anyone who might be interested:

http://lancaster-archive.com/

The Lanc guys in their forums helped me immensely with serial numbers and many fine details of the Lancaster you'll never find in a book. Special thanks to "ianlanc", a Moderator in their forums and a frequent poster here, for all his advice. :thumbsup:

Hello Chuck.

I have to say what a truly brilliant job you have done.

I have finnaly got my stash pile down to a level where I was happy to purchace the Tamiya 1/48 lancaster, I bought most of the Eduard bits quite a while ago and over the past couple of weeks have made a start on my own.

I would like to ask of you, if you wouldn't mind letting me know exactly which colours/paint codes and band of paint you used for your lanc, I have had a few builds of WW2 aircraft and have never had an end result quite as go as yours looks.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, same question again for your bombs..

Thank You..

Tony..

P.S I'm off to an airshow here in the Uk this coming weekend and will be luck enough to see the BBMF Lancaster fly and thay also have a static one in the museum (RAF DUXFORD)

Thanks agian. Tony

http://lancaster-archive.com/

The Lanc guys in their forums helped me immensely with serial numbers and many fine details of the Lancaster you'll never find in a book.

Special thanks to "ianlanc", a Moderator in their forums and a frequent poster here, for all his advice. :)

Thanks for the little 'thankyou' Chuck its very much appreciated and glad our forum and I could help a little

But you deserve all the credit in making such a fine model and after seeing how you have made the spent

bullet shutes for the rear turret out of an ally can you've got me modding all my rear turrets now !

Cheers.

ian. :cheers: