Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Awesome work, finish and detail.

May I suggest a little more weathering that will certainly enhance the model especially around the nozzles and bare metal areas in the back. That area does seem a bit too clean, shall we say. The same goes for the insides of the air-brake wells and the wheel wells. These generally attract a lot of grime and dirt. However, sir, that is up to your discretion. It certainly does not detract any of the fine level of craftsmanship that you've attained with this build. I especially love the riveting work - I am doing the same to a 1/32 F-5 and it's got me worn out - you did it in 1/48th scale - amazing!!!

Best wishes and indeed thanks for sharing this with us.

Congrats and regards

Alex

Hi Alex!

Awesome work, finish and detail.

May I suggest a little more weathering that will certainly enhance the model especially around the nozzles and bare metal areas in the back. That area does seem a bit too clean, shall we say. The same goes for the insides of the air-brake wells and the wheel wells. These generally attract a lot of grime and dirt. However, sir, that is up to your discretion. It certainly does not detract any of the fine level of craftsmanship that you've attained with this build. I especially love the riveting work - I am doing the same to a 1/32 F-5 and it's got me worn out - you did it in 1/48th scale - amazing!!!

Best wishes and indeed thanks for sharing this with us.

Congrats and regards

Alex

Thank you for your kind, positive and constructive comment! I totally agree with you - weathering is quite a weak point on my models. Not a surprise as this step needs artistic talent - which I totally lack. As I said in the previous post I plan to practice/experiment with it on a cheap OOB 1/72 model. I will leave the Phantom as it is because I find it a bit too risky to try new techniques on this model.

Cheers :cheers:,

Zoli

For some reason (asleep at the wheel!), I missed this until now. So the finished item is the first I've seen of this awesome build. It is a technical revelation and truly inspiring; thank you for showing us this magnificent creation!

Now, wonder where can I find those beautiful markings...? :wub:

Hi ChippyWho!

For some reason (asleep at the wheel!), I missed this until now. So the finished item is the first I've seen of this awesome build. It is a technical revelation and truly inspiring; thank you for showing us this magnificent creation!

Now, wonder where can I find those beautiful markings...? :wub:

Thanks for your kind words! Well, this build thread is about four years old - that was a long sleep for you... :woot.gif:

The markings are the inbox ones - or I misunderstood your question.

Cheers,

Zoli

[..]

Hi Shaka!

Would you sell it right after finishing a four-year long build? :)/>/>

You asked my photo settings - TBH I am not a photographer so I do not know how to tell these precisely. I can tell you the amateurish way... ;)/>/>

So, I have a zero-cost DIY light tent/white box. A large paper box with white paper glued onto the walls inside. Blue paper is put to the bottom. I have DIY photo lights - means simple desk lamps. These are used to light just the sides of the box. Small sheets of white paper are added to the lamp to prevent them light the model directly. The papers are tied to the lamps using masking tape - very professional, indeed. :D/>/>

To take the photo, I have a compact camera - Canon Powershot A85, a cheap one. I use it in macro mode to take the photos. The only special setting is the "custom white balance". Instead of a totally white object I use a larger part of an unbuilt model for the setup - this is light gray. This way the photos look better. That's all.

Cheers,

Zoli

Ha ha..dude, I jest. Thank you for the info on the photography settings -- I can't imagine what you can produce with an actual DSLR (entry level one's are so cheap nowadays)!

Again congratulations on this build. I'm not sure how some of you guys here can stay interested for years on a build -- but you can definitely see the quality of the work of these long builds.

Edited by Shaka HI

f4j_264.JPG

I hope you like the final result (after almost four years :) ).

Cheers,

Zoli

Sorry Zoli, I don't like the final result, I LOVE IT!!!, that is Swweeeeeeeeetness personified, in other words Outfreakinstanding!!!!, C'est magnifique, Fantastico...You have shown what can be done with some elbow grease and imagination, and shown how beautiful the italeri kit can be made, however others shouldn't expect this result without some dedication and much effort. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi guys!

Ha ha..dude, I jest. Thank you for the info on the photography settings -- I can't imagine what you can produce with an actual DSLR (entry level one's are so cheap nowadays)!

Again congratulations on this build. I'm not sure how some of you guys here can stay interested for years on a build -- but you can definitely see the quality of the work of these long builds.

Shaka, I think the model would not look better with any kind of camera - a better one would show more flaws on the other hand.

TBH I did not stay interested most of the time - if you check my signature, ALL of the finished models were built parallel to this one in this four years. So if the project is getting boring, switch to another one and build that.

Sorry Zoli, I don't like the final result, I LOVE IT!!!, that is Swweeeeeeeeetness personified, in other words Outfreakinstanding!!!!, C'est magnifique, Fantastico...You have shown what can be done with some elbow grease and imagination, and shown how beautiful the italeri kit can be made, however others shouldn't expect this result without some dedication and much effort.

Thank you Clif for these kind words!

Cheers,

Zoli