Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all of you again!

@Sunliner: nooo, I never count them (not necessary, there's one at every mm), so I'm not a real rivet counter... :thumbsup:

Putting riveting aside for a while I started to build the details of the airbrakes under the wing. First I cut the shapes and drilled out all the holes (yes, there's another piece created, it went wrong, let's call it a prototype):

f4j_53.JPG

Then the unnecessary material was cut away to form the final shape:

f4j_54.JPG

Rivet lines are drawn and the parts riveted:

f4j_55.JPG

f4j_56.JPG

And finally the hydraulics were built (the rods will be cut to length later when the wells are also formed):

f4j_57.JPG

I hope you like this.

Cheers,

Zoli

excellent work mate!

what tool did you ise for the rivets on the fuselage?

Hi Periklis!

Nice to see you here - as your FANTASTIC work greatly inspired me to start this project!

Well, the riveting... I use a home-made "flexible ruler". This is a small metal stripe cut from a soda can, scribed a mm scale onto it and made the scale visible with a marker pen. Added some electric tape on it and it's ready. When it breaks, I make another one.

And the riveter tool... it is an old dart (really, don't tell it to Phil Taylor :monkeydance: ). It is not too sharp, and thus it makes shallow, large round holes that are not filled when I sand down the excess material around them.

Cheers,

Zoli

Hello everyone,

as always, thanks for the kind words.

It's time to post a little update...

The airbrake wells were created from plastic sheet, riveted and dryfitted into the wings:

f4j_58.JPG

f4j_59.JPG

Then I checked the intakes. No details at all, and I don't think there are sink marks and locating pins in the real ones. It seems impossible to reshape the intakes so I decided to create intake covers to hide everything in them. I cut the basic shape from plastic sheet, and formed its inner "box":

f4j_60.JPG

f4j_61.JPG

Then added some details and dryfitted them into the intakes:

f4j_62.JPG

f4j_63.JPG

Hope you like this.

Cheers,

Zoli

Belts also added to the bottom (I've checked a lot of photos but I'm still not sure how authentic these belts are...anyway, they give that "busy" impression I wanted):

f4j_19.JPG

I hope you like this.

Zoli

What material did you use to make your belts?

How did you cut the edge of the soda can so that your rivet lines are straight? The best way I've found to cut a soda can is with scissors, but my edges are never straight.

Your work is absolutely amazing. I'm totally subscribing to this topic.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

What material did you use to make your belts?

How did you cut the edge of the soda can so that your rivet lines are straight? The best way I've found to cut a soda can is with scissors, but my edges are never straight.

Your work is absolutely amazing. I'm totally subscribing to this topic.

Can't wait to see what you do next.

Hi!

The belts: aluminium foil from a green tea box - it is not flat but has a rectangular pattern pressed into it. I use it folded to itself - on the photo you can see the two layers. You can see a bigger slice of it on the aft sidewall - covered with the same material.

Soda can cutting: scribe it along a metal ruler with your x-acto about two-three times using not too much pressure - you have to have a not too deep "panel line". After it you can break it off folding it back and forth and it will break along the scribed - straight - line.

Hope this helps,

Zoli

Hi!

The belts: aluminium foil from a green tea box - it is not flat but has a rectangular pattern pressed into it. I use it folded to itself - on the photo you can see the two layers. You can see a bigger slice of it on the aft sidewall - covered with the same material.

Soda can cutting: scribe it along a metal ruler with your x-acto about two-three times using not too much pressure - you have to have a not too deep "panel line". After it you can break it off folding it back and forth and it will break along the scribed - straight - line.

Hope this helps,

Zoli

Which brand of tea? I need some of that foil.

Hi everyone!

As I mostly finished riveting the fuselage I started to paint the cockpit pieces (before that the sidewalls were glued into the fuselage halves). I sprayed Gunze Light Ghost Grey as primer first:

f4j_66.JPG

f4j_64.JPG

f4j_65.JPG

Then, after careful masking I painted the black areas (and olive drab "boxes") and added some shadows to the sidewalls:

f4j_67.JPG

f4j_68.JPG

f4j_69.JPG

f4j_70.JPG

f4j_71.JPG

Now I'll have to paint the small details using a very fine brush. For me this one seems the hardest part...

Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Zoli

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

More than a week passed since I've posted the last pics. All the cockpit parts were detail painted since then. The results are acceptable at some places, but there are parts I wanted to paint better - but can't. The finished model will look good from half a meter away, but not closer.

What I'm quite disappointed about is the rear instrument panel (the scratchbuilt one) and the side consoles. All these are missing the switches and buttons - I tried to paint the details, but as you will see, these are not look so well. I accept (and ask for) any suggestions from the scratch masters here about building switches and buttons... How can you glue slices of 0.2-0.4mm diameter stretched sprue onto the consoles?

So here are the finished parts...

f4j_72.JPG

f4j_73.JPG

f4j_74.JPG

f4j_75.JPG

f4j_76.JPG

f4j_77.JPG

Continued in the next post...

...continued from the previous post

Cockpit tub, with the not-so-nice side consoles...

f4j_78.JPG

f4j_79.JPG

Front IP, looks OK (the buttons, you now):

f4j_80.JPG

Low quality rear IP:

f4j_81.JPG

All the parts before putting them back to the box (as I have to build everything in the front wheel well before assembling this)...

f4j_82.JPG

On this last pic you can see what I was saying about the distance - seeing from a distance the parts look good enough... :whistle:

I hope you like it and thanks for watching. Comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Zoli

very nice stuff Zoli. I have this beast of a kit and was going to get rid of it. Now I have a very nice reference to add some details. Keep the posts coming.

Semper Fi

Dan

Hi Dan!

Many thanks!

If you are to use this build as a reference you must know that I would do (will do next time? :woot.gif: ) it differently at least at one point:

- the seat bucket (and the cushion) is too wide on the model - the upper and the lower parts have almost the same width on the real seat. The kit part is much wider at the lower part. If I could start it over, I would remove the excess material from the lower part of the seat (the cushion) and drop the kit part seat sides. Those would be replaced with thin plastic sheet using the original kit parts as reference.

- doing this means the seat would be significantly (2mm about) narrower than the place it fits into the cockpit tub. I would close this extra space and make the side consoles wider by adding plastic sheet on top of the original and to the side of the tub.

By doing these things it would look more like the original cockpit (and I would have more space to add details to the side consoles). Unfortunately I realized this after I've painted everything so I won't change it now... but maybe next time...

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone,

time for a little update. This time I added some details to the front landing gear and wheel well.

Started up with the original kit parts... there are many flaws including spartan details, ejector pin marks, flash and molding errors.

f4j_83.JPG

Ejector pin marks on the fine riveting of the gear doors (don't know how to fix this...)

f4j_84.JPG

Anyway, the whole thing is a bit rough and simple. The inside details were scraped and sanded flat:

f4j_85.JPG

And using reference photos some detailing added:

f4j_86.JPG

f4j_87.JPG

f4j_88.JPG

The front landing gear got the same treatment. All details were sanded:

f4j_89.JPG

And added some scratched bits:

f4j_90.JPG

Front landing gear dryfitted:

f4j_91.JPG

f4j_92.JPG

This is it. I can tell you that scratchbuilding is quite addictive... :beer4:

I hope you like it. Thanks for watching. Comments welcomed as usual.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs
Very nice scratch building.. Kept in check, but very effective.

-Al

Hi Al!

Thank you!

The generic rule for me is to create something that looks busy (make it look like a complex machine, not a simple piece of plastic). Of course everything should look like the original piece but I do not want to overdo it - that way one build would span over my entire lifetime... :woot.gif:

Fantastic Zoli,simply fantastic! <_<

:thumbsup: Gianni

Hi Gianni!

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Zoli

Zoli,

For the buttons on your side consoles, it is easier if you do them before you put the pieces of the console onto the tub. If you feel like doing it, you could recreate all the panels, but before you install them, drill locator holes all the way through the panes, and insert you strectched sprue throught the underside. Glue and cut the sprue to the desired length from the under side. Sand the bottom, then install the panels.

Dials can be made by punching tiny discs, gluing them to the panels, then laying a piece of stretched sprue across the disc. Glue the sprue, then cut it to lenght, and you have a dial. It is hard to get them to scale, but you will have some three dimensional detail.

Hope that helps.