Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Gregg, Filipe, Qian, Tblood988, thank you very much!

Qian: I'm just doing the rivets on the wings. I'll attach some pictures of them in my next post.

Zoli,

For the buttons on your side consoles, it is easier if you do them before you put the pieces of the console onto the tub. If you feel like doing it, you could recreate all the panels, but before you install them, drill locator holes all the way through the panes, and insert you strectched sprue throught the underside. Glue and cut the sprue to the desired length from the under side. Sand the bottom, then install the panels.

Dials can be made by punching tiny discs, gluing them to the panels, then laying a piece of stretched sprue across the disc. Glue the sprue, then cut it to lenght, and you have a dial. It is hard to get them to scale, but you will have some three dimensional detail.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the helpful tips, Tblood988! It will help in my next project (I wont restart the tub at this stage, being too lazy for this :cheers: ). I'm sure it will work because I've just tried your suggested technique for buttons on a piece of plastic sheet with some streched sprue. Works fine (added 15 switches in no time...), thanks again! ARC rulz! :woot.gif:

Cheers,

Zoli

Gregg, Filipe, Qian, Tblood988, thank you very much!

Qian: I'm just doing the rivets on the wings. I'll attach some pictures of them in my next post.

Thanks for the helpful tips, Tblood988! It will help in my next project (I wont restart the tub at this stage, being too lazy for this <_< ). I'm sure it will work because I've just tried your suggested technique for buttons on a piece of plastic sheet with some streched sprue. Works fine (added 15 switches in no time...), thanks again! ARC rulz! :huh:

Cheers,

Zoli

No problem. I actually learned that here, so I can't take all of the credit. I don't blame you for not starting over. It would be a lot of work to get those off.

Hi everyone!

Just a quick photo update... Upper and lower wing halves were spiced a bit up.

There were spartan details on the wings:

f4j_93.JPG

Rivets added:

f4j_94.JPG

Additional access panels scribed:

f4j_95.JPG

Lower wing half got the same treatment, plus I opened the aux. air intakes in the middle. The inside will be scratchbuilt later (with simplified details of course).

f4j_96.JPG

f4j_97.JPG

f4j_98.JPG

Next I'll build the auxiliary air intakes, glue wing halves and detail the main gears and wheel wells.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone,

the auxiliary air intakes were built. The inner details are simple and mostly scifi - I know that there should be the jet engines. :thumbsup:

The two boxes and the doors were built:

f4j_99.JPG

f4j_100.JPG

f4j_101.JPG

Then the inner gizmos were added and everything was dryfitted:

f4j_102.JPG

f4j_103.JPG

And finally the doors were finished and dryfitted:

f4j_104.JPG

f4j_105.JPG

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

Gianni, Al - thank you!

The exhaust was detailed as the next step. The kit has a wall at the rear, the nozzles should be glued onto it. The nozzles has no any details inside either. I thought that even a not-so-well built burner can is better than a highly visible wall there...

First I formed the tube from plastic sheet and built the afterburner:

f4j_106.JPG

Next step was to detail the inside of the nozzles:

f4j_107.JPG

f4j_108.JPG

Dryfitting all these together:

f4j_109.JPG

And finally cutting the ugly wall from the fuselage and dryfitting the tubes:

f4j_110.JPG

f4j_111.JPG

That's all - I hope you like this. Comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Wonderful detail work and riveting. What kinds of wires are you using in the gears and wheel bays? Is it lead wire? Also, how do you make the silver colored tapes that attach the wire to the landing gears? I tried to make them from aluminum foil a few times but could never got the results that you have. Any secrets?

Wonderful detail work and riveting. What kinds of wires are you using in the gears and wheel bays? Is it lead wire? Also, how do you make the silver colored tapes that attach the wire to the landing gears? I tried to make them from aluminum foil a few times but could never got the results that you have. Any secrets?

I'm using solder wire (0.5mm diameter). It is extremely soft and easy to bend to shape - mush better than the copper wire I used before (in the cockpit).

The silver colored tapes are simply thick aluminium foil (from wine or champagne bottles or so, mine is children tea's sealing foil - having two children I have a good source of it :worship: ), glued to place with CA glue. I cut a thin stripe of foil, dip the back side of it into a drop of CA glue (not so much, quickly wipe the excess), then put it onto the top of the wire. Gently press it around the wire with tweezer and then bend it around the landing gear leg. Finally cut the excess. No secrets - I use the simplest methods only... :jaw-dropping:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Zoli

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

It's time for a quick photo update...

The main landing gears got the same treatment as the nose gear: flash was sanded down and some details were added.

f4j_112.JPG

The (rough) details and the ejector pin marks in the gear wells were sanded down to make room for scratching.

f4j_113.JPG

Smaller parts belonging to the wings are finished (flaps and airbrakes):

f4j_114.JPG

f4j_115.JPG

Wings assembled. I had to hide the rear wall - cutting the unnecessary curves from there leaved two ugly holes per wing. Two little piece of plastic sheet were cut and glued into the wheel well.

f4j_116.JPG

f4j_117.JPG

After gluing these inplace, I started the detailing (long way to go, already 40+ small pieces added):

f4j_118.JPG

That's all for now. I hope you like it. Comments welcomed.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

Another quick update of building the main wheel wells (I also found a better white balance setting on the camera)...

f4j_119.JPG

f4j_120.JPG

f4j_121.JPG

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

Alain, Gianni and Holmes, thank you!

Finally the main wheel wells are finished. Not 100% accurate, some parts are a little oversized but it`s enough for me (my eyes are still crossed now :cheers: )...

Here are the parts I built into them last:

f4j_122.JPG

f4j_123.JPG

f4j_124.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Gianni, miguelgala - thank you very much! miguelgala, I'd like to see your work, please start a topic for the F-4 build!

After about one month of silence (got a new job and the startup took all my time) here's a quick photo update. I joined the fuselage halves (no photos) and before I attached the wings I had to paint and assemble the auxiliary air intakes.

The insides are painted:

f4j_125.JPG

The outside was painted red, and the inside was painted green zinc chromate:

f4j_126.JPG

f4j_127.JPG

Finally the parts were assembled:

f4j_128.JPG

Hope you like it. Next time I'll assemble the airframe and start painting it.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Two months passed since I worked on this one last time... One of the reasons of this big delay can be found in my Super Hornet topic... :worship:

Since the last update I built the cockpit and the fuselage. There were gaps here and there on the nose, there I added some plastic sheet and filled the smaller holes with super glue mixed with talcum powder (I think it is the best filler).

Pictures of the assembled cockpit (for the photos I added the seats also):

f4j_129.JPG

f4j_130.JPG

f4j_131.JPG

f4j_132.JPG

f4j_133.JPG

Tonight I added some decorations to the middle canopy part and masked it (inside and outside). Then dryfitted it:

f4j_134.JPG

That's all for now. Thanks for watching.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs
  • 4 months later...