Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Hi everyone!

The landing gear wells are finished yesterday and I shot some photos if you do not mind... ;) You will see a lot of inaccuracies on the pictures (e.g. the pencil lines a bit ugly) but please keep in mind that these are macro photos and the wells are much smaller in real life... You know, the digital camera is sometimes our worst enemy. ;)

f4j_158.JPG

f4j_159.JPG

f4j_160.JPG

f4j_161.JPG

f4j_162.JPG

f4j_163.JPG

f4j_164.JPG

f4j_165.JPG

f4j_166.JPG

f4j_167.JPG

And now I have to buy another glass of Tamiya Flat White and mask the wheel wells...

That's all for today, thanks for checking!

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Zoli, just saw this thread and I must say you are doing super. I love the detail and paint work on the wheel wells. Also, nice touch of adding your info within pics. Keep it coming...cause its all good ;)

Mike

Zoli, just saw this thread and I must say you are doing super. I love the detail and paint work on the wheel wells. Also, nice touch of adding your info within pics. Keep it coming...cause its all good ;)

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot! TBH I learned many of these tricks on the ARC forum. This includes the info on photos thing also. Unfortunately I can't draw nice girls and superb comics like ChuckW does... :)

Wow, this is some incredible work your doing on this kit Zoli! What tool are you using for the rivits? You have given yourself away, we know now that your the mad riviter from Hobbyboss! :woot.gif:

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

thank you! I use simple tools: a "metal ruler" cut from a soda can and an old dart to make the rivets. And noooo, I'm not the HB riveter - I hope my rivets are smaller. ;)

Cheers,

Zoli

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Finally, there is updated after a long waiting. Amazing Phantom!!

Thanks! You know, so many models, so little time... I built other models meanwhile.

Today I post pictures about the preshading process. I decided to try to preshade every rivet lines and this was a challenge for my average airbrush and my painting skills also (not to mention my not too stable hands). But the final result seems to be acceptable by my opinion... Pictures...

f4j_168.JPG

f4j_169.JPG

f4j_170.JPG

f4j_171.JPG

f4j_172.JPG

Another post to follow with more pics...

JESUS CHRIST...

:jaw-dropping:

You are mad, Zoli.

I knew that you are using the post-shading (and we all know the excellent results) but this time you are showing some miracle for us.

I am thinking...what if...your hands were STABLE? :blink:

Regards,Laz

Many thanks, guys! :)

All I can say is WOW! How did you get your preshading so straight? Did you use a ruler for guide while you spray or free hand?

Eric

Thanks Eric!

The lines are not really straight if you take a closer look. It was done freehand - I used quite low air pressure and thin black paint. Thus I had to paint over every line 4-5 times (or more) to make the paint cover the surface. This means that every line is an "average" - and the errors are not really visible as the paint was thin.

Indeed!!!!...it is magnificent.

Thank you, Clif!

JESUS CHRIST...

:jaw-dropping:

You are mad, Zoli.

I knew that you are using the post-shading (and we all know the excellent results) but this time you are showing some miracle for us.

I am thinking...what if...your hands were STABLE? :blink:

Regards,Laz

Hi Laz!

All modelers are mad, aren't we? ;) If my hands were stable, I would use thicker paint and would do the same thing much quicker. Painting this "web" onto the aircraft took 2x2 hours of my life...

Cheers,

Zoli

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Very impressive to say the least.

Thank you Daryl!

Unbelievable how you create a great model from a bad kit!

Hi Santtu!

Thanks for the kind words!

Today I would like to post a brief update about painting the bottom side of the aircraft. My painting method is not the fastest but I am glad with the result. I hope you will like it.

f4j_179.JPG

f4j_180.JPG

f4j_181.JPG

f4j_182.JPG

f4j_183.JPG

The next step is to paint the top side, the black on the nose and painting the many small parts (almost all of them will be white - a bit boring color). I am still hesitating about painting the walkways or using the decals instead.

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi Zoli,

nice progress.

For me the shade of the white is a little bit too grey but it's maybe just because of the lighting you are using.

Otherwise...perfect.

Did you make a decision on the decals?Which plane will be built?

Regrads,Laz

Hi Zoli,

nice progress.

For me the shade of the white is a little bit too grey but it's maybe just because of the lighting you are using.

Otherwise...perfect.

Did you make a decision on the decals?Which plane will be built?

Regards,Laz

Hi Laz,

thanks a lot! You are absolutely right in both. Yes, I left it a little grayish as I did not want a "brand new white", "factory fresh" look. Still thinking about adding some dirt. I like the contrast when on an otherwise white but dirty plane the "factory fresh white" missiles "pop out", showing a totally different shade of white. I guess you have seen it on many photos and know what I mean.

On the other hand the light (and the camera) I use is not a studio quality thing, so the plane looks even more grayish because of it.

Markings: VFA-213 decals will be used from the kit - the shape of the black part on the nose for this scheme is still unclear so I will use a little bit of artistic license.

Cheers,

Zoli

Hello everyone!

Sorry for not replying earlier but life got in the way again - panic before the release date as it is usual in the IT sector. Thus I do not have too much time to continue the paintwork - but some panels on the upper side had already received the first layer of gull gray color (sorry, no photos yet).

Great job my friend!

You show how convert some scrap plastic in a model! :thumbsup:

The decals of what timeframe are?

I will check my books to find some useful pics.

Gianni :cheers:

Thanks Gianni!

I will use the kits decal sheet, it says August 1974. But I do not really want to paint that curved black scheme on the nose. I prefer the straight one with having those small "intakes" on the nose also black.

Fantastic work and very clean and smooth finish!!

Thanks Mario!

Hi Zoli! Your Phantom - very impressive work. I have no idea how you resist on shading process. Perfect job.When we will see Exhaust& Sory for my english

With best regards, Volodya.

Thank you very much Volodya!

I will paint the exhausts at the end so you have to be patient for a while... Considering my speed on this build, just 1-2 years and it will be finished (just kidding) :)

Zoli, your added details and paintwork is truly top notch.

Thank you Shawn!

Cheers,

Zoli

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Zoli

This is so cool! You've done such an impressive job of bringing this kit to life. I'm really excited to see what the finished Phantom looks like.

Thank you, cabo91! I hope now I will have the necessary time to push it closer to the finish line! :)

A quick update from the start of the Xmas holiday just to prove that this build is still rolling... Today's update is about painting the Light Gull Gray on the top side. I used the same method as on the bottom side - painting the middle of the small panels with the color and blend the preshaded panel lines into the surface later. Photos:

f4j_184.JPG

f4j_185.JPG

f4j_186.JPG

f4j_187.JPG

f4j_188.JPG

f4j_189.JPG

f4j_190.JPG

f4j_191.JPG

I quite enjoyed the process as the surface colors were developed while I was airbrushing it.

Hope you like and comment it!

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi Zoli,

this is what I call Masterclass.

I really enjoy the style how you are building your models.

I liked the Nighthawk, I loved the Intruders but this one is the best so far...I'm speechless.

I hope your X-mas holidays will be long enough to finish this beauty.

Regards,Laz