Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Zoli, Yer Phantom is gorgeous :thumbsup:/> So it makes perfect sense... Paint the middle of the panel first, then go over the pre-shading until you get the effect you like. This is some great advice man, Thanks!!

:cheers:/>

/Jesse

Hello everyone!

First of all, many many thanks to you all for the kind words!

Hi Zoli,

this is what I call Masterclass.

I really enjoy the style how you are building your models.

I liked the Nighthawk, I loved the Intruders but this one is the best so far...I'm speechless.

I hope your X-mas holidays will be long enough to finish this beauty.

Regards,Laz

Laz, thanks a lot! I hope I won't ruin my reputation later on. I wish I would be at least close to master class... I'm still just a hobbist, remember? ;)/>

Zoli, you are very badass in modeling... Your techniques are impressive...

Thanks, Barracuda250! I learnt most of these techniques here on ARC forums.

Zoli, Yer Phantom is gorgeous :thumbsup:/> So it makes perfect sense... Paint the middle of the panel first, then go over the pre-shading until you get the effect you like. This is some great advice man, Thanks!!

:cheers:/>

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse!

I learnt this technique here on ARC forums somewhere. There's another version of it, similar to post-shading - I have seen that many times on Spanish modeling forums. Paint the surface using the original color without any tricks, "preshade" it with black (or a contrasting color) and repaint the surface again lightly misting the original color. This way you can control the effect more easier than at the post-shading technique.

Nice work so far, what did you use for a riveting tool?

Thanks jfmajor60! I used the simplest tools: "metal ruler" cut from soda can, masking tape to hold the ruler and an old dart to make the rivets one-by-one.

Update with today's work is coming in minutes in the next post.

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone!

Today I masked and painted the black parts on the airframe. Nose cone, anti-glare panel, etc. Check out the photos.

f4j_192.JPG

f4j_193.JPG

f4j_194.JPG

f4j_195.JPG

f4j_196.JPG

f4j_197.JPG

f4j_198.JPG

I like this plane more and more as it takes shape with the paint on. The next part will be painting the walkways on - instead of using decals.

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone!

Not bad, but where you have panel line around the radom?

Thanks Honza! It is nice to see one of the real master modelers in my topic!

Panel line around the radome: good spot, thanks for pointing this out. TBH, I simply forgot to rescribe it. The Italeri kit's nose cone had a bad fit, I had to sand and fill a lot and finally that panel line gone and was not scribed again. As it seems to be too late to fix it, this will be the first on the long list of known problems on this model. :deadhorse1:

great job masking, really sharp paint work.

Thank you Shawn!

Cheers,

Zoli

Thanks Honza! It is nice to see one of the real master modelers in my topic!

Panel line around the radome: good spot, thanks for pointing this out. TBH, I simply forgot to rescribe it. The Italeri kit's nose cone had a bad fit, I had to sand and fill a lot and finally that panel line gone and was not scribed again. As it seems to be too late to fix it, this will be the first on the long list of known problems on this model. :deadhorse1:

Cheers,

Zoli

Honza only got it half right. He said, "Not Bad", when he should have said, "Fantastic"! Your detail is beautiful- which should really show in the final product. :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Honza only got it half right. He said, "Not Bad", when he should have said, "Fantastic"! Your detail is beautiful- which should really show in the final product. :thumbsup:/>

Agree with that.

Regards,Laz

Hello everyone,

many thanks for the kind words.

Hi Zoli,

looks OK for me. :thumbsup:

It is getting shape nicely.

Regards,L

Thanks Laz!

Honza only got it half right. He said, "Not Bad", when he should have said, "Fantastic"! Your detail is beautiful- which should really show in the final product. :thumbsup:

Thank you Chuck - kind words from a master modeler! I can just hope that the final result of this project will be OK and I won't mess it up.

:thumbsup::woo::banana:

dude this build is AWESOME

Thank you USMC6094!

Today's update in the next post...

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone!

Just a small update for today - "decal painting". I do not really like walkway decals - it is better to paint them and fade them with some airbrushing. TBH, the fading could be a bit stronger in this case but it is OK for me in this form either. I also painted the top of the vertical stab as it had a decal but the surface is too irregular to put a decal onto it.

Photos:

f4j_199.JPG

f4j_200.JPG

f4j_201.JPG

f4j_202.JPG

f4j_203.JPG

f4j_204.JPG

f4j_205.JPG

f4j_206.JPG

f4j_207.JPG

I hope you like it. This might be my last post till Xmas as tomorrow the little ones won't go to the kindergarten so their daddy can't inhale the paint fumes all day... :whistle:

Merry Christmas to all of you - and find some plastic under the tree! :coolio:

Cheers,

Zoli

Zoli,

Masterful job of this F-4. Hope I can get remotely close to this level of perfection on my Italeri F-4J which I have slated with markings from VMFA-333.

Inspiring stuff - I may have to paint the walkways and everything. :cheers:

Merry Christmas,

David,

(hoping there is plastic under your tree too!)

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the kind words - sorry for not replying immediately...

Long time goes since my last update. During this time I did some minor progress that will be shown here. Since Xmas I painted some small parts, clear-coated the underside of the bird and started the decaling process also (and finished another model, a Lamborghini Murcielago :whistle: ). I would like to finish the Phantom this year but who knows...

Pictures:

f4j_208.JPG

f4j_209.JPG

f4j_210.JPG

f4j_211.JPG

f4j_212.JPG

f4j_213.JPG

f4j_214.JPG

Continued in the next post...

f4j_215.JPG

f4j_216.JPG

f4j_217.JPG

f4j_218.JPG

f4j_219.JPG

f4j_220.JPG

BTW, one more excuse to not building this model: my son (age 7) started to learn modeling this summer. He finished his first simple model together with the proud dad... ;)

I hope you like this little update.

Cheers,

Zoli

Clicked on the link and had to go back to the very beginning. Words can't describe your talent but, I'll try. This , along with your other models, is AMAZING stuff !! Your attention to detail is incredible, your scratch building is off the chart and, your ability with an airbrush is outstanding !! Thanks for sharing these with us and definitely looking forward to seeing this one finished up and future builds.

Steve

Your attention to detail is incredible, your scratch building is off the chart and, your ability with an airbrush is outstanding !!

Exactly as he said. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see more.

Regards,Laz