Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the long hiatus - meanwhile I made some progress on the Phantom but had no time to post pictures.

I agree very nice Phantom. Can't wait to see finished product!!!!!

Thanks Jeremy! I started it in 2010 - hope to finish it this year...

lovely work so far. I'm watching this one :coolio:

Thanks, Rocat!

Wow mate,

your model turned out splendid!

My only doubt is about the panel wash,too dark;but this is only a my very personal consideration that does not detract from the magnificent work carried out! :thumbsup:

:cheers: Gianni

Hi Gianni, many thanks! I had hoped that the flat coat will fade that dark wash - it didn't. But - I still like it this way.

Bump bump bump! Seriously, I absolutely love your modeling style! If there's anyone on the forums (ANY forum) that I'd wish I could emulate -- it's yours!

Hi Shaka, thanks for the kind word! I learnt most of these techniques here on ARC - does it mean that I also emulate other ARC modelers (I think so)? :)

Zoli, hello. Finaly You are back. Glad to see You with your Phantom. I'm amazed with it. Great work.

Thank you Barracuda250!

Awesome work!

Thanks, speedlimit!

I'm amazed with this work. When I saw the pictures in the late post I judged that was the Academy kit!

Thanks pacheco! This build took too much time - Academy meanwhile created a new kit that made all my fixes on this one obsolete. A usual thing that happens when you spend too much time on a build... :)

Thanks for the kind words guys - I add new pictures in the next post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Hi Guys

First time looking at this build! Absolutly amazing ZAgocs! Congrats

Super "Clean" Stuff, awosome looking Phantom!

Best regards

Filipe

Thank you Filipe!

This build is just absolutely gorgeous!

(I actually have an old ESCI Phantom, I was gonna ditch, but this build has inspired me to keep it and build it when I am damn good and ready!)

Thanks Shaka! Believe me, you are always ready - start the model and become better and better.

Sexy phantom!! my kind of build!

Thank you kike!

Now, as I promised in the previous post - missiles.

f4j_238.JPG

f4j_239.JPG

f4j_240.JPG

f4j_241.JPG

f4j_242.JPG

f4j_243.JPG

f4j_244.JPG

f4j_245.JPG

f4j_246.JPG

f4j_247.JPG

These are almost completed - only some pencil lines and rivets are missing. I hope you like them.

Cheers,

Zoli

Awesome! An update! Dude..I started coming here just for your build and a few others.

To be honest, I'm not very convinced with the painted stenciling. I think it could work if it didn't stick out so much.

But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Shaka HI
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Zoli,

Neat work mate. Beautiful build so far! Well done.

Thanks, Andrew!

Awesome! An update! Dude..I started coming here just for your build and a few others.

To be honest, I'm not very convinced with the painted stenciling. I think it could work if it didn't stick out so much.

But that's just my opinion.

Hi Shaka!

Thank you - it is always a good feeling that my works inspires people.

The stencils are a bit too contrasting, really, you are right. This is the first time I tried it and now I would try it with gray color instead of black and white.

Zoli!!! Finaly You are here. So interesting pages with description i didn't saw yet!!!

I wish You best regards. Take it on that Way!!!

Thank you Volodya!

So Gentlemen,

here is some minor progress coming in photos. There are some steps I was too lazy to take photos of, like painting and assembling the exhausts and the arresting hook, etc. But - after four years - this model hopefully sees the display case soon!

f4j_252.JPG

f4j_253.JPG

f4j_254.JPG

Currently I am doing the final assembly and only the canopies are missing. I hope next time I can post photos of the Phinished Phantom... ;)

Cheers,

Zoli

Hi everyone!

I cannot really believe but this neverending build ended. The Phantom is FINISHED. Finally. :woot.gif:

f4j_255.JPG

f4j_256.JPG

f4j_257.JPG

f4j_258.JPG

f4j_259.JPG

f4j_260.JPG

f4j_261.JPG

Continued in the next post.

Edited by ZAgocs

Continued from the previous post...

f4j_262.JPG

f4j_263.JPG

f4j_264.JPG

f4j_265.JPG

f4j_266.JPG

f4j_267.JPG

f4j_268.JPG

f4j_269.JPG

f4j_270.JPG

f4j_271.JPG

I hope you like the final result (after almost four years :)/> ).

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Outstanding build! you inspired me to do a lot of stuff, I correct you inspired me to try!,on my build. And my phantom is going great! yours is not on the same league!

Thanks for taking the time to show your progress so we can learn!

Completely awesome!

I would go to Hungary just to see your Phantom in person (to buy it and if you won't sell it -- I would steal it!!)! Congratulations!

(Would appreciate your camera settings/model if you have no issue revealing them.)

Hi everyone!

Outstanding build! you inspired me to do a lot of stuff, I correct you inspired me to try!,on my build. And my phantom is going great! yours is not on the same league!

Thanks for taking the time to show your progress so we can learn!

Thank you, kike! I started to get curious about the build you speak about and checked it - and realized that I have seen it many times. Your Japanese Phantom is simply superb I think. Glad to hear that my work gave you some inspiration. And it seems we have a similar taste, I also plan to build an A-10 Thunderbolt, it is already in my stash...

My goodness Zoli, your craftsmanship is top notch :worship: Congrats.

/Jesse

Thanks, Jesse!

Just a quick look at your signature tells me you are already through the tasks that are ahead of me - Super Hornet and Tomcat build. Very nice ones indeed, I will ask for some weathering tips - this is what is missing from this Phantom.

Completely awesome!

I would go to Hungary just to see your Phantom in person (to buy it and if you won't sell it -- I would steal it!!)! Congratulations!

(Would appreciate your camera settings/model if you have no issue revealing them.)

Hi Shaka!

Would you sell it right after finishing a four-year long build? :)

You asked my photo settings - TBH I am not a photographer so I do not know how to tell these precisely. I can tell you the amateurish way... ;)

So, I have a zero-cost DIY light tent/white box. A large paper box with white paper glued onto the walls inside. Blue paper is put to the bottom. I have DIY photo lights - means simple desk lamps. These are used to light just the sides of the box. Small sheets of white paper are added to the lamp to prevent them light the model directly. The papers are tied to the lamps using masking tape - very professional, indeed. :D

To take the photo, I have a compact camera - Canon Powershot A85, a cheap one. I use it in macro mode to take the photos. The only special setting is the "custom white balance". Instead of a totally white object I use a larger part of an unbuilt model for the setup - this is light gray. This way the photos look better. That's all.

Cheers,

Zoli

Thnx for taking the time to look at my Hikotai Phantom! but helas! I saw your build after finishing that one! I'm working on a RF-4E Phantom and it's there where I'm using your tips! I'll open a thread shortly to show what I'm doing, and I'd be more than thankful to have your appreciation at the amateur job I'm doing there!

No need to tell you I'm looking forward for that A-10 build!

Zoli,magnificent model! Can you tell me what diagram you used for your rivets? I have a couple of old Esci F-4 kits that I would very much like to do the same. Would greatly appreciate to know your source. Thank you for the inspiration and your help!

Edited by Big Texan

Hi guys!

Thnx for taking the time to look at my Hikotai Phantom! but helas! I saw your build after finishing that one! I'm working on a RF-4E Phantom and it's there where I'm using your tips! I'll open a thread shortly to show what I'm doing, and I'd be more than thankful to have your appreciation at the amateur job I'm doing there!

No need to tell you I'm looking forward for that A-10 build!

Hi Kike!

Now I see. Getting more and more curious about the new Phantom of yours! :coolio:

BTW, this is how tips are spreading across the ARC forum: most of the tips for scratchbuilding the Phantom cockpit are coming from agelos2005 (Periklis) awesome Phantom build (unfortunately it seems that some of the photos at the start of the thread were already deleted).

A-10: it would take me some time to start that build, first I have to finish my "current" project started parallel to the Phantom: my Super Hornet (also a scratchbuild victim).

Zoli,magnificent model! Can you tell me what diagram you used for your rivets? I have a couple of old Esci F-4 kits that I would very much like to do the same. Would greatly appreciate to know your source. Thank you for the inspiration and your help!

Thanks, Big Texan!

I downloaded a large amount of photos and some drawings from the net and used those as sources. Do a quick image google for phantom detail drawing and you will get a number of results for the rivets and panel lines. As I am not a "rivet counter" I cannot be absolutely sure that my riveting is precise... The surface looks "busy" and looks like a Phantom, it is enough for me.

Completely awesome phantom, but i would be make a little bit more wash

Best regards Alex :coolio:

Thanks Alex!

Yep, weathering is one of my weakest points (amongst others). I am thinking about buying an 1/72 Tomcat and try out all the weathering tips I have seen on ARC before as a practice run.

Cheers,

Zoli