NEW White inkjet printer ink

Can it be overlayed?

If it's inkjet, my guess would be probably not. Inkjets are pretty much single-pass printers. ALPS printers have a function where they lock in the paper position for running the paper back and forth to allow overlay.

It looks like the white is a bit more opaque than a single run of Alps white. However it's on a mid-blue background. Would probably be ok on a slightly lighter background, but would require manual overlay (multiple white decals overlayed by hand in application to the model) for anything darker. Probably do well for three overlayed decals (two white topped by the color one).

hmm..this is interesting. It would make decal printing SOO much easier. I can't seem to find any info on their site. Is this available now??

Sean

Hi Sean

This is an experimental ink that myself and an ink company have been working on for about a year.It will be only be used on a certain Epson Printer,you will need a Brand New one and brand new empty cartridges and the the new ink.I have test quantity to try,i have had to pay for it.Its not cheap

But as you can see it works possibly the worlds first White Inkjet Printer that can print on to clear decal.

Paul

Where do I get it? Is it available in the US, and which Epson model?

Thanks,

John

Hi John

The company is currently pantienting the ink for legal reasons i cannot say who and the ink type.

Also the epson printer is envolved in the legal process

All im allowed to tell you its not a solvent ink,and it has made for a certain Epson printer due to the printer head

and it cannot be used on any other printer.But at least we have a new way of printing white ink other than Alps

Paul

I've often thought about just using my Alps for white then laying a more precise/colorful inkjet decal over the top. This would be basically the same result for folks with that model Epson printer. Problem is I always have trouble with the inkjet quality...

I've often thought about just using my Alps for white then laying a more precise/colorful inkjet decal over the top. This would be basically the same result for folks with that model Epson printer. Problem is I always have trouble with the inkjet quality...

Hi Mark

The quality of the white is superb,and dense you cannot see throught it.The only probelm i see is it being cost effective for us modellers.I worked out a cartridge full 20ml works out to £25.00 GBP each but you can do a lot with 20ml.Im hearing they are only going to sell it in 500ml bottles.

Will keep informed of any developments on this side of the pond

Paul

So I'm assuming that this would be used as a replacement for one of the color cartridges. If you replaced the black cartridge with white ink, you'd have to invert the colors on your artwork before you printed, so the computer would think it's printing black, but it's printing white. This could also mess up doing colored decals, though. if a color needs to be mixed using black as one of the CMYK colors, and it gets white instead, you'd get some pretty funky colors.

Awesome product though. It'll be really cool to print white drawings onto colored paper.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
Hi All

I am pleased to announce a white inkjet printer ink from Parkes682Decals

here's the photos.These are printed on to clear decal using white made for a certain model Epson Inkjet Printer have a look at the results

P3070023-1.jpg

alps1002.jpg

Hi,

This topic is extremely interesting, because of the new technology itself, and because the Epson could be a much more reliable substitute to Alps printers which are pretty slow and which are far from exellence in terms of printing.

If the new technology will let modelers print photo-realistic images, and also will have a white color - this would be a REAL progress.

What is the DPI characteristic of this printer?

Whould it be precise enough to pirint, for instance, stencilling in 72 scale?

Will it be designed as CMYK+W, i.e. will use 5 cartriges in a row? Or it can be a standard model (one from Epson row), in which one of the cartiges can be replaced?

Best regards,

Alex.

is it the same to your product??

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro...UseBVCookie=yes

http://www.bluelinemedia.com.au/news-archi...-hdr-white-ink/

Although it is quite Hi-end at this moment, a home/office printer is possible in the near future ~~

Cool printer... a tad too expensive however... (and 11 cartridges!!!!).

Anyway, answering RedHeadKevin, I would use a different approach to avoid mess up things...

When using an inkjet decal over a dark painted model, you don't need only to print white on the areas that must be white... you need first of all to print a white background on all the artwork. So it would be simpler to have 2 decals: one with the whole area on the markings printed white, and then another decal printed in color to slide over the white decal, just as it happens on many aftermaket decals....

I don't know if I explained it well... but using for example a classic "star & bars" american insigna, you'd need to print first all a white area that's the size of the whole marking (and if you place the white ink instead of the black cartridge it must be an all-black image, so blue, red and white areas all must be changed to black on the file image), then print another decal with just the blue and red parts (in this case with all the standard cartridges fitted).

I think for the foreseeable future I'll be sticking with the Alps solution. I can stock up on white if all else fails and overlay inkjet decals.

But for the Alps impaired, this looks really interesting. You'll still have to print the white and color layers separately, which means finding a super thin inkjet compatible decal film is a must. And, when my Alps either dies, runs out if ink, or no longer has a parallel port to connect to, this is an option for sure.

Which brings me to my next thought--are inkjet compatible papers still more costly than Alps or laser papers?

Hi All

Firstly,this ink is not made by Epson

Secondly,its made for A4 Epson printers not graphic printers.

It has just 4 cartridges in it

Most of these are solvent based,and some are water based.This one runs through Epsons ok no probelm.

The WT7900 is a graphic printer and costs about £7,000 GBP,this one costs about £100 GBP and is a A4 size printer

Hope this helps

Paul

Is there a problem with the paint being organic for long termprojects ? Since it is made for proofing does it have a life span ? ie will it break down over time ?

Hi Pinhead

The ink has a two year shelf life,I have just been trying to see how small the lettering will go and is still readable looks like .5 mm (half a millimetre) in size.Its the same as colour printing i can take that down to that size.

Its not a paint,or organic its a ink thats been specially made to go through a selective series of Epson printers due to there heads.The ink that Epson are running through there WT7900 series is totally different ink to this one this is denser.It prints in one pass.

Paul

Paul

What model printer are you using I see you comment that it is one of the A4 compatible printers (A4 is the print head type)

Curious as to what slot it take in the ink bay.

Most of these I have seen use upwards of 8 inks

William G

Paul

What model printer are you using I see you comment that it is one of the A4 compatible printers (A4 is the print head type)

Curious as to what slot it take in the ink bay.

Most of these I have seen use upwards of 8 inks

William G

Hi William

For leagal reasons the ink has to registed and paintented so i cannot tell you.

It uses 4 inks, only 4 bays

A4 is the size of paper

Hope this helps

Paul

Parkes682Decals

Hi William

For leagal reasons the ink has to registed and paintented so i cannot tell you.

It uses 4 inks, only 4 bays

A4 is the size of paper

Hope this helps

Paul

Parkes682Decals

Thanks Paul

From the 4 inks that would mean possibly CMYK for the tanks.

I think that would make it a fit in the black ink then...

Sets the printer to print white as black...

use black and white mode I am guessing.

Pretty cool...

May have to see about a 4th printer for the shop here then

William G