Testor Graphite Metallic (2712) Closest Equivalent

Hi all,

I'm trying to replicate F-22 Raptor metallic color based on mrvark's posting (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=143057&pid=1285784&mode=threaded&start=#entry1285784). Try as I might, I could not find local hobby shop that stocks Testor/MM Graphite Metallic (2712) enamel. Does anyone know the closest match to this color in other brands, in either enamels or acrylics (preferrably acrylics)?

Thanks muchly in advance.

EDIT: Locally in Melbourne, Australia, Gunze and Tamiya are the most well-stocked hobby paints, so closest match to either brand would be great. :wacko:

Edited by Mike C
Does your local hobby shop stock Alclad or can they get it?

Not that I know of. At least I haven't seen Alclad stocked locally anywhere. It's probably easier for me to ask one of them to order directly from Testor, rather than trying to find closest equivalent. It's just that, I was hoping I could try replicating the metallic sheen using acrylics.... Might be wishful thinking. :crying2:

The closest would be the various Gun Metal colors that the paint manufacturers make, but that is much lighter in shade and I'm not sure if the tone is right. You might also try replacing the Graphite with a black or almost-black at the same ratio - you'd get the right color but be slightly less metallic looking.

The closest would be the various Gun Metal colors that the paint manufacturers make, but that is much lighter in shade and I'm not sure if the tone is right. You might also try replacing the Graphite with a black or almost-black at the same ratio - you'd get the right color but be slightly less metallic looking.

OK. That's interesting. Looking at the rough color shade on the Testors web page, graphite metallic appears to have fairly similar shade to Tamiya's XF56 (Metallic Grey), rather than black.

OK. That's interesting. Looking at the rough color shade on the Testors web page, graphite metallic appears to have fairly similar shade to Tamiya's XF56 (Metallic Grey), rather than black.

They are similar but Graphite is darker, at least comparing models built using Tamiya Metallic Gray (like this one) and things I have painted with Testors Graphite on my own. For example, I painted the landing gear of my Predator with both Graphite and NATO black, and you can't really see the difference unless you are looking at it with a bright light. You can try to make the mix using Tamiya paints, but you would probably have to adjust the recommended ratio somewhat.

They are similar but Graphite is darker, at least comparing models built using Tamiya Metallic Gray (like this one) and things I have painted with Testors Graphite on my own. For example, I painted the landing gear of my Predator with both Graphite and NATO black, and you can't really see the difference unless you are looking at it with a bright light. You can try to make the mix using Tamiya paints, but you would probably have to adjust the recommended ratio somewhat.

Cool! Alright, I might try mixing Tamiya's flat aluminum with gloss black, and see how it looks. I've just tried mixing Tamiya's Metallic Grey with Flat Aluminum, the result is a weird light grey metallic (with almost a gold tinge). I'm beginning to think that this might be a lost cause because the acrylic metallic's pigment seems MUCH coarser than enamel/lacquer.

There's one crazy thing I'm thinking of: mixing acrylic gloss black with lacquer/enamel aluminum. Has anyone tried this?

Cool! Alright, I might try mixing Tamiya's flat aluminum with gloss black, and see how it looks. I've just tried mixing Tamiya's Metallic Grey with Flat Aluminum, the result is a weird light grey metallic (with almost a gold tinge).

Yes, the Graphite is a very neutral grey. When you are doing this, add the black slowly until you get the right shade because black black is darker than NATO black (which is a little darker than Graphite), and a little difference at the top end may be a big difference when you are lightening it with aluminum.

If that is the Graphite Metallic that I think it is, it is actually in their car line and it is GLOSS!

Yes. The Graphite Metallic is supposedly in their car line. Unfortunately, it's not readily available Down Under. I've asked the local hobby shop, and they said that I'd have to wait at least 8 weeks! So, I'm gonna try to replicate the color using Acrylics. The end result may look a bit coarser than enamels. Oh well... C'est la vie.... :crying2:

• 2 weeks later...
If you are looking for metalic colors in an acrylic product, have you looked at the Talon line of paints? http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/ Would require mailorder, but the product is a very good acrylic (water) line of metalic paints. 'Mr Hawkeye Hobbies' (Gerald Voigt) is a frequent poster here.

Hi Chuck, as it turns out, I don't have to look too hard. Mr Metal Color is actually acrylic, alcohol-based variety (similar to Tamiya). Found this out from Gosford Hobbies based in Australia, who listed the items as such on their website. They confirmed to me via email that the information came directly from Gunze.

Mike, Can you buy John Deere farming products in Australia? If so, you can do what I do. We farm and use a graphite powder from John Deere to make the corn "slip" easier through the planter, easier. It is a black powder and when rubbed down, it takes on a very nice dark, graphite metallic color. You can rub it on gloss or flat paint. I usually use gloss white. You can buy a lifetime supply for 20 modelers for a very reasonable price ($10.00 or less). I have never tried, but you might be able to mix it with some type of "vehicle" or thinner and make paint out of this stuff. It is a very fine powder. Make sure you wear a dust mask when you use it. It is so fine, that you shouldn't need to grind it to mix it with a liquid to try and make paint. Good luck!

Mike, Can you buy John Deere farming products in Australia? If so, you can do what I do. We farm and use a graphite powder from John Deere to make the corn "slip" easier through the planter, easier. It is a black powder and when rubbed down, it takes on a very nice dark, graphite metallic color. You can rub it on gloss or flat paint. I usually use gloss white. You can buy a lifetime supply for 20 modelers for a very reasonable price ($10.00 or less). I have never tried, but you might be able to mix it with some type of "vehicle" or thinner and make paint out of this stuff. It is a very fine powder. Make sure you wear a dust mask when you use it. It is so fine, that you shouldn't need to grind it to mix it with a liquid to try and make paint. Good luck!

Very interesting!! Farming product used in plastic modelling? Now, THAT'S creative thinking at its best! :wasntme:

Yes, we do have John Deere product here, but mostly farming equipment. Not sure if the wholesaler/importer also imports the graphite powder. I'm not pedantic enough to go down that path... YET! :wave: Will keep it in mind though.

Looking at Graphite Metallic in the bottle here, it seems closer to Tamiya Gunmetal then Metallic Gray (which looks close to Testors steel to my eye). Maybe a 50/50 mixture of Gunmetal to metallic gray might yield a close mix since both are metallics? Tinting the metallic gray with Tamiya smoke might also work as well as Tamiya smoke has more of a brownish black coloring then a straight black.

BTW, with Hasegawa recommending a new line of Gunze metallics for their Raptor kit, I am curious as to how available those might be in Australia? We haven't seen them in the states yet and I am hoping Sprue Brothers will potentially stock them.

Looking at Graphite Metallic in the bottle here, it seems closer to Tamiya Gunmetal then Metallic Gray (which looks close to Testors steel to my eye). Maybe a 50/50 mixture of Gunmetal to metallic gray might yield a close mix since both are metallics? Tinting the metallic gray with Tamiya smoke might also work as well as Tamiya smoke has more of a brownish black coloring then a straight black.

Hey Jay... thanks for your input. Might keep that in mind if I feel the need to experiment further :thumbsup: For now, I'm done with experimenting. What I'm gonna do is just use the "standard" Gunze acrylic, probably 4 different shades of gray (FS36320, FS36375, FS36118, and FS35237) for different parts of the Raptor. To achieve the metallic sheen, I'd simply use gloss clear tinted with a couple of drops of Mr Metal Color Aluminum.

BTW, with Hasegawa recommending a new line of Gunze metallics for their Raptor kit, I am curious as to how available those might be in Australia? We haven't seen them in the states yet and I am hoping Sprue Brothers will potentially stock them.

Yeah... heard about the new "SM" series of paint from Gunze. I asked a couple of hobby shops here, none of 'em ever heard of it. Oh well... Never mind. I'm not really that pedantic anyway. :D

• 10 years later...

Mrvarks paint mix was cooked up before Hasegawa came out with their Raptor who are up til today the only ones who addressed the raptor sheen in their paint call outs: they also went with the metallic paints + regular paints mixing routine. 50% Mr Color C315 + 50% Mr Super Metallics (2)04 stainless steel for the lighter grey and 50% Mr Color C317 + 50% Mr super Metallic  (2)03 iron. From my own experience I can tell you this colors and the sheen are spot on.