I really don't get this Toyota problem Update - HE FAKED IT

as said there is no excuse for not knowing how to stop a vehicle , if i had a system i was dubious about stopping i would want to know my nearest wire or fuse to pull
Sad to say, even if a fuse was close enough to a person to pull it out. One would be lucky with today's fuses to pull it out with out a tool. My self I have a set of needle nose pliers in my center console to pull my fuses.
agreed three seconds is a long time in some situations but this case was a prolonged ride and if true he refused to knock a gear drive train into neutral you have to ask patrolman or not was he realy fit to be a driver ??

They possibly should of made a deal out of the guy/girl and found some kind of fine for resisting safety wise what was asked of him or her.

They played the 911 call on CNN and the guy refused to shift into neutral, even though the 911 operator asked him to. He said he didn't know what might happen (um, your engine disconnects from the drive train and then you can stop the car?). Now I agree that the problem shouldn't have happened and must be fixed, but he takes a bit of the blame for his wild ride continuing for refusing to take action that could have stopped it.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical about people who say they tried to shift into neutral, but couldn't. Not saying it couldn't possibly be true, but find it difficult to believe that cars are designed that way. I can definitely understand an interlock to prevent shifting into reverse while moving, but not into neutral. I shifted my RAV4 into neutral at 50 mph yesterday (I was coming to a red light and there was no one behind me) and it worked fine.

I heard that 911 conversation this morning, too. He was toooooo busy driving to shift to NEUTRAL??? Give me a break!! Yet he had time to call 911!!! Right!!

Sounds like a set-up to me!!

Head of the line for Darwin Awards??? For sure!!

Bo Roberts

I heard that 911 conversation this morning, too. He was toooooo busy driving to shift to NEUTRAL??? Give me a break!! Yet he had time to call 911!!! Right!!

Sounds like a set-up to me!!

Head of the line for Darwin Awards??? For sure!!

Bo Roberts

Had me thinking it was a setup also. Tho listening to an original sound bite. I did not hear him say he was not trying or not going to shift into N. Sounded like he dropped the phone and no longer talking to the lady since a cop was around him? From the sound of the cop telling him to hold the button for five seconds. It did seem as if he did cut power.

Edited by Wayne S

Oh, wait- who owns GM? Oh yeah, the gov't and the people of the United States of America. Awful convenient time to promote an almost dead company...

and yes- I drive a Toyota. No problems to date, and still the best car I have ever owned.

Hi

I'll start off by saying I drive a Ford Fusion.

I find it kind of funny that GM recalling thousands of Cobalts & the Pontiac equivalent for steering problems is being ignored. On announcement in the news & it's on to Toyota.

Oh, wait- who owns GM? Oh yeah, the gov't and the people of the United States of America. Awful convenient time to promote an almost dead company...

It is all a conspiracy so Gov can funnel money from Japan to hide the excessive cost of the F-35 program :boohoo:

Hi

I'll start off by saying I drive a Ford Fusion.

I find it kind of funny that GM recalling thousands of Cobalts & the Pontiac equivalent for steering problems is being ignored. On announcement in the news & it's on to Toyota.

is it also not that far back that a certain ford 4x4 was taking people on white knuckle rides !!

Some of this is just getting a little far fetched. There's a problem, Toyota has admitted that it's a problem.

Rather than expecting everyone to react calmly and rationally in a panic situation why not design a car that doesn't put people in life threatening situations? Would those of you chiding these people for making dumb decisions when this happens feel the same way if it was your wife or son and/or daughter in the car?

Toyota screwed up, they ain't perfect, deal with it.

is it also not that far back that a certain ford 4x4 was taking people on white knuckle rides !!

Did anyone here ever claim Ford was perfect? I buy nothing but Fords but I'm not such a fanboy that I can't admit they screw up sometimes. The problem here is some Toyota owners have become so entrenched in the propaganda that they refuse to even consider that Toyota made a mistake. At least 34 people have died, should the problem be ignored so Toyota owners can maintain their pride?

Did anyone here ever claim Ford was perfect? I buy nothing but Fords but I'm not such a fanboy that I can't admit they screw up sometimes. The problem here is some Toyota owners have become so entrenched in the propaganda that they refuse to even consider that Toyota made a mistake. At least 34 people have died, should the problem be ignored so Toyota owners can maintain their pride?

Do not think Walmart sells dustpans that big.

as mentioned earlier ford screwed up with the pinto released that onto the market realising it was a deathtrap resulting in 200 deaths

toyota have not necesarily made a mistake just an unforeseen design error

they are admitting it on recalls

but at the same time a motor manufacturer cannot be responsible for drivers that do not understand knocking a vehicle into neutral and braking will stop it

the engine may blow , so what they are replaceable

speaking as a driver of many and diverse vehicles , the first thing you should be ready for is a car having a fault and doing something out of the ordinary

todays vehicles ( especialy toyotas ) have become so reliable drivers have lost the ability to deal with unexpected situations !!

Tornado

I wasn't referring to the cars at all, every manu. has recall problems. I was referring to the way the news is reporting each case & the way Congress is deciding they have to investigate one but not the other.

as mentioned earlier ford screwed up with the pinto released that onto the market realising it was a deathtrap resulting in 200 deaths

They didn't screw up, that was just an unforeseen design error.

Should have bought a Subaru... :wub:

:wasntme:

I can't even pronounce that! I stick with Ford because it's one of those easy one syllable words... ;)

Don't tell anyone but I once owned a Mitsubishi with a Chrysler badge on it! :whistle:

They didn't screw up, that was just an unforeseen design error.

Sounds like a bit of compartmentalizing here Mike. If it was a design problem with the Ford Pinto fuel tanks that would be a screw up....an error...a mistake......no matter what you want to call it. Call a spade a spade brother....if it was designed incorrectly and had the Ford logo on it then it was a problem by Ford.

Greg

Sounds like a bit of compartmentalizing here Mike. If it was a design problem with the Ford Pinto fuel tanks that would be a screw up....an error...a mistake......no matter what you want to call it. Call a spade a spade brother....if it was designed incorrectly and had the Ford logo on it then it was a problem by Ford.

Greg

Greg,

I was actually just having a bit of fun in response to this:

toyota have not necesarily made a mistake just an unforeseen design error

I think most problems that cars experince can be attributed to "unforeseen design errors". :whistle:

a gentleman in San Diego did call the police yesterday as his Prius went upwards of 90MPH, he was told to put the car in neutral and apply the brake, nothing happened. He also attempted to remove the key but it would not come out as the car was in gear. It took the police cruiser getting in front of him and letting the prius run into the back of his car while he slowed to get it to stop. Scary stuff!

I hope people have not read this thinking it was accurate. He did not try to shift into neutral.

I know with my military training I am trained for emergency contingencies. But I find a few things odd about this one.

Apparently this guy did know he had the neutral option. He said he was afraid to shift to neutral in case he pushed it through to reverse. There is a gate and a solenoid that mechanically locks out new vehicles from going into reverse while in motion. Even if he did not know this I feel the better option would have been to shift to neutral.

He also thought about turning off the engine but was worried it would lock his steering. It won't if he only moves it back to any of the accessory position.

But I understand he may not know the details I provided above. But he has confirmed he at least knew he had those options.

What concerns me is this:

This has profit through a lawsuit written all over it.

1. The Prius was not part of the recall.

2. It is in Calfornia.

3. He travelled 50 miles, called the Police and even the media during the long drive. He had it caught on film for sensationalism!

4. He immediately held a press conference.

5. He is huge lottery and gambling man. He fits the bill of someone who wants to make a quick profit.

I am willing to bet this will turn into a fraud case. And I know I am stepping out on a limb to say this. But the fact that he drove for 50 miles really makes this sound odd.

With the CHP officer he didn't have time to react. His car accelerated and he was killed before he could respond. It wasn't a prolonged drive for an hour (the Prius driver says with his foot on the brake he was traveling 50 miles per hour).

Something just doesn't seem right about this one.

I can't even pronounce that! I stick with Ford because it's one of those easy one syllable words... :wasntme:

Don't tell anyone but I once owned a Mitsubishi with a Chrysler badge on it! :whistle:

Subaru, is pronounced same as Scooby doo said his own name. We call them Skooby for short.

He also thought about turning off the engine but was worried it would lock his steering. It won't if he only moves it back to any of the accessory position.

No key, it only has a button to push in. If you read above etc. we were talking about the need to push the button in and hold for a few seconds.

Seems the steering locks when one with the key-fob is at a certain distance from the car, same with the door lock.

Still looking into the shifter deal. His car was a 2008? I am not sure if the car had a shifter or buttons on the dash etc.

Edited by Wayne S

The thing that surprises me the most is that apparently the brakes aren't powerful enough to at least slow the car down. I don't think I've ever encountered a car that could overpower it's brakes like that. My first car was a 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport with the big honking engine and drum brakes. I could hold the brake pedal down, floor the gas pedal & the car didn't go anywhere. Lots of tire smoke though & nice black lines after I did let go :whistle:

Edited by fallsbob