I really don't get this Toyota problem Update - HE FAKED IT

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100308/...s_runaway_prius

What is it that people do not understand about their vehicles?

I know I have extensive training in what to do in an emergency but what is it that people do not understand about the mechanics of their vehicle? How far did this guy go trying to stop his car, I see he even had time to phone the police on his cell phone. And they had time to find him.

If my Toyota were to go out of control due to a faulty accelerator here is what I would do:

1. Shift to neutral and apply the brake.

2. Turn off engine. Who cares if it redlines while I am braking? Except for maybe Toyota who would be replacing my engine free of charge. I know I wouldn't burn out my brakes opposing a force working against it.

Duh, pretty simple emergency if you ask me.

Edited by Scooby

They are saying it may be in the electronics, and that shutting off the engine may not be possible.

Sounds like problems aircraft have when the fly by wire goes haywire.

Toyota is heading for some rocky shoals right now. Funny didn't one of Clancys books deal with a Japanese American 'unpleasantness' that started with a car company covering up a flaw?

From Wiki on Debt of Honor.....

On Interstate 40 in Eastern Tennessee, a car accident involving a tractor-trailer and two Japanese-made cars results in the deaths of six people (two adults, two teenagers, a toddler, and an infant). The accident involves the failure of both fuel tanks in the Japanese cars, which causes an explosion. It is revealed that the Japanese-made fuel tanks were manufactured below proper safety standards, which caused them to fail. This stirs long-standing resentments stemming from Japan's protectionist trade policies, and trade negotiations with Japan grind to a halt

Edited by Matt Roberts

A family was killed in their Lexus when it accelerated to over 100MPH before coming to the end of the road and crashing. The incident lasted long enough that one of the occupants had time to make a 911 cell call describing the situation. The driver was a 19 year CHP veteran, I'm sure he had extensive training for what to do in emergencies as well.

Totalled Off Yesterday Owing To Acceleration

Pretty sure the Prius like the Lexus that killed the highway patrol man and his family of 4 didn't allow the car to be shifted into neutral at highway speeds.

You couldn't pay me enough to risk my wife and kids in one of those death traps.

cheers

a gentleman in San Diego did call the police yesterday as his Prius went upwards of 90MPH, he was told to put the car in neutral and apply the brake, nothing happened. He also attempted to remove the key but it would not come out as the car was in gear. It took the police cruiser getting in front of him and letting the prius run into the back of his car while he slowed to get it to stop. Scary stuff!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100308/...s_runaway_prius

What is it that people do not understand about their vehicles?

I know I have extensive training in what to do in an emergency but what is it that people do not understand about the mechanics of their vehicle? How far did this guy go trying to stop his car, I see he even had time to phone the police on his cell phone. And they had time to find him.

If my Toyota were to go out of control due to a faulty accelerator here is what I would do:

1. Shift to neutral and apply the brake.

2. Turn off engine. Who cares if it redlines while I am braking? Except for maybe Toyota who would be replacing my engine free of charge. I know I wouldn't burn out my brakes opposing a force working against it.

Duh, pretty simple emergency if you ask me.

If their going to put accelerators in cars that are not mechanically linked, aka controlled by the computer, they should make auto makers install a kill switch to interrupt the electrical power system.

I haven't heard much to indicate that other countries are having similar issues with Toyota's. I wonder if this is turning into a case of media-fueled mass hysteria.

For all of those that are whining, please send me the title to your POS Lexus or Toyota. I will be glad to assume the risks after I transfer ownership.

Regards,

John

I haven't heard much to indicate that other countries are having similar issues with Toyota's. I wonder if this is turning into a case of media-fueled mass hysteria.

For all of those that are whining, please send me the title to your POS Lexus or Toyota. I will be glad to assume the risks after I transfer ownership.

Regards,

John

:thumbsup:

It's only whining until it happens to you or someone you know ...

Gregg

:thumbsup:

It's only whining until it happens to you or someone you know ...

Gregg

Agreed, so why take a chance? Send me those titles :cheers:

I'll pay $0.05 on the dollar, so it's a win-win for both parties. They get to unload a decrepit, rolling death-mobile at a fair price and I get new Toyota's and Lexus's.

All takers - PM me to finalize the details.

John

Edited by 11bee

Regards,

John

I'm sure the families of the 34 people who have lost their lives due to this issue will be comforted to know that their loved ones were victims of "media-fueled mass hysteria" rather than wrong doing on Toyota's part.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/i...how/5534344.cms

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/i...how/5518053.cms

I'm sure the families of the 34 people who have lost their lives due to this issue will be comforted to know that their loved ones were victims of "media-fueled mass hysteria" rather than wrong doing on Toyota's part.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/i...how/5534344.cms

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/i...how/5518053.cms

Again, why are we not hearing of similar numbers of instances in other countries. I'm not saying Toyota's could not have some sort of problem but this would not be the first time that the media fueled the fire over something that in retrospect was a non-issue.

For all we know, GM, Ford or Honda may have more accidents of this nature. I guess I don't put a lot of faith in the objectivity and intelligence of the US media.

No slight was intended to anyone who has lost family in these accidents.

Again, why are we not hearing of similar numbers of instances in other countries. I'm not saying Toyota's could not have some sort of problem but this would not be the first time that the media fueled the fire over something that in retrospect was a non-issue.

For all we know, GM, Ford or Honda may have more accidents of this nature. I guess I don't put a lot of faith in the objectivity and intelligence of the US media.

No slight was intended to anyone who has lost family in these accidents.

1.8 million cars in Europe is not insignificant number. The higher number in NA refelects the fact there are more Toyotas on the road here than in Europe. Domestic cars are more popular there, at least when I lived there.

And regardless of how much faith you have in the media (I have zero as well), Toyota has already admitted they screwed up. I generally just ignore these type of threads but some Toyota owners have adopted a "fanboy" mindset on this and just refused to believe that there is a problem which I just don't get. Toyota would not be recalling 10,000,000+ vehicles due to the media.

sometimes engineers make mistakes they are only human ... remember fords pinto , how many were fried through them ??

are we realy ready to sacrifice a company baring these few faults who make far superior vehicles and have far superior employee benefits than we can manage

i worked for a toyota dealership compared to any other manufacturer their breakdown rate is non existant and build quality is second to none

before working for them i would not have a new japanese car since working for them i wouldn't have anything else but japanese ..... particularly toyota or lexus

if it was a design fault in anything else on the car you would have heard nothing , because it is a serious fault on what is a very low percentage of total production because it is serious it has been blown up out of all proportion

the prius is popular in the uk with no reported problems

which may lead to how they are being used if the systems are getting hot through constant use in hot long straight roads with no break from full throttle may this cause problems not encountered in other countries

and remember the ausie saying ( very true )) " if you want to go into the outback buy a land rover !" ....

" if you want to come out again buy a land cruiser !"

So US media is just out to get Toyota? Heck if there was a slight chance with GM of this happening. I would think the Media would be all over it, what a story that would make.

They are saying it may be in the electronics, and that shutting off the engine may not be possible.

Sounds like problems aircraft have when the fly by wire goes haywire.

When did Airbus start making cars?

for those that conveniently forget the ford pinto

it was a car designed by ford of america it was designed to fit a small budget compact car market !!

even though crash tests proved the fuel tanks burst and a 40mph impact made doors unopenable it was still passed for sale

it went on to burn 200 people to death and they still tried to deny it !!

in the scheme of things yes it is unfortunate for those affected

but at least they admitted there may be something wrong and are trying , wich will do for me !!

So US media is just out to get Toyota? Heck if there was a slight chance with GM of this happening. I would think the Media would be all over it, what a story that would make.

Absolutely, the US media loves to throw the big three under the bus. They're all liberal import divers.... :deadhorse1:

IMHO, I believe Toyota is getting smacked down because their employees are not members of the UAW like the big three. Now that the government practically owns two of them, and the UAW wants to bust through Toyota's doors, this is why the smack down. Now, I'm for American made, and from what I've read, Toyota vehicles here in the states are all American made. The big three have many parts made in other countries or entire cars, so, who truly is more American made?