Rectangle LED windows

I haven't make any kits with fiber optics yet so I am curious, if you check out this video on youtube:

it appears that some of the lighted windows are rectangular in shape. I'm assuming there isn't any rectangle shaped fiber optic strands so I'm wondering if s/he just used 2 fiber strands side by side or maybe a rectangle lense made from plastic or Crystal Clear or something like that.

If one chooses to use 2 or more pieces side by side how should the gaps be filled? Or should they?

Anyone have any ideas on this or lighting kits in general?

Thanx,

-mac

if I had to guess, I'd say the builder probably used either 2 strands side by side, or made new windows with micro krystal klear or something similar and backlit them. I'm planning to use that technique on a build I'm just getting started on, so drop by my youtube channel, the first vid for that build should be up in a day or two

I haven't make any kits with fiber optics yet so I am curious, if you check out this video on youtube:

it appears that some of the lighted windows are rectangular in shape. I'm assuming there isn't any rectangle shaped fiber optic strands so I'm wondering if s/he just used 2 fiber strands side by side or maybe a rectangle lense made from plastic or Crystal Clear or something like that.

If one chooses to use 2 or more pieces side by side how should the gaps be filled? Or should they?

Anyone have any ideas on this or lighting kits in general?

Thanx,

-mac

I've seen rectangular LEDs at work. Would they work?

I've seen rectangular LEDs at work. Would they work?

I've been doing some shopping-planning for the project and so far the best bets I can come up with are:

http://www.unique-leds.com for LED's / resistors etc.

and:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/ for the fiber

I based my opinion strictly on getting the most bang for the buck and selection.

-----

I did see the rectangle LED's at the 1st store. There's only one size so let's hope they fit into the window sills!

I'm an electrician so I know my way around electronics a bit... Using LED's as a window is a bit hinky because they can be pretty bright. You're going to want all your lights to shine somewhat evenly - unless for effect. LED's have a minimum voltage necessary to work (go too low and they don't work) but there is some play in them. I plan on hooking up a temporary trimmer (variable resistor / volume knob) to get just the right brightness of my window / formation light LED's and then measure the resistance (Ω ohms) the trimmer is at with my multimeter and then solder permanent resistors of the value measured into the circuit.

I also found this cool how-to on how to make blinking LED's - great for formation lights:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cj_blink.htm

You can do quite a bit with that. The resistor / capacitor (RC network circuit) makes the LED's blink "softly" i.e. not just ON-OFF-ON but ...ooooOOOOONN-OOOOOOooooffffff..... and by adjusting the resistance (changing the resistor used) and the capacitance you can change the frequency of the blink and the "softness" of the charge and discharge. You'll have to play around with that to get it just right - as I will. Again, here I think the trimmer will come in handy - as will a breadboard. You can also make different sets of lights alternate back and forth - super cool!

If you need to, you can get a multimeter, breadboard, wire strippers, soldering iron, wire, and enough components to keep you busy for around $30. But don't forget old computers, radios, phones, lamps, TV's, etc. for your electronics and wire. Tare 'em apart and get your stuff for free! Great fun!

:)