Hasegawa Raptor instruction UP

I just looked at the painting callouts...what are 'SM03 and SM04' I didn't see them in the Grunze callouts. I'm assuming these are what gives the camo it's 'sheen'

click me

sm is mr.color super metallic

sm01 super fine silver

sm02 super gold

sm03 super iron

sm04 super stainless

i think is good color

Wow...

30 pieces in the cockpit,

40 in the main weapon bay,

17 in each Sidewinder bay,

14 in the nose-gear assembly

Man I like the number of detail parts (as opposed to Academy's.) Apart from the cheese-grater finish, it looks like Hasegawa has a real winner on their hands.

I also like that you can pose the nozzles open or "crosed" .... LOL at Japanese dictation software.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Having the pepto pink weapons bay parts for comparison, Hasegawa nailed the detail. On the plus side for Academy owners, if you hang a sidewinder in the bay, you can't really tell the detail difference...and if you want an AMRAAM extended, Has doesn't get you there.

I agree Murph. But I think that on the list of pros and cons, the cheese grater is one of only a few cons. Admittedly a big one, but I think it's one I can live with. I'm not getting one of these until I see someone work around the texture, but I'm sure I'll get one eventually.

I agree Murph. But I think that on the list of pros and cons, the cheese grater is one of only a few cons. Admittedly a big one, but I think it's one I can live with. I'm not getting one of these until I see someone work around the texture, but I'm sure I'll get one eventually.

You can add to the list:

- the kit is over-engineered (weapon bays and MG, ...)

- the paint chart is clearly off (mix barley and 35622 for the edges clear paint...)

- lack of AIM-9M for todays F-22.

The great thing I see is the PE set.

Mike brought this one to our Club meeting last month, The Cheese grater affect is not as pronounced as it appears in the photo's.

But I don't know how one would cover that pink.......................................

Curt

You can add to the list:

- the kit is over-engineered (weapon bays and MG, ...)

- the paint chart is clearly off (mix barley and 35622 for the edges clear paint...)

- lack of AIM-9M for todays F-22.

The great thing I see is the PE set.

I'm interested to see how the parts fit. If the weapons bays and MG's fit well, and show the detail correctly, then they're not overengineered. If the parts don't fit, and they use 5 parts on something that only takes one or 2, (I'm looking at you, Superhornet nose) then I'll be first in line to complain about it. There's not much you can do about the paint chart, apart from research, anyway. If I bought the pink version, the paint chart would be off too. Okay. The lack of AIM-9M's is an issue, but it's a Hasegawa kit. I didn't expect much in the way of weaponry anyway.

I'm going to defend this kit. The shape is more correct than Academy's, the detail parts look better (particularly the doors,) and the price is definitely comparable. The surface texture bothers me, and I'll have to fix it someday, but this kit has a lot going for it.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

So what is the difference between Mr Color Super Metalic and Mr Metal Color? My buddy is going to put in a paint order from Lucky Model and asked me if I wanted anything. I was looking at getting some Mr Color paints and I see they carry Mr Metal Color (ie: Mr Metal Color 212 Iron). Is this the same paint?

Apart from the cheese-grater finish, it looks like Hasegawa has a real winner on their hands.
Was really happy to see that. I have the Academy kit on the shelf and was thinking that maybe I jumped the gun on it.

To say it is pervasive is an understatement. The vertical stabs have raised lines. The weapons bay door even have a raised strip around the edge. For a smooth skinned AV it really is insane the amount of sanding that will be required for accuracy.

Well, HLJ says my Raptor shipped today. So in about a week I'll get a chance to see how it really stacks up in person. And the initial release apparently has photoetch in it for the exhausts, so that is a plus.

Dang, I was still tempted to get the pink one so I could do a model of the jet that Waco REALLY wants to fly. :wave:

It's nice to see Hasegawa release a new jet kit in 1/48 but why a jet that is no longer going to be in service? It would be nice to see something new or redue the F-15E and do a F-15I like Academy did.

It's nice to see Hasegawa release a new jet kit in 1/48 but why a jet that is no longer going to be in service? It would be nice to see something new or redue the F-15E and do a F-15I like Academy did.

The F-22 not going to be in service? When did that happen? Better not tell Waco.