Aloha from Hawaii,

Just getting started on a heavily loaded Lightning.

Doing the Academy kit. I've come to really like the Academy kits in terms of quality and price. Only complaint is the decals - brittle and just a touch too transparent, but for the money saved you can always pick up for aftermarket decals.

Speaking of aftermarket decals, I'll be using the leftovers a previous P-38 build from a couple years ago.

Here's the previous build btw:

IMG_7652.jpg

I'll be building "St. Louis Blues" based out of the Philippines in 1944. I don't know if this plane ever carried the loadout that I'm planning (bombs and rockets) but going for it anyway.

IMG_0002-4.jpg

BMF with Alclad is the plan, with panels set off in slightly different shades.

Cockpit pieces ready for preshade and chromate green

IMG_0004-3.jpg

Painting begun

IMG_0005-2.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

Here's some new WIP pictures.

I painted, futured and weathered the landing gear bays before installing them in the nacelles.

IMG_0004-5.jpg

IMG_0003-7.jpg

To make sure that I don't have a tail sitter I stuffed four nickels in each of the nacelles and secured it with poster putty. Adds quite a bit of weight - feels good a hefty now.

IMG_0006-3.jpg

IMG_0008-2.jpg

Few more seam lines to sand away and some rescribing, then I can start in with the Alclad.

IMG_0007-3.jpg

Major assembly is done

IMG_0001-7.jpg

Not super happy with the fit of gun compartment hatches

IMG_0002-6.jpg

Still need some rescribing on some panels

IMG_0004-6.jpg

Academy made a couple weird engineering choices on the model that makes fit/panel finishing kinda tricky. I think I prefer Hasegawa's.

Edited by nickdanger

Filled and sanded, masked and futured to prep for Alclad

IMG_0002-7.jpg

In the paint booth

IMG_0003-10.jpg

First coat

IMG_0004-8.jpg

Duraluminum is the basecoat

IMG_0007-6.jpg

I'll be doing different panels with various shades of Alclad. In this picture only the right aileron has been differentiated with semi-matte aluminum

IMG_0011-2.jpg

Alclad is done.

IMG_0002-8.jpg

The masking took a while, but I like the results.

IMG_0006-6.jpg

There are actually three different shades but two are pretty similar and they are hard to tell apart.

IMG_0005-5.jpg

Next step, prep the fiddly bits

IMG_0009-2.jpg

Edited by nickdanger
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh the fiddly bits. I did a quick count.

Cockpit + nacelles + wings + landing gear bays = ~35 parts

Everything else (propellers, spinners, landing gear, gear bay doors, tires, guns, rockets, rocket rails, bombs, pitot tube, elevator mass balancers, antennae, etc.) = ~60 parts. And all requiring paint and prep. It's like two more models!

BEFORE:

IMG_0001-10.jpg

And yes, that is a LEGO Darth Vader head off the starboard wing.

AFTER:

IMG_0018-1.jpg

I threw in half of a drop tank to make it easier to see the Alclad painted parts.

Closeup of the rockets:

IMG_0019-4.jpg

Not a tail sitter! Whew. First test to make sure that I stuffed enough weight inside.

IMG_0001-11.jpg

Started in with the decals

IMG_0018-2.jpg

Painted on the anti-glare panels

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_0019-5.jpg

Painted on the squadron markings as well

IMG_0003-12.jpg

Few more decals to go.

So, I wasn't planning on doing the full complement of stencils but...

Since I was raiding a half used after market decal set, all of the stencils were gone, plus the Academy kit doesn't really have a full set of stencils - Sure it come with the fuel tank red circles and a few more, but not down to the "Oil Cooler Drain", "Jack Here", and "Fillet Jt." details.

And since I was in budget mode, no more after market goodies for this build.

Then I remembered some left overs form the more than 4 decade old Monogram kit that I've built a couple times. Even though the kit is old, it's fantastic with one of the most ridiculously detailed in-box decal sets I've ever seen:

IMG_0004-9.jpg

I built a couple for my son (6 years old), and since he wants cool looking rather than correctly marked, I had plenty of leftovers:

IMG_8796.jpg

So the current build is a combo of three different decal sets. There are still a few more to go, but I'm getting close. Rough count is about 50 decals in all.

IMG_0006-7.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0010-2.jpg

The checkerboards come in three parts and require some patience:

IMG_0005-6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Decalling is all done (finally) and saved the best for last:

IMG_0001-12.jpg

The Sharkmouths were, not surprisingly the trickiest of the decals in terms of placement. The solvent still is doing it's magic in this picture.

IMG_0002-9.jpg

You have to paint the front of the intakes red since the decals don't cover that section. I can't seem to get the exact right shade, but it's pretty close.

IMG_0039-1.jpg

I think with a layer or three of Future, it'll look ok. On to weathering and final assembly.

IMG_0031-2.jpg

IMG_0030-2.jpg

Thanks Robert.

Landing gear are on now

IMG_0043.jpg

And I flattened everything with Vallejo varnish

IMG_0045.jpg

I've done about as much weathering as I think is appropriate. I think flattening the whole plane was weathering in itself - the pictures I've seen of the South Pacific Lightnings look to me like the aluminum wasn't that shiny gloss that you see in BMF P-38's preserved today. That tropical sun took it's toll.

IMG_0001-13.jpg

Some fuel stains on the caps, and of course the turbosuperchargers

IMG_0002-10.jpg

Maybe add some dirt to the tires. Now just to add the ordnance, landing gear bay doors and other fiddly bits, canopy and rigging...