Julien,

Great photos..may I ask you. is this one of the same Spitfires that JAMES MAY went up in and the lovely lady sat on the wing, isn't she a Pilot that took MAY to the skies.

she looks so familiar.

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES
Spitfire OU V belongs to Carolyn Grace who was the pilot who took James May for a flight. The aircraft was restored and converted to a low profile two seat aircraft by her late husband, Nick Grace.

Ah I thought it was the same lady.. Thank you for reminding ME of her name... Thought that was HER Spitfire....

HOLMES :thumbsup:

James May is a lucky man

Flight in a Spitfire and a U-2!!!!

Holmes,

if you go to the link above, you get the Grace spitfire site and you can buy some memorabilia if you are interested.

I have my eyes on a few pieces.

If I ever managed a ride in the Spitfire, I would be smiling too much to care about upset stomach I get on a plane.

Spitfire OU V belongs to Carolyn Grace who was the pilot who took James May for a flight. The aircraft was restored and converted to a low profile two seat aircraft by her late husband, Nick Grace.

Sorry to be picky, but....:salute:

It was converted to twin seat TR.9 configuration for the Irish Air Corps postwar rather than by Nick Grace. In its as-built single seat Mk.IX configuration it served with 485 (NZ) Squadron during World War Two in the markings it now wears, and flew in support of the D-Day landings, being credited with the first allied air to air victory on D-Day in the process.

There is another TR.9 operating in New Zealand currently (well sort of, it has had a couple of unfortunate landing accidents keeping it out of the air while repairs are undertaken).

Details here:

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board...0316&page=1

Sorry to be picky, but....:thumbsup:...........

If you'd read my post carefully, you would have seen that I said Nick Grace converted the aircraft to a 'LOW PROFILE' two seat aircraft. All the Irish air force aircraft had the tall bubble canopy to the second cockpit. This low canopy version is known as the Grace conversion.

If you'd read my post carefully, you would have seen that I said Nick Grace converted the aircraft to a 'LOW PROFILE' two seat aircraft. All the Irish air force aircraft had the tall bubble canopy to the second cockpit. This low canopy version is known as the Grace conversion.

Fair enough, you learn something new every day! :worship: I thought you were referring to the conversion to two seats, rather than a modification of that configuration. Now that I think about it I do faintly recall hearing the 'Grace Conversion' term in the dim distant past (i.e. as a pre-teen poring over copies of 'Flypast' in the 1980's), but must have forgotten about it. Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Edited by Mumbles

So, presumably, the 'Grace Conversion', although better looking than the original high-canopy two-seater, is less useful as a Spitfire trainer???

The original high rear canopy must have given a better view forward for the instructor ???

Can anyone comment on the different outlooks from either rear cockpit - was the rear seat higher in the original ?

I imagine that the Grace Spitfire is emminently suitable for giving backseat PR rides to selected luminaries (e.g. James May) rather than as a 'proper' conversion trainer.

Although there must still be a requirement to train budding Spitfire pilots/rich owners - so the Grace type rear seat must be adequate for the task.

Ken

PS - As well as the Grace Spitfire and U2 rides, James May also flew backseat in an RAF Typhoon (the Euofighter one that is) - lucky b*****d

:),Hi Ken,

The Russian converted Spitfire (at least one MkIX is known to have been converted to a 2 seater in Russia during the GPW) was used as a trainer and it was much like the Grace Conversion with the low bubble canopy over the rear cockpit. It was also known to have been used as a fast communications aircraft at times. I'll try and find a photo of it and post a link to it here.

:doh:,

Ross.

.........I imagine that the Grace Spitfire is emminently suitable for giving backseat PR rides to selected luminaries (e.g. James May) rather than as a 'proper' conversion trainer.

Although there must still be a requirement to train budding Spitfire pilots/rich owners - so the Grace type rear seat must be adequate for the task.

Ken

I would have thought that an experienced Spitfire Pilot could handle the flight from the rear seat while the student sat in the front. Forward view past the engine is poor at best from a normal cockpit, so a limited forward view from the rear cockpit shouldn't stop training for experienced pilots, giving the student a standard view.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...