Awesome HUMVEE Walkaround

Check out Cyber-Hobbies walkaround of a combat loaded M1151.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/armor/humvee/m1151_walk.shtml

Outstanding detail shots (I cannot believe how full of equipment this thing is).

Some observations - it comes equipped with a cam-corder "dash cam" , home style electric fan for the driver and the turret gunner is armed with the following:

M2 .50 cal

M240 MG

M4 Carbine

12 ga sawed off shotgun

Just in case that isn't enough fire power, he has a LAW (I believe) strapped to the side.

It has a satcom antenna mounted on the side. I'm actually wondering if this is a SF vehicle, I didn't think that the regular ones had this.

This poor HUMVEE looks like it is just groaning from all the weight.

I'm starting to get the bug to build one of these bad boys.

Regards,

John

Wow. Definitely fully loaded. Yeah the subject HUMVEE has a LAW on the side, while one of the ones in the background has an AT-4. Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Austin

And I know how you feel about building one as I want to as well...

I thought LAW's went out of service a while ago, replaced by AT-4s. Always liked the LAW. It was lighter than the AT-4 but still packed a good punch. One of my good memories from back in the day was having my squad assigned to "dispose" of a large quantity of LAWs that either were getting close to their expiration date or the Army just decided that they needed to go to make space in the weapons storage area for something else. We sat on that range for two hours and each guy must have fired 30 of them. Considering that the average grunt back then might fire a live LAW every year or two, we had a blast (literally). Found some really creative things to do with them as well.

Regards,

John

PS - on another forum that I posted this, someone with sharp eyes noted that in addition to all the other weapons on this beast, there is an AK stuffed next to the right rear seat. This is one bad-a**ed ride!

Edited by 11bee
Wow! That thing is loaded! You think the guy in the cupola has enough firepower?? haha

In photo 19, is that red tank + nozzle above it some sort of built in fire surpression system?

Tom

I can't access the pictures here at work but I know that HUMVEEs have been retrofitted with an automatic fire supression system, similar to what is used in tanks and APC's. The intent was to minimze post-IED fires.

I'm guessing that this is what you are looking at.

Regards,

John

Found some really creative things to do with them as well.

I'm a little curious as to what "creative" things you did with a rocket launcher.

Anyhow, I can't wait until you can get one of these up-armored HMMWV's in plastic, without spending a hundred bucks + on a resin set.

Yeah, wow. Look at how close the wheels are to touching the body of the vehicle, and that's without the crew inside. I have heard the stories about how often they are having to replace suspension components in them, this is a pretty graphic depiction of why.

Hope the guys that ride inside stay safe!

I'm a little curious as to what "creative" things you did with a rocket launcher.

Anyhow, I can't wait until you can get one of these up-armored HMMWV's in plastic, without spending a hundred bucks + on a resin set.

Just visualize a bunch of 19-year old grunts with minimal "adult" supervision and a large quantity of anti-tank rockets that needed to be disposed of. Many neat things you can do with them. For example, did you know that you can skip them down range, kinda like a flat rock on a pond? Takes a bit of practice but it can be done. One guy managed to ricochet one skywards.

You can also prep a bunch of them and then rapid fire 5-6 within 20-30 seconds. You can also ARC them waaay down range.

Lots of fun that day. It was the first and last time that we ever saw that much ordinance that needed to be used up. Just so you know, there is typically much more oversight on things like this but for some strange reason, the Army pretty much left us on our own that day. I think my squad fired more LAW's in an hour than a brigade would get in a year!

BTW- I agree with getting a modern version humvee in plastic. I don't understand why no one has released one yet. Maybe they figure that it wouldn't be popular outside of the US.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee