Do you build aircraft to look pretty or real??

I used to build fresh out of the paint shop and felt very happy with the finished kit. Having, last year, come back to the hobby after 20 odd years away I wanted to try different things and weathering was one of them. I always try to get a real look to the kit but stop short of total 'dirty' style weathering because it can look as artificial as none at all. I guess it all comes down to enjoying what you've built regardless of other modellers views and always striving to improve on the last kit built. As long as the finished article is pleasing to you, surely that's the end goal.

One final thought though - they're all pretty to me or else I wouldn't build them :worship:

Oh and don't take any post build photos because they spoil even the best weathered aircraft, do with mine anyway.

Personally, I try to build as much as possible "real", but at the same time trying to make the overall effect balanced.

I think that in this way, the model assumes a life of its own, this is probably an idea that has remained in my head when I painted figures.

Of course there are clean models that are true masterpieces although do not fall under my point of view.

I am attaching some pictures of my figure models

Gianni

Gianni, beautiful Figure work! :blink: .......the one on the horse is outstanding!

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler

I, uh, build them. If they turn out lookin' real, then WIN! Usually, though, my ham-fisted attempts at weathering make them look bad. So, most of mine end up looking like they just came from the factory floor. Too afraid to mess up a nice paint job.

:deadhorse1:

Mike

I prefer a lived-in look, Sir.

But it does depend on the subject. If you are building a specific machine you know spent two years working in the desert at the end of skimpy supply line, that is one thing; if you are building a specific machine you know was delivered to the squadron on Wednesday, went up for its first combat flight Friday morning, and was down behind enemy lines an hour later, that is something else again. The first should look rather beat-up and tired, the second should look fresh as a daisy. When doing peace-time subjects, especially ones on home establishment, my inclination is to resolve doubts towards the 'clean' side, as ground crew will be kept busy, inspections will have teeth in terms of privileges or lack thereof, and there is likely to be a minimum of flying hours.

Edited by Old Man

Even modern well looked after restorations get dirty! Look at the exhaust staining on the BBMF Lancaster and the mud on the wheels of the Shuttleworth Gladiator ( probably two of the best looked after aircraft on the UK display circuit ). I think the key to weathering is being subtle, and studying LOTS of photos of the real thing to see where the dirt actually goes, not just slapping dirt everywhere.

lancaster14.jpg

gladiator12.jpg