B-52D Stratofortress, Big, bad and beautiful

Here's my contribution to this group build!

b-52_stratofortress_box_640x480.jpg

b-52_contents_640x480.jpg

It was bought slightly started, and I have also started this build earlier on another board!

Here's a small recap!

The cockpit and pilots was already painted, but I repainted them and also painted the rear gunner!

b-52_pilots_pre_paint_640x480.jpg

b-52_pilots_repainted_640x480.jpg

b-52_pilots_finished_640x480.jpg

Some sub assemblies done!

b-52_sub_assemblies_640x480.jpg

The spoilers got working hinges!

b-52_spoiler_inside_640x480.jpg

The decal for the instrument panel was lost, so I made a freehand artistic interpretation! :wub:

b-52_instrument_panel_640x480.jpg

As the main gear was already mounted, I had to paint them in place!

b-52_main_gear_2_640x480.jpg

I also had some bomb teraphy! :(

b-52_bombs_1_640x480.jpg

Well, That's about it all for now!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

The rear gunner is seated! :thumbsup:

b-52_rear_gunner_640x480.jpg

and the fuselage is glued!

b-52_fuse_glued_640x480.jpg

Went rather nice and smoothly I think. Not even the moveable gun tower caused any problems!

I'm starting to wonder where to put this beast while I glue the wings, as they need support during the drying time!

Handling this beast won't be easy once the wings are glued! :cheers:

:thumbsup:

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Ryan! :thumbsup:

I've started sanding slightly on the seam, and will put some filler where needed soon!

I thought it was easiest to try and get the seam on the fuse right, before I put on the wings and fins!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Looking Good HÃ¥kan ;)

And it brings back some fond memories of a Christmas Eve very long ago.

I think I was twelve or thirteen when I got that monster for Christmas.

Nice to see it again.

:woot.gif:

/Bosse

If I may, I would strongly reccomend you build the wings and the fuselage separate, and at the very last step, put the three together. This would be in order to make sure the outrigger wheels sit on the ground properly. Paul Boyer did the same thing when he built his H model, and I'm planning on the same thing with my 1/72 NB-52B project.

Paul

I'm still working with this one, although I haven't much to show for yet, as most of the work have been filling and sanding. I've also sanded down the panel lines a bit.

Some of the minor issues can be illustraded by this pic.

b-52_wing_problem_640x480.jpg

The loop is for hanging the plane in the ceiling, but as I intend to hang it on the wall, I think the best solution would be to get rid of it.

The hole in the edge is for a lamp I guess, but no glass is provided, so I think I'll try to find some suitable excess clear plastic to use.

:thumbsup:

HÃ¥kan

I think that opening in the leading edge is an air intake...have to find some pictures to be sure. I've got plenty of reference on the G/H, not sure if I have anything on the D to answer that question.

Looking good!

Jonah

• 2 weeks later...

The wings are glued!

b-52_wings_glued_2_640x480.jpg

As are the stabs and fin.

b-52_rear_fins_glued_640x480.jpg

The wings went on rather well, and I only needed a small strip of plastic on one side.

b-52_wings_shimmed_and_sanded_640x480.jpg

As can be seen, the loops have been removed and filled.

Next to do is the engines and weapon hardpoints.

:deadhorse1:

HÃ¥kan

The B-52 was probably built by a lot of us as kids here in the States. I know I built up a couple as a kid, there was nothing badder than my Mach 3 Capable Astronaut wings certified mega super ton bomber capable of fighting off the entire enemy defensive and offensive weaponry.

Can you tell I played with mine a lot??

I think I have built it 4 times total, last one in 2000, built for a girlfriends son.

Yours looks great so far, keep it rolling

HÃ¥kan, she's looking great! Wow, you and Ryan are fast. Just 3 or 4 litres of paint and you will be almost finished! I applaud you guys who are willing to take on these monsters! :thumbsup:

I too had the Monogram D kit as a kid. The original boxing with the natural metal over white SAC nuclear deterrent scheme, and the electric motor to make the turbine sound, as I recall. It took a LOT of Testors Cement for Plastic Models in the tube. We lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma during the Vietnam war, not very far from the airport. The beautiful silver and white SAC B-52s would coast in to TUL, and roar out in SEA camo scheme with black undersides. They were so loud during takeoff that the dishes in the kitchen would rattle. I have been warped ever since :pray:

Later I learned that the McDonnell-Douglas plant at TUL was converting the D's to modify the bombays, add the external pylons, and enable the carriage of massive quantities of iron bombs, as used in ARC Light and other SEA campaigns.

Mike

Thanks guys! :)

Some more work with the filler, and it'll be time to put on some primer, that I suspect will reveal all mistakes I've made! :worship:

Then I'm stuck until I get the colors I need!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

• 3 weeks later...