What was your review of "The Pacific"?

Mine review of the first episode: Well just finished watching "The Pacific". Very Acurate in the way it dipicted the war so far. Shows that the Horrors of wars are terrifing. I will be looking forward to watching the next episode :worship:

Frank

Being the first one, they had to set the scene and do some character development. The training episodes in Band of Brothers was very effective in making the viewer invest emotionally in the characters and what will happen to them. I thought the opening episode was weak in this area. Perhaps they have something else in mind to accomplish this in The Pacific series.

One of the best things about CGI is how it allows the production of good war films again. Nothing worse than knowing enough about planes, ships and armor that when you see something on screen that obviously doesn't belong it blows the movie for you. I thought the ships and planes looked pretty good, especially the Japanese destroyers cruising up the coast. The night fight at Alligator creek was great. I hope they lay the scene out historically for the perimeter defense of the beachhead/airfield as it really was a close thing.

I'll be watching. Nice having something original on to look forward too. Seems like the 2 History channels and the Military channel only show endless repeats these days. I wrote an email to the Military Channel once commenting on how sad it was that they had the ingredients to make some fascinating shows on military vehicles, ships and aircraft, but they wouldn't go into enough hard details. For instance, I told them that viewers would love to just have a whole show on one aircraft like the F-86. Just a show following along with a mechanic as he performed a 100 hr inspection or engine change and having him explain the different systems and concerns with the aircraft. You could combine that with a pilot describing (in depth) what it's like to fly one, etc. All I got back was a form letter, thanking me for my interest, blah, blah.

Underwhelmed...

Followed the development of this series for many years, perusing several fansites from time to time that had tidbits and photos - very eager to see it unfold. This one was just plain hard to follow for me (character identification wise) and the battle at Alligator Creek (Tenaru River actually) lacked any sense of the Marines positions being tenuous, although the resulting sandbar reveal in daylight was well done. I understand the whole concept of 'artistic license' but factually the Ichiki Detachment was dropped off at night, and the scene with the IJN ships passing by Lunga Point was absurd. The nighttime blue-on-blue scene with the corpsman could have been portrayed much more effectively if they'd worked up the medic character more or even made a vague allusion to 'what's out there in the dark'. Perhaps Edsons Ridge next week will grab me more...initial rating 6/10 (very nice CG of Savo Island battle raised it a point for me).

Edited by metroman

I liked it but there were a couple points I noticed:

SBDs being used in a pre-invasion bombardment wouldn't go in at low level.

Chin straps. Marines wear chin straps. This ain't Hollywood or the Army and John Wayne's not gonna show up. You don't go into combat with one hand on your head holding your cover on.

Other than that it was OK. I gather from the ending previews that character development proceeds with the series instead of in the first episode. And the bit with the IJA soldier trapped on the riverbank was just the right amount of disturbing in a program about the war in the Pacific.

Ken

Being the first one, they had to set the scene and do some character development. The training episodes in Band of Brothers was very effective in making the viewer invest emotionally in the characters and what will happen to them. I thought the opening episode was weak in this area.

I agree - the opening of BoB was extremely well done. It helped that it was a double episode debut (something I thought they would repeat). I was surprised by the documentary beginning to the series - I suspect it was added in after test audiences had no idea what the Pacific war was all about.

I will give it another try next week - I am sure they will pick it up.

At first blush, nowhere near as engrossing as Band of Brothers. First episode not long enough to fully develop the characters, I had difficulty remembering who was who. Also, my wife didn't fully understand why the Marines were left alone with little ammo and food, a little scene or two showing why RAdm. Turner made the tactical decision to leave would have helped tremendously. I think they should have had a two hour episode, that covered these guys enlisting and going to boot camp ala BoB.

Pluses were the CGI, which was great. Especially the Savo Island night scene and the Japanese destroyers the next day. The night battle scenes while short were indicative of the confusion and uncertainty of night combat. Striking were the shots the next day of the Tenaru and all the bodies.

3 of 5 stars, hopefully the details will improve to help make it easier for casual watchers without a strong background in WWII history able to better understand the situations.

As others have said, underwhelmed and a bit disjointed. They started right after PH and then jumped right to Guadalcanal.

The narrative by Hanks at the beginning wasn't really needed. With BoB you became more involved with the characters right away and had a chance to learn who they were. You really had to concentrate on who was who.

Production was first rate and you can tell it was very well done. Same sort of washed out color as BoB.

I will watch all the episodes ad from the previews it looks like things will get better but this one didn't seem to launch out of the gate like I was expecting it to.

Jeff

One of the problems I understood about the characters in Pacific vs BoB is that the producers could not find a single Marine who served all the way thru the war on the front line, the roughly 3 years from Guadalcanal to Iwo. That is where BoB worked - they had the benefit of a single unit that stayed together from training all the way to the end of the war, but they were in action for under a year total, not three. The attrition makes the story of the Marines in the Pacific much more like Vietnam where entire units never really rotated in and out of the theater, just personell rotated in and out.

At first blush, nowhere near as engrossing as Band of Brothers. First episode not long enough to fully develop the characters, I had difficulty remembering who was who. Also, my wife didn't fully understand why the Marines were left alone with little ammo and food, a little scene or two showing why RAdm. Turner made the tactical decision to leave would have helped tremendously. I think they should have had a two hour episode, that covered these guys enlisting and going to boot camp ala BoB.

I agree, if someone was read up on the history it was ok but I had to play narrator to the wife about the scenes. No mention that I recall about who was giving the speech to the NCO's till later you find out it was Chesty. Granted at the time he wasn't the Marine icon of today but still. The missing of boot camp is iconic of almost every Marine film. They had the lead in with Lackie going on the bus. Granted they show Basilone later, but so far that looks like grunt training and not boot camp.

And the bit with the IJA soldier trapped on the riverbank was just the right amount of disturbing in a program about the war in the Pacific.

I don't disagree but there should have been more dialog about the two Marines found tied to the trees. I don't think they are truly conveying to the average viewer how brutal we were to each other in the Pacific campaigns.

Good points by all

The average viewer has zero clue other than we fought a war, against some bad guys.

The brutality of the Pacific campaign on both sides was truly horrific. The hatred of both sides towards the other guy was extreme beyond belief.

Like Band of Brothers, this series is sorely needed. It is appalling how kids in the United States have no clue about our past history, and the events that shaped our nation.

I have a friend in Portugal, he knows more history about the United States, than most kids get about the entire world and the US combined. And he told me his was normal education.

Educate or suffer the consequences.

I agree with the lack of lead-in info on several scenes. As Tank has said either Boot camp or Mud marine training in the first episode would have been more appropriate to set the stage for the rest of the series.The PTO was a particularly bloody and vicious battle and a little history before an actual battle wound have been nice. However it's the first episode and I'll reserve judgement until the end.

Semper Fi

Dan

I guess that after Band of Brothers, expectations were high. I did like this first episode, but like all others... it fell short of expectations. Let's see what happens next week.

Ricardo

One of the problems I understood about the characters in Pacific vs BoB is that the producers could not find a single Marine who served all the way thru the war on the front line, the roughly 3 years from Guadalcanal to Iwo. That is where BoB worked - they had the benefit of a single unit that stayed together from training all the way to the end of the war, but they were in action for under a year total, not three. The attrition makes the story of the Marines in the Pacific much more like Vietnam where entire units never really rotated in and out of the theater, just personell rotated in and out.

I read that this series is based on three books from three different marines that served in the Pacific. Although we were able to watch BoB from boot camp through to the end of the war, that was one unit's story. This is a broader look and perspective based on three individuals memoirs.

I like the look and feel of the story so far, the effects are great and watching it a second time last night I got more of a feel for the "primary" characters so far.

I will probably give it a 4 out of 5.

Just my opinion.

Tricose

So far i liked it, but as said before, there really was no time to identify with the characters. one minute they are having dinner at home, next they are at Guadalcanal already.

I did like the confusion of war, like when they Marines are observing a night time naval battle and assume the Navy is sinking the Imperial Navy; but next morning they come to realize it was the US Navy that got sunk the night before.

Shark

Haven't watched it yet, but i did "TIVO" it to watch later this week.

For all those saying they where "underwhelmed" almost every review I've read from critics who have watched the entire episode run, a number of them stated the first two episodes where a little on the slow side, and that it picks up from there....

Well its not Band of Brothers but I thought it was a decent first episode.Of course some training scenes would have developed the story a bit more but since the producers chose to do one hour episodes there is only so much you can fit in to that hour.

Looks like I will be watching the rest of the episodes.

Mark

but next morning they come to realize it was the US Navy that got sunk the night before.

Let us not forget that our Aussie brothers were fighting and dying there off Savo Island as well. The Aussies lost 84 sailors when the HMAS Canberra was badly damaged during the night battle. She survived despite her damage, but orders were given the next day to abandon ship and she was finished off by Allied ships. The cruisers Australia and Hobart also took part in this battle as well.

Now I can't give my opinion on the first episode, but I can say try not to compare with BoB. As mentioned, that was about one unit that fought over a shorter period of time, in a different environment. This series takes place over a greater time frame, and combines 3 "memoirs" as opposed to one. I find it would be hard to develop characters, but just see how it goes...

The average viewer has zero clue other than we fought a war, against some bad guys.

I'd say that's an above average viewer in the US. I've met people (educated people, allegedly) who hadn't the vaguest idea what "D-Day" was, nor that WWII ended in the Pacific (she thought we dropped the a-bomb on the Germans). Hard to believe, but absolutely true. And a college graduate.

J

I would have liked them to develop the characters a bit more too. I have also studied the Pacific campaign in my Royal Military College schooling but they left a lot of details out for the average viewer. And some of you may find this funny, I thought the hair was a bit too bushy or long on a few of the characters for being Marines.

I was surprised the first episode was not a 2 hour pilot.

Not that impressed.

BUT, very worried that kids and others will take this as "true history" and will not make any effort to dig into the true history and the historical context of the participants on both sides.

SO, this was not that entertaining to me; more worrisome as THERE IS NO WAY any mini-series can depict what happened in the Pacific.

REMEMBER--there are too many people who think that HORRID Pearl Harbor movie actual depicts what transpired.

AND don't forget Hank's "racist war" comments. That proves he is an illiterant about the war in the Pacific.