My Gallery Article ...

I just submitted a new gallery article so it made me think about my last ARC Gallery Article about my CF-188A build a few months back. Here is the article...

http://www.arcair.com/Gal10/9601-9700/gal9...-Benner/00.shtm

So, not going to say who, but I got the following in an email about my build:

"Nice prelude, but I was expecting to see more details from your CF-188. Perhaps the avionics bay, the M61 gun or the F404 engine."

That made me think ... W T F? and I started laughing ... I build my models to how I want them to look. I'm not skilled enough to do as much detail as others but I'm still quite happy with my build. I didn't bother replying either. I think that was a bit over the top for any sort of criticism.

Edited by Benner

I think its a very fine Hornet, nowt wrong with that bird, (well it's not on my shelf :shoot: ) anything built or even started goes beyond my expectations...cuz I ain't even touchin the glue bottle at the present.

thanks for the compliments guys, the point I'm trying to say if you're going to say some criticism make sure it's constructive. That that email said is beyond constructive criticism.

As for showing the F404 engine, my plane's engine isn't due for an overhaul yet :shoot:

nevermind. I think considering the quality of your models, that you have the required skills to show the avionics bays and stuff, but as you said, the most important thing is that you like the plane the way you modelled it. For example, some aircraft look best with everything closed - F-104 comes to my mind - and I would never build one with radome removed and all other panels opened - it just ruins the good looks of the plane... but as I said, it's a personal taste and your CF-188 looks fantastic to me! :thumbsup:

I have had weird PMs over the years too after models have been put on the main page. Some real nice of course, saying they liked what I did. Others asking for weird details like you mention. One guy wanting to know the exact history of a plane, from TOS to SOS dates. :thumbsup:

Another wondering why I did not open the engine access on a 1/72 Hornet. Another wanting to take my photos and "modify" them for "his needs", what ever THAT meant?

Two weeks ago I got a PM about a model I built and posted around 5 or 6 years ago. I could not answer his questions regarding paint choices as I built it SO long ago.

Two weeks ago I got a PM about a model I built and posted around 5 or 6 years ago. I could not answer his questions regarding paint choices as I built it SO long ago.

With your high volume of output, how can you not remember? :thumbsup:

Take care,

Austin

"Nice prelude, but I was expecting ...

"This miserable mode

Maintain the melancholy souls of those

Who lived withouten infamy or praise"

…

No fame of them the world permits to be;

Misericord and Justice both disdain them.

Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass."

Dante: The Comedy

Longfellow Translation

Regards

Euge

Wasn't he simply asking for more photographs of the build?

it doesn't sound like it being you can only see the gun and engine bays f you cut open those panels and scratch build the parts inside. I know I definitely have no intention to scratch build a M61 and jet engine.

I have had weird PMs over the years too after models have been put on the main page. Some real nice of course, saying they liked what I did. Others asking for weird details like you mention. One guy wanting to know the exact history of a plane, from TOS to SOS dates. :rolleyes:

Another wondering why I did not open the engine access on a 1/72 Hornet. Another wanting to take my photos and "modify" them for "his needs", what ever THAT meant?

Shawn-

The only work your models need is from a Swiffer. :taunt:

issnt having a loaded bird with panels open not realistic? <_<

:D, Not altogether Ray,

Another Eleco and I had to do a quick job on a Mirage whilst away on deployment to Western Australia once. When the pilot started up the alternator wouldn't come on line so we had to remove the AC supply panel and give the contactor a knock with a screwdriver handle after he had started up again. We then had to replace the hundred odd screws that held the panel in place with the engine running. This panel is right behind the auxiliary intake door in the starboard intake shroud,(that little door in the sides of the intakes) you see open when Mirages are running on the ground. So you can see it does happen that birds can appear fully armed with panels open, but not very often. Also there'd probably be a couple of techos with their hands inside whatever panel was open working feverishly to get the bird serviceable in the shortest possible time.

By the way Benner,

I think your Hornet looks very realistic and is a credit to you. To the person who emailed you I say it was St Pat's Day yesterday, not the 1st of April. You have two weeks to go till then, and I don't think Benner is the April Fool.

:worship:,

Ross.

Edited for typos.

Edited by ross blackford
So, not going to say who, but I got the following in an email about my build:

"Nice prelude, but I was expecting to see more details from your CF-188. Perhaps the avionics bay, the M61 gun or the F404 engine."

That made me think ... W T F? and I started laughing ... I build my models to how I want them to look. I'm not skilled enough to do as much detail as others but I'm still quite happy with my build. I didn't bother replying either. I think that was a bit over the top for any sort of criticism.

Original post deleted.

Er...on second thoughts I`d just like to thank the vast majority of guys who complimented my Sentry build.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Ian Buick

Your sentry build ROCKS!!!

Difficult kit, and you did a fine job on it

I think many people forget that modelers from all walks of life, all experience levels and all creativity levels post here.

I don't ever post negitive on a persons builds for several reasons

1: The person obviously is proud of their work, or they would not be showing it

2: We are a fellowship of modelers, who have the desire to help each other in our builds

3: No one here started off with the ability to build an Airfix AWACS as good as you did, and even if they are further along in the experience level, they should have some respect.

4: You built the model the way YOU wanted to, unless the person was paying you for the build, they can stuff it!

Now if you had asked for an honest critique of your kit, I could have provided one...

Your crew never got to have the final say in the build. All through the build up, the little guys in blue busted their tails sanding, puttying, lining up and generally doing all the work at night when you were asleep.

And all they got in the end was to be pictured with the build!

Hey little 1/72 workers have feelings too ya know!!!

:thumbsup:

Seriously though, I will be using your build up when I do mine, you had so many good points.

Ric

Your sentry build ROCKS!!!

Difficult kit, and you did a fine job on it

I think many people forget that modelers from all walks of life, all experience levels and all creativity levels post here.

I don't ever post negitive on a persons builds for several reasons

1: The person obviously is proud of their work, or they would not be showing it

2: We are a fellowship of modelers, who have the desire to help each other in our builds

3: No one here started off with the ability to build an Airfix AWACS as good as you did, and even if they are further along in the experience level, they should have some respect.

4: You built the model the way YOU wanted to, unless the person was paying you for the build, they can stuff it!

Now if you had asked for an honest critique of your kit, I could have provided one...

Your crew never got to have the final say in the build. All through the build up, the little guys in blue busted their tails sanding, puttying, lining up and generally doing all the work at night when you were asleep.

And all they got in the end was to be pictured with the build!

Hey little 1/72 workers have feelings too ya know!!!

:thumbsup:

Seriously though, I will be using your build up when I do mine, you had so many good points.

Ric

Much appreciated Ric, you make excellent points that I believe the vast majority would agree with. The comment I got was laughable and not even related to the build, but I appreciate your comments none-the-less.

As for the little blue guys, you are correct, they are unionising as we speak. I have ruffled feathers to smooth.

Thanks again, and to the others who e-mailed me with reasonable comments and questions, and all the best with your AWACS, Ric, I look forward to seeing it.

Cheers, Ian