hi all,

anyone have pictures of AH-64A Apache (the foreground)?

South Carolina Army National Guard U.S.ARMY October 2004, IRAQ

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/styledf/1177212.jpg

because I'm riding my first model and I'm not finding anything beyond that photo for best references ...

someone help me?

Grateful

Fabiano Dias.

Edited by Albert Moore

oh.. don't know how good your googlefu is.. but the info on airliners.net for that image is:

Its in Arizona, 2007 and its being flown by a Boeing crew.

Edited by hovering
hi all,

anyone have pictures of AH-64A Apache (the foreground)?

1177212.jpg

because I'm riding my first model and I'm not finding anything beyond that photo for best references ...

someone help me?

Grateful

Fabiano Dias.

THAT HELICOPTER IS EVIL!!!! It crapped an engine on me climbing out of Latrobe airport! Turns out the main bearing started eating itself.

That particular photo was taken in Mesa Arizona in 2007, just before we got them. We got five of the South Carolina birds up in Pennsylvania when they started to transition to the Longbow. I've got a full walkaround of it. What specifically are you looking for on it?

Also, I will say that there was considerable discussion of the aft end of the tailboom when this photo first came out. I can confirm that it is NOT painted CARC green, it was gray all the way to the tail. That is just the shadow of the stabilator.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
I can confirm that it is NOT painted CARC green, it was gray all the way to the tail. That is just the shadow of the stabilator.

Say what.....

AH-64A.jpg

Your saying that 2 is a shadow like 3 and 4?

What are you saying is 1?

AH-64A1.jpg

IMHO

1 is the shadow area

2 is where the shadow stops

3 shows it wrapping around

4 is the shadow further up from the stabilizer, that color is different than the wrap around color.

5 has a nice clean stopping point

If I am wrong, can you point out where I am, cause I just don't see.

Thanks for the updated pics.

Edited by Tank

Are you sure it's just a shadow? :unsure: I think the stabilator shadow is along the red line and the bigger you blow it up, the more it looks like Helo Drab.

117721-bearb3.jpg

Kinda-EDIT: Tank was a bit faster. :lol:

Real EDIT: Man, I need to build one of those grey Apaches one day! :deadhorse1: Thanks for sharing those pics, Jon!

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Moritz, I hear ya and I agree with your assessment, that was my original take on it too.

It may well be, but six months after this photo when I was flying this exact aircraft, it was gray to the tip of the tailboom. I can't explain what we're seeing here, but I will say that if something broke on the bird and a new part was needed, it WAS NOT painted gray to match the rest of the helicopter. The intention was to not have to paint them before they went in to be Longbowed, so if a component needed to be replaced, it stayed green.

Also, there's NO reason to replace that section of tailboom. If you're gonna replace it, you're gonna replace the whole friggin thing, or you're gonna patch a hole. So I have no idea what the deal is with that particular section. I'll see if I've got a better shot of that part of the tailboom on 331 at home tonight.

Jon

After working Longbows for a year and a half, I can not figure out why in the crap that section is painted green. The only thing I can come up with is while it was at Mesa it "might" have had a major structure repair done to the aft tail boom. There is a major dubbler right about where the green starts that goes around the tail boom. If a crack was found there they might have put the tail boom in a jig and made a repair. This picture could be the bird going out on a test flight and after it passed it was sent to the paint barn for touch up. This also might have been a repair that CCAD could not do that required it to go to Mesa.

I am only guessing!

Brock

• 2 weeks later...

The Greys were at Ft Hood a coupple years back for cleaning after their return from playing in the sand. I was able to take several photos of one of them. I am new to this site so unfortunatly I havent figured out how to post them. My Email address is gremlin30@gmail.com . I will email them to you.

Gremlin, welcome to ARC. That is a nice of you to offer to send people those pics. One thing, for your peace of mind, I highly recommend taking your email address off of the post and just saying, "PM me for my email address".

Your email will end up in the wrong hands (forum bots and such) and you may get TONS of spam mails or other nastys sent to you.

There is a guide to posting photos at the top of the forum pages, but basically you have to use a website like Flickr or Imageshack to host them, then link them here. It isn't too tough to do.

Brandon

Per the green: Note also the color of the assembly surrounding the TADS (?). Must have been some type of depot parts-swapping. In one of my former jobs, I inadvertently inflicted some battle damage on a Chinook (LONG story). The sheet metal guys just patched that area and repainted it. So, it ended up being a slightly different color. Maybe they did a small bit of patching on the '64 and just painted some CARC on it to the pane lines for short-term corrosion protection, then it got the gray later.

Per the green: Note also the color of the assembly surrounding the TADS (?). Must have been some type of depot parts-swapping. In one of my former jobs, I inadvertently inflicted some battle damage on a Chinook (LONG story). The sheet metal guys just patched that area and repainted it. So, it ended up being a slightly different color. Maybe they did a small bit of patching on the '64 and just painted some CARC on it to the pane lines for short-term corrosion protection, then it got the gray later.

The TADS/PNVS mount was replaced before we got 331. It was still CARC green when we got it (and when it sh!t an engine on me!) but the tailboom was gray to the tailwheel. It is green in this pic, so I'm wondering if they sprayed it gray before it got to us. It doesn't make sense that they would have, but it was clearly gray when I flew it (I think I probably have 15 hours in that particular bird).

Jon