Work yesterday was interesting

I had to work a security special event yesterday at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA and it was interesting. I watched over the executives vehicles and directed other Hewlett Packard executives where to go to their meeting. They had a parking spot in front for the CEO's car and I had to move an orange cone for him as he pulled into the spot. It must be nice to be able to afford a black Mercedes Benz S550 that lists for $91,000 huh?

I found this and now understand why he drives such a nice car.

This guy is loaded! :deadhorse1:

From Wikipedia:

"The New York Times reports that in 2008 Hurd's total compensation was $33,952,237, including a base salary of $1,450,000, stock awards of $7,907,660, a cash bonus of $23,931,882 (the largest bonus of any CEO in 2008), and $662,695 in perks and other compensation. The independent web site The Globe Opinion reports Hurd's 2008 compensation as $42,514,524." Wow! :unsure:

...The REAL irony is that I betcha the guy didn't have to 'afford' that M-B; it was probably a 'perk' that is being covered in the cost of all those many dollars of compensation. That is the killer with these sorts of deals- folks who get paid millions in salary, millions more in bonuses, more millions in 'compensation packages', etc. - which they get to invest or otherwise spend in a 'discretionary' way- While most of us struggle to pay for all we need (transportation, healthcare, housing, food, etc.) out of a single paycheck with far fewer zeros & commas, so very little is left to invest for future growth or to set aside for retirement.

...The REAL irony is that I betcha the guy didn't have to 'afford' that M-B; it was probably a 'perk' that is being covered in the cost of all those many dollars of compensation. That is the killer with these sorts of deals- folks who get paid millions in salary, millions more in bonuses, more millions in 'compensation packages', etc. - which they get to invest or otherwise spend in a 'discretionary' way- While most of us struggle to pay for all we need (transportation, healthcare, housing, food, etc.) out of a single paycheck with far fewer zeros & commas, so very little is left to invest for future growth or to set aside for retirement.

That's the case where I work (although on a much smaller scale). The executives get to pick a car and the company leases it for them. They change their choices frequently. And this is after a 50% reduction in staff, cuts to benefits and no raises for two years.

Bitter much? Yup.

When you outsource your labor costs and insource your engineering costs there is a huge profit to be made. Why not compensate the management team for these gains. (Tongue in cheek). Aren't there 8 counties in the L.A. area that are at 20% unemployment?

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoy...mediafinal.html

Be thankful you have a job, don't get sick, hope your policy is honored by the insurance company, someone in the USA is out of touch and I don't think it is Everyday People.

John

Well, since HP earns 3x as much per year as it did before he took over (or abaout $20 billion over the 4 years he's been CEO, more than HP's previous CEO could pull in), I'd say it's a good investment. I'd bet he works a few more than 40 hours a week too.

Spongebob

When this so-called economy was tanking, car dealers out east were desperate for sales. A buddy of mine got a 95k Mercedes for some 40k and his wife a LandRover for less. It can be had even for the minions like us.

Btw, it was a nice car to drive, even though a Mercedes isn't my car of choice to drive.

Well, since HP earns 3x as much per year as it did before he took over (or abaout $20 billion over the 4 years he's been CEO, more than HP's previous CEO could pull in), I'd say it's a good investment. I'd bet he works a few more than 40 hours a week too.

Spongebob

Very true. The man is a genius and one of the best CEO's out there from what I have read. Hey, more power to him!

I know that HP is the only printer I will ever buy.

Very true. The man is a genius and one of the best CEO's out there from what I have read. Hey, more power to him!

I know that HP is the only printer I will ever buy.

Why, do you like ink on your desk ? :worship:

Maybe the guy LIKES that particular Benz ...

Gregg

I have never seen a better built printer, have you?

My older 932C has been flawless for many years.

It was a pun on what you wrote about Harleys ... :salute:

HPs are nice but I do prefer Canon printers ...

Gregg

It was a pun on what you wrote about Harleys ... :salute:

HPs are nice but I do prefer Canon printers ...

Gregg

It's all good. Harley's really are as bad as I joked about though. It's amazing how the masses buy such junk because of some supposed legend. :lol:

It's all good. Harley's really are as bad as I joked about though. It's amazing how the masses buy such junk because of some supposed legend. ;)

I beg to differ they make a pretty good product since about the mid 80s.