With the drivers position in that cab, he would have to be asleep to not see that car. If it were a long-nose truck it would be more believable. Unless the trucks driver was tiny and couldn't see over his own wheel.

That is some shocking video though, makes you wonder lots of things.

I watched open mouthed as the video ran. I could n't believe it and thought it might be a promotional video or similar but apparently it is totally true.

It happened on Jan 13th earlier this year and at the time, no proceedings were taken. Since this video, the police have re-opened their enquiries......

Thank goodness for side impact protection.

The best thing was, the woman driver was oblivious too as she was texting on her phone whilst applying her lip gloss and she thought cars were supposed to drive like that........

:monkeydance:

I have a buddy who did that in traffic, he is a truck driver and the car cut him off. Because he couldnt see it, he pushed it a ways until the traffic stopped again and the guy got out to yell at him. Problem is that if the driver is sitting back (as they normally are) with the music on full blast (which is normally the case) they are not going to see you, let alone feel it if they are fully loaded. I tried one of those peterbilts a while back and I couldnt see jack 15 ft in front of the truck, a small car could easily be lost in there. Lesson to be learned... Drive a pick up or dont cut off a truck.

I tried one of those peterbilts a while back and I couldnt see jack 15 ft in front of the truck, a small car could easily be lost in there.

I drove truck for a few years, and owned a Freightliner Classic. For giggles, I set a soda can on the ground and backed away from it, till I could see it, sitting in my normal position in the truck. The distance was 18 FEET... Obviously, a car will be taller than a soda can, but you still wont see much.

:P, A similar thing happened in a Melbourne tunnel a couple of years ago. I agree from having driven big rigs at a place I worked at (just into and out of the workshop and up and down the private access road) they can be hard to see out of. The driver of this truck changed lanes into the left rear corner of a Mercedes sedan and proceeded to push it sideways up the road for about 2 km. There was no way he hadn't seen the car as when he entered the tunnel it was ahead and in the next lane on his right hand side. He had been driving eratically before that and there justhappened to be a TV station camera crew out during article on the freeway so they accidentally were in the right place at the right time and captured the whole thing. When finally stopped the truckie was livid, claiming first of all that he hadn't seen the Mercedes, then that it had cut him off several kms earlier before entering the tunnel.

Footage from the camera crew and freeway surveillance cameras showed this to be an out and out lie and he was charged with failing to change lanes with safety, dangerous driving occasionaing actual bodily harm, (a passenger in the Merc was injured) exceeding the speed limit (with a car sideways across the front of his truck), driving without holding a heavy vehicle driver's licence and numerous other charges. He went to court maintaining his innocence despite the weight of evidence against him. Fortunately the balances of justice worked this time and he got a gaol sentence, not his first offence relating to heavy vehicles apparently.

Although most truckies I have come across, and I've come across many thousands of them in the last 40 of holding a driver's licence, are professional and very courteous, there are the few that give the rest a very bad name and porr reputation. These cowboys think that because of the size of their vehicles they can do as they please on the roads. Yet we see the same drivers appearing in court time after time for heavy vehicle related offences and there is always some excuse. I say give them a couple of chances, accept their excuses a couple of times, because anyone can make the occasional mistake, but when the 'mistakes' become systemic with that driver it's time to act and act swiftly and heavily.

"But", they say, "I won't be able to support my family". Oh, dear, you should have thought of that before you decided to be a smart arse and throw your vehicular weight around. Sorry sport, no sympathy for you. Just as I have no sympathy for another group of road users who break the law often; cyclists (as in push bikes). Some of them are another breed who think they are above the rules of the road. For the law abiding truckies and cyclist out there, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you all. For those who think they are above the law, I'm afraid, nothing but complete and absolute contempt.

:),

Ross.

• 10 years later...