I'm looking for help

Hi,

I've given up on Classic Airframes' 1/48 F2H-2 Banshee. They had announced it for 2008. Looks like they're out of business. Anyway, I have five of the old 1/48 Testors/ Hawk kits. I want to build them, but with a lot more detail. I do have the Squadron/Signal book. I can use that for the panel lines. I have some images of the cockpit, so that's not a problem. What I'm looking for are images of the landing gear, gear wells and wing folds (especially wing folds!). I've got about a million tools and templates for scribing the panel lines. I have a friend who does custom Photo-Etching, so I can do the artwork with CorlDraw and I can get him to do the instrument panel and wing folds. I build US Navy aircraft, so I like to do them with folded wings whenever possible. Soooo-does anyone know of am internet site or printed material that miight have the images I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Nick Onaitis

*Edited to remove address and phone numbers Al P.

Edited by Alvis 3.1

Nick,

I'm sorry to say there isn't much in the way of printed material on the Banjo, besides the "In Action" title you already own. There is the Ginter Naval Fighter title "F2H Bahsee" (#2), but it is oop and I quickly glanced through my personal copy and could find no detail photos of the wheel wells. Next is the Detail&Scale title "Jets Fighters of the US Navy part 1", it was issued in some Revell kits a while back and isn't a bad book. It has some decent detail shots in its' few pages on the Banjo, but again none of the wheel wells. The best Banjo title out there (and one I don't have) is called "Banshees in the Royal Canadian Navy" by Carl Mills. I've heard good things, but again I can't say for sure if it'll truly help as I don't actually own the book. HTH

Edited by madmanrick

I'm also looking for detailed info for building two of the Testors/Hawk kits I have. Here are some links and books I've collected. If you or anyone else has anything to add I'd appreciate your listing.

Books: (Most contain about the same quality detail photos as in the "in Action" book)

FH/F2H Banshee in Action, #182 Squadron

Air War Over Korea, #6082 Squadron

USN Aircraft Carrier Air Units, #6160 Squadron

Jet Fighters of the US Navy, Part-1 (Revell)

US Fighters of the 50's, #6023 Squadron

USN/USMC Over Korea, #6048 Squadron

Links:

Really Good walk-Around Photos (Including wingfold)

Great Walk-Around Pics

More Great Walk-Around Pics

RCN F2H-3 Banshee Walk-Around (White painted wing-fold = easier to see details)

FH-1 Walk-Around Pics

Walk-Around Pics of Banshee on USS Lexington

Banshee Blueprints (1)

Banshee Blueprints (2)

Banshee Blueprints (3)

Resin Ejection Seat

F2H-2 Modeling Notes (More Interesting Stuff Here Also)

Nuclear Banshees

CollectAire Banshee 1:48 Kit Review

Collect Aire 1/48 F2H-2P Banshee By Fotios Rouch

F2H-3/4 Banshee The Big Banjo by Fotios Rouch

Hawk / Testor's 1/48 scale McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee by Don Fogal

F2H-2 BANSHEE (1/48 Scale) Henry D.Y. Townsend

Testors/Hawk 1/48 F2H Banshee by Steve Mesner

1/48 Testors F2H Banshee by Darren Roberts

Testor / Hawk 1/48 scale F2H-1 Banshee by Tony Prince

Testor / Hawk F2H Banshee by Harold Offield

Banshee Sim Skin (Could be useful to modelers)

Banshee Cockpit Photos

ARC discussion on the Banshee

The McDonnell FH-1 Phantom & F2H Banshee

Wreckchasing US Navy F2H Banshee

Wings Palette (Banshee Paint Schemes & Markings)

Edited by Unit19
Nick,

I'm sorry to say there isn't much in the way of printed material on the Banjo, besides the "In Action" title you already own. There is the Ginter Naval Fighter title "F2H Bahsee" (#2), but it is oop and I quickly glanced through my personal copy and could find no detail photos of the wheel wells. Next is the Detail&Scale title "Jets Fighters of the US Navy part 1", it was issued in some Revell kits a while back and isn't a bad book. It has some decent detail shots in its' few pages on the Banjo, but again none of the wheel wells. The best Banjo title out there (and one I don't have) is called "Banshees in the Royal Canadian Navy" by Carl Mills. I've heard good things, but again I can't say for sure if it'll truly help as I don't actually own the book. HTH

Ginter released a replacement for the F2H-1/2 section of Naval Fighter #2: http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF73.htm. It provides as much detail and information as you could want from a modeler's standpoint on the -1 and -2 as well as the -2P and the -2N.

The Royal Canadian Navy Banshees book is excellent but is focused on the operational RCN use of the F2H-3/4 rather providing a detailed description from a modeler's standpoint.