F4U Corsair kit - advice

There are a couple of 1/32nd kits, First Revell has an old F4U-1A which has been reissued over the years,not sure if its out now but someone will have one sitting around.

Trumpeter has 2 kits in 1/32nd of the corsair a F4U-1D and a F4U-4 which should be available.

Dont know of any Corsair kits in 1/24th.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Oh if you type in Trumpeter Corsair F4U-1 to Google you will get links to reveiws of the Trumpeter kits which may come in handy for you.

Mark

PS> Welcome to ARC!

Great - many thanks Mark. I actually meant tamiya (not Hasegawa) in original post. I did a little searching and found out about those 1/32 Revell kits (just missed a good one on ebay) and will now have a look for the Trumpeter ones. Seems like there are some real Corsair enthusiasts out there - my father was in the Fleet Air Arm on the Victorious and brought them up onto duck on the lifts - have some great photos...

Thanks - look like an interesting forum to be on...

The only thing I know of bigger than the 1/32 kits mentioned is the 21st Century Toys' 1/18 F4U-1D. Seems to have a decent outline, but needs a fair amount of scratchbuilding to detail it up. The landing gear is designed to be retractable, and would have to be totally replaced, the engine is just a (decently done, actually) front face, and the cockpit is more-or-less there but could use a lot of dressing up. Still, it is a big, impressive hunk o' plastic!

I've been plodding through the Trumpeter -4 for longer than I want to admit. . Basically, it's accurate. Cowl flaps need to be replaced. Engine is fairly accurate. I used the Vector resin engine, which is dead-on. The kit exhausts are way too small but rather than rebuild them I just made some sleeves from tubing to slip over the ends. The cockpit will work. I used Eduard cockpit detail set. Also the SAC landing gear. The only serious seam filling I found was where the fuselage and wing join up and the sides of the firewall. If the wings are extended, they need some serious reinforcement. Folded wings (my choice) are sturdy enough with the external braces included in the kit. The kit bombs are doo-doo. Drop tanks are good, as are rockets.

Oh yeah, I single-handedly made major contributions to the aftermarket industry! Used the JR Rutman prop. Kit blades are tapered...wrong. Also used his wheels/tires. I don't like vinyl tires. And finally, the Eduard exterior detail set. I could have gotten a decent model without that one, though.

I'm, still plodding! I got tired of messing with it and have switched to some less detailed builds for a while.

PM me if you want. I don't pretend to be the end-all source for this kit and will be happy to share what I do know.

Thanks - its all good info - seems like the Corsair has quite a following. I am reading more and more and will certainly look at some of those detailing kits now and find a Revell 1/32 model.

I am now on a mission to build a really good one as my father was in the Fleet Air Arm on the Victorious in the Pacific Fleet and was responsible for the Service and Maintainance and bringing up onto deck of these aircraft...if I find the photos will scan and post here.

Thanks - its all good info - seems like the Corsair has quite a following. I am reading more and more and will certainly look at some of those detailing kits now and find a Revell 1/32 model.

I am now on a mission to build a really good one as my father was in the Fleet Air Arm on the Victorious in the Pacific Fleet and was responsible for the Service and Maintainance and bringing up onto deck of these aircraft...if I find the photos will scan and post here.

The camo pattern on those FAA Corsairs were really neat. Great eye therapy.
The camo pattern on those FAA Corsairs were really neat. Great eye therapy.

No Camo on the FAA Corsairs used in the Pacific though, they used the same paint scheme as the US did, just with the Pacific-style FAA roundels and clipped wingtips. The Atlantic Fleet got all the cool paintjobs.

No Camo on the FAA Corsairs used in the Pacific though, they used the same paint scheme as the US did, just with the Pacific-style FAA roundels and clipped wingtips. The Atlantic Fleet got all the cool paintjobs.
This where I got that idea of camo FAA Corsairs from. Also one in Brett Greene's book, "Building the F-4U.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement. Not all Pacific fleet FAA Corsairs were overall blue. Heres' proof:

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadron...x_early1945.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement. Not all Pacific fleet FAA Corsairs were overall blue. Heres' proof:

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadron...x_early1945.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Just to update - managed to find a Revell 1/32 on ebay with all the Eduard Kits inluded etc (well pleased). Is there any reference sites/material for the Corsair esp the FAA versions?

Cheers

There is a lat war Corsair being restored in the FAA museum. Have a look at the site. They are peeling it back to its 1945 paintwork... Which was Sea Blue, however Corsairs had previously been painted in the Temperate Sea Scheme and did serve in the pacific in that scheme...

Edited by Grey Beema