Pretty simple question really. Is there any benefit to me by upgrading (paying for) to AVG Internet Security versus staying with the free version? I am currently running the AVG Internet Security 30 day free trial but had the free version for quite awhile.

Thanks,

Tom

Im not a big fan of anti-virus programs. I use common sense for myself, and I cant remember having a virus on my computer. For other people's computers I install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, there is no paid version, so you get the full program, and it updates through Windows Update.

The PC I'm using came with the free version of AVG, I never used anti-virus programs before and I can't see any difference between having this program or not. Didn't get a warning once, and I download a lot of torrents, sometimes even unverified ones. Than again, I was proly lucky, doing that it's only a matter of time until you pick a virus up....

There may be advantages on having the 'full', paid version that I don't know about but personally I wouldn't get it.

Cheers

I ran the free version of AVG from 2001 through 2009.

It is great, catches things and kept me virus free (except when my X sister in law opened email on my laptop with embedded virus packages)

I now use microsoft security essentials. As said by others its free, updates 3X a day automatically, covers spyware and other malware. The biggest benefit is that it uses very little system resources. Avg is a resource hog. When I changed my old 2004 XP laptop to MSE, I noticed it booted up quite a bit faster, and ran cooler overall.

Hope this helps, I never upgraded to the paid version.

As an IT professional, my workmates and myself have come to the conclusion (of the free Anti-Virus) that Avast is the best and second Microsoft.

On the basis that Avast uses slightly less resources, and neither have any annoying adverts.

Chris