Pacific P-47 Question

I have the book "Kearby's Thunderbolts" about the 348th Fighter Group in the PTO. Their are photos of their P-47's using the flat tank on the centerline station. I believe it was the 150 gallon Republic built steel tank. I am not sure about the later 200 gallon tank. As I recall, it was made in the UK so was probably not used in the PTO. The 348th initially had P-47D-4's and -5's which only had the centerline station. There were no wing pylons on their early OD and gray birds. Later natural metal D-23's had the wing pylons.

I also found this link which talks about the Australian made tanks, but does not show them.

Clicky

There were some Australian made drop tanks for the P-47 as well, but memory eludes me as to what type and size they were. I'll check the book when I get home tonight. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ham

I think what you're seeing in photos of the 348th is the so-called Brisbane tank, not the Republic tank. The reason the Brisbane tank was created is that they couldn't get the Republic tanks in theatre. They had to come up with an alternative. The SWPA in 1943 was truly the backwater of the US war effort. Every expense and effort was spared in their resupply and support. They felt like bastard children most of the time.

J

An interesting topic. After looking at all my references, I think that the 348th Fighter Group probably had to make do with a few US made 150 gallon flat Republic tanks and the locally made "Brisbane" tanks which may have been based on the Republic tank. At least for a while until the supply situation got better. There are photos of their later natural metal P-47's using the P-38 type 165 gallon tanks. Mustangs in the PTO used these tanks as well.

The 348th FG was initially outfitted with P-47D-2 and D-3 models which had no centerline shackles or plumbing for drop tanks. It appears the 348th maintenance staff locally modified these early P-47's to use centerline drop tanks. They later got camoflaged P-47D-4 and D-5 models that probably did have the shackles but not the bulged lower fuselage. None of these early Thunderbolts had wing stations. The 348th FG received some P-47D-23's in natural metal later in 1944. These Thunderbolts had the wing stations.

I found this link today when searching for Brisbane tanks. The photos here show a tank that appears to be relatively flat, but fatter than the the Republic 150 gallon flat tanks. Hope this helps. FWIW, in 1/72 scale at least I don't know of any kits that include anything like the "Brisbane" tank. B)

Clicky

I was thinking this would be a yes, or no question. :thumbsup: I'll post a pic of the tank I have with the kit,as I can't tell if it's a Brisbane or Republic tank in the kit.