This is a far better movie than the insipid Pearl Harbor movie that came out a few years ago.

Tora, Tora,Tora, deals with the more political aspects of the attack and why it became.

For those that have not seen Tora, Tora, Tora, watch it. It is a great movie. And the japanese actually talk Japanese.

Cheers :banana:

Andy G

When Pearl Harbor was released over here, the review I read was headlined "Torture! Torture! Torture!". I didn't bother with the movie after that.
As the Knight said in the Indiana Jones movie. "You have chosen well"
This is a far better movie than the insipid Pearl Harbor movie that came out a few years ago.

Tora, Tora,Tora, deals with the more political aspects of the attack and why it became.

For those that have not seen Tora, Tora, Tora, watch it. It is a great movie. And the japanese actually talk Japanese.

Cheers :cheers:

Andy G

I was so infuriated after watching Pearl Harbor that I bought "Tora,Tora,Tora" for my DVD collection just to never forget how good a war movie can be...

I agree, Tora Tora Tora, was an excellent movie that was well researched. All of the little stories told were based on actual accounts from both sides. Midway, and Pearl Harbor, sucks on all counts!

Tora Tora Tora, is based on Gordon Prangs book, "At Dawn we Slept". Gordorn Prang was a history professor at the University of Maryland. An authorian on the Pacific War. His books dealing on the subject are outstanding and standard reading for any history student on the war in the Pacific. Highly recommend them!

A little trivia for you...

It was really sort of two movies. So as to not go into a lot of detail, I'll just say... the Americans filmed their side of the story, and the Japanese filmed their side of the story. The two movies were spliced together, so-to-speak.

Looking on the positive side, Pearl Harbor did have Kate Beckinsale in it.

Regards,

Murph

I can say this about Pearl Harbor.

While not the most factually correct movie, (by a long shot) it did bring a aspect of American/Japanese history to a group of people that heard something about this war thingy that their grandfather may or may not have been in, or probably more correct "So this is what that video game is about"

sad but true

Looking on the positive side, Pearl Harbor did have Kate Beckinsale in it.

Regards,

Murph

OK, We all love Kate Beckinsale.

But I prefer her in Underworld, where she takes care of wolves like me...

:whistle:

I try to run Tora every Dec 7, and Longest Day every June 6. Yankee Doodle dandy is great for 4th July, but very dated. Hal Sr

You and me both. Also don't forget September 15th - Battle of Britain - but then again why stick to once a year? :whistle:

Edited by MikeC

I watched TORA TORA TORA last week end and I was absolutely mesmerized and captivated by the story.

Amazing..OH SO much better than PEARL HARBOR movie....

I agree with Andy G...Great moive....

{lately there have been so many war themed moives shown on tv here. ."THEY WERE EXPENDABLE"," THE SEA CHASE",..I enjoyed them both} :worship:

HOLMES :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES
I watched TORA TORA TORA last week end and I was absolutely mesmerized and captivated by the story.

Amazing..OH SO much better than PEARL HARBOR movie....

I agree with Andy G...Great moive....

{lately there have been so many war themed moives shown on tv here. ."THEY WERE EXPENDABLE"," THE SEA CHASE",..I enjoyed them both} :worship:

HOLMES :whistle:

Really? Here in Italy too, maybe it's just the season?

There's a channel showing a classic war movie every sunday... in the last weeks they had.... uhm, let me think... the longest day, midway, tora tora tora (yeah, in that order) and... yesterday I think it was Patton... but I had something better to do :wub:

Really? Here in Italy too, maybe it's just the season?

There's a channel showing a classic war movie every sunday... in the last weeks they had.... uhm, let me think... the longest day, midway, tora tora tora (yeah, in that order) and... yesterday I think it was Patton... but I had something better to do :worship:

Yuri,

Almost the same movies here too.. :whistle:

A shirt-tail cousin of mine was stationed aboard U.S.S. Lexington (CV-16) when they shot the Japanese hangar deck scenes...they "painted" a few of the American sailors brown and had them in the background as extras. He was one of them, so his story goes...the make-up artists even pulled their eyes back with tape. Don't quote me on any of this, I heard it ONCE and that was 40 years ago, haven't seen the guy since.

TTT was almost a documentary, with no interwoven love stories to keep the womenfolk from falling asleep in their theater seats, and just very well-made.

John

Edited by John Krukowski
so his story goes...the make-up artists even pulled their eyes back with tape. Don't quote me on any of this, I heard it ONCE and that was 40 years ago, haven't seen the guy since.

Well, I have an uncle who served on the Oriskany, and he claims the carrier scenes were shot on that ship. Of course, he has a lot of "sea stories" that I've long since discounted as having any factual basis.

Interesting story about TTT. Iconic director Akira Kurosawa was originally hired to handle the Japanese sequences, but he proved nearly impossible to work with, and was fired from the project after falling months behind schedule and producing no usable footage. Also, instead of hiring actors to portray the senior Japanese naval officers, he hired major bankers and business executives..hoping to score points with them so they'd finance his future projects.

TTT and PH were of course vastly different concepts. TTT attempted to tell the story of the attack and what led up to it. Very well done, but probably too dry for today's audiences. PH was a story of several people who were involved in the attack. The concept certainly had potential, but historical inaccuracies aside (and they were legion) the movie itself was simply awful. Cliched story and characters, and ridiculously over-the-top melodrama. Michael Bay should stick to "popcorn" action fantasies, and leave the serious historical dramas to the professionals.

SN

Well, I have an uncle who served on the Oriskany, and he claims the carrier scenes were shot on that ship. Of course, he has a lot of "sea stories" that I've long since discounted as having any factual basis.

SN

Don't know about Tora Tora Tora, but the USS Savo Island in Bridges at Toko Ri was actually the Oriskany.

My only complaints about Tora3 is that, 1) if you don't know the battle well it's easy to get confused with what's happening, and you feel like you're just sitting through a bunch of nonstop blowing-up-of-stuff. Yes, I know that's not what it is at all, but it can easily seem like that if you don't know the battle well. Second, 2) it is sadly devoid of much of the emotional impact of the otherwise poor "PH". Maybe it's just my involvement with the USS Arizona's survivors, but to me I want to FEEL something, FEEL the sense of loss on a personal level. It pains me to admit that "PH" does accomplish that.

I try to run Tora every Dec 7, and Longest Day every June 6. Yankee Doodle dandy is great for 4th July, but very dated. Hal Sr

I always watch Young Frankenstein on Halloween :)

J

PS: And Casablanca any told time. That movie never gets old. And Ingrid Bergman was a dish in 1942!