1/32nd F/A-18A RAAF "20 years Hornet"

Hi fellows,

A few months ago when I posted my big Flanker I've told you I was going to do the same with some of my other kits.

This time up is my big Aussie Hornet. I was sold from the first picture I saw from this Hornet. The Australians really applied a magnificent painting on this bird to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the F/A-18. And when I found myself a copy of the decals for it the game was on.

I've based myself on the Academy F/A-18C kit but this kit needed some modifications to present an accurate F/A-18A from the RAAF. This involved the removal of some of the tail & fuselage antennas, a new cockpit set and the addition of the IFF and lower fusalge bulges ( which are provided by Academy in their kit :cheers: )

Painting this bird up in the high gloss blue was more difficult then I first though. You could see almost every little error and dust. But after A LOT of clear coats, sanding, clear coat, sanding, clear coat, sanding....It was finally acceptable for me. The decals I used are the ones from Leading Edge. This set is just HUGE! 7 A5 sheets of decals :D But applying them wasn't easy. It seems that they've used a lot of ink to make the decals making them quite thick and brittle. I've applied 3 coats of DACO's strong decal setting but even then some of the big decals just wouldn't melt like they should have done.

But nevertheless I'm happy with my result. I was even happier when the model was rated Highy Commended at the 2010 Flanders Modeling Contest.

So here it is :

img3005copy.jpg

img3022copy.jpg

img3031copy.jpg

img3025copy.jpg

img3039copy.jpg

img3044copy.jpg

img3048copy.jpg

img3052copy.jpg

img3046copy.jpg

That's it folks.

Greetz

Rick

Wow, excellent job, I love the paint job. And those Aires exhausts look outstanding. One tip for future reference about the Leading Edge brand decals, they like warm or heated water to dip in, that softens the carrier film and ink and allows them to settle down easier.

ARRRRGGGHHH!! I wish folks would stop posting pics of their builds and or Hornets in cool schemes! Now I have to add this one to the list.

If I'm succesful at tracking a set of these decals down, I sincerely hope I can do as much justice to the build as you've done, Rick. That is absolutely gorgeous.

Nice work!

-Waco

Extremely nice work!! Only one bit of constructive criticism is that Australia doesn't use the vinyl intake blanks you have shown here, we use foam filled "plug" style blanks.

Awesome job on the decals!

• 4 months later...
Extremely nice work!! Only one bit of constructive criticism is that Australia doesn't use the vinyl intake blanks you have shown here, we use foam filled "plug" style blanks.

Awesome job on the decals!

Is this a recent change then?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australia--...f2f6184989a6bec

The reason I ask, is that I've got an RAAF 'tub' on the go and was planning on using the above pic for reference.

Cheers,

Mark