Hobby Boss F-14 Tomcat

If I can build 2 HB's for the price of 1 Hase, there's finally a chance to start on that full Tomcat squadron collection in 1/48.

But sadly, I suspect the HB to be about the same price as their F/A-18C which is about 80% the price of a Hase Cat.

Weapons is a bonus though.

Anyways, there's always room for more Cat's to choose from.

Edit: Just checked my local supplier. They have the HB F-14 listed now for about the same price as the Hase. Only slightly cheaper. Academy and Italeri are way cheaper.

Edited by THX1138

Wow, those stabilators are... not my style. I'm sure plenty of guys will enjoy applying a nice black wash over all of those rivet divots and really making 'em POP! And that's their prerogative... Speaking for nobody but me, though, that is pretty disappointing.

Interesting strategy on the wingtips. Maybe they're molding the tip as one piece, which would be cool for assembly and seam cleanup around the navigation and slime lights.

Did the wingtips change that much over time? I guess I am wondering after seeing the Harrier GR-7 pics that have been posted and remembering that the Hasegawa kit has differing wingtips to account for the differances between marks.

Though it may be also as Andrew mentions it may be a way to mold them in one piece without needing cleanup around detail.

Does the 32nd have it laid out the same way? The 32nd listing on 1999.co.jp doesn't have the instruction sheet displayed

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

Given their recent released I would be shocked, SHOCKED, if this kit retailed for under $90 US. I am a huge fan of the extras included to make the Bombcat conversion, but I am set in my ways with the Hasegawa and I can easily pick up the new Wolf Pack updates to spruce the older kit up.

Massive riveting that doesn't exist on the real thing...why?...

Out of bounds! You can't say anything about rivets. We all know real aircraft are covered with them, and that's why Trumpetboss does their kits that way. Or so one would think when one posts comments such as yours. :monkeydance:

J

Out of bounds! You can't say anything about rivets. We all know real aircraft are covered with them, and that's why Trumpetboss does their kits that way. Or so one would think when one posts comments such as yours. :cheers:

J

Actually, you can't say anything about Trumpetboss at all....cause they will think we are being racist.

Looks like a promising kit...but really, somebody needs to capture that "mad riveter" and super glue his fingers together. :cheers: Their A-10, a nice kit but heavily riveted…extremely over done. However except for the A-10 which has both, modern US jets/fighters have flush rivets and even when viewed close up they are not that noticeable. The stabilizers are just wrong; the surface should be smooth with no prominent rivets, break out the Mr. Surfacer 500. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are feeding us great subjects but the accuracy of their products is hit and miss...with overwhelming emphasis on miss, remember Hasegawa’s F-104, it’s a beauty of a kit but the wings had massive riveting(“hail damageâ€) not found on the real thing…so I bought four!!! But here again it's a hobby and no kit is perfect, so I don't get too worked up over it. Check out the walk around photo at Prime Portal, a great ref site for modeling!!!

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/f-14_home.htm

my ruling on this kit is the chicken isn't even hatched yet. meaning i need to get the final product to make my choice. but IT dose have weapons!! so after i get one i will tell all of you what i think about it ;)

I think that the new kit will have lots of good and important updates. If the radar is included that is awesome, and if the latches on the canopy sill are there, another bonus! It will be expensive I guarantee it. I think it will be a good kit, but again I am sticking with my Hasegawas. It would just look weird next to my hasegawa cats. Not bashing the kit mind you, just putting a premium on continuity.

More Tomcats is always a good thing. More competetively priced tomcats is awesome. As for the rivets, those pics look to be extreme closeups. I'll wait.

I don't think this really applies to the tomcat but some plaes, like the A-10 actually look better with lots of rivets. I'm not sure why.

Judging by their current pricing on other kits, I think the hasegawa's F-14s are going to be the cheaper alternative.

I would really like to be wrong on this one.

Edited by pookie