Anyone play an instrument?

Well in between various projects I picked up a Harmonica to learn, so far after a week I can only play Twinkle Twinkle... But does anyone else play a musical instrument while taking time out from their kits?

I've been a professional guitar player for over 30 years and still love it. Becoming an accomplished player of any musical instrument will require waaaayy more time and dedication than building models.

Jerry

Edited by dragonfly
Well in between various projects I picked up a Harmonica to learn, so far after a week I can only play Twinkle Twinkle... But does anyone else play a musical instrument while taking time out from their kits?

I too have a Harmonica but havn't really got into learning it unfortunatly..maybe I should.

Also I have a bodran given to me a present from an irish girldfriend a few years back...which again I should get around to learning!

Had a guitar for almost ten years but never learned how to play. I am in my early thirties. Am I beyond hope, or too late I should say?

Never too late. Really, you can have a lot of fun with it. Now you have the Internet to learn from! God I wish I had that when I was learning the guitar. Just go to You Tube and type something like "How to play Beatles" or Stones or....

Had a guitar for almost ten years but never learned how to play. I am in my early thirties. Am I beyond hope, or too late I should say?

Naaa

"Learnt" (more or less) at 32, still playing

101_0326.jpg

Anyway, maybe I don't really want to know how your garden grows, 'cause I just wanna fly....

Edited by Yuri

Nevah!!! It's never too late.

I play guitar a little, some button box (an accordion with buttons instead of piano keys...diatonic, different notes in & out, like the harmonica) a bit of piano, bass once or twice, violin for a day...mostly guitar though. I don't put much time into music so my range is limited although I can usually jump in and keep pretty good rhythm for someone who really can play a musical instrument.

John

For Heaven's sake, I can't be the only drummer in here?!?!

Cue all the usual drummer jokes! Best not, I'm an occasional drummer in our church band, although I've never played real drums as we have a set of Roland V-Drums. Also I'm an occasional bass and guitar player, but piano/keyboard is really my thing.

peebeep

i played trumpet for 7 years from 5th-11th grades...sadly in the last 10 years ive forgotten the majority of everything to play it! i did pick up a didjeridu when i was in australia that i can *somewhat* play. i can get the basic drone and some pitch changes...but i need to work on my circular breathing to really get better at it, but its a goal. i also want to learn to play the bagpipes.

For Heaven's sake, I can't be the only drummer in here?!?!

Nope...at least two of us! I've been at it for about 30 years now. Went a couple years without playing, but couldn't stand it & got back into it about 6 years ago.

I'm not much good, but I love it!

As a matter of fact, I just repainted my main set of tubs...before (blue) and after (copper):

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

-Mike

When I was a kid I used to play around with a piano a friend's relative had. The only thing I learned to do on it was teach myself to play the theme from the Guns of Navaronne.

When I got into High School I took up the flute.

These days I can't play because of the high pitch of the instrument and my hearing loss from the Air Force.

I play the trumpet and piano. It's been a while since I've played either seriously, but did have a trumpet trio with two buddies in college; we'd do corporate Christmas parties. Law firms were always the best...they'd give us access to the open bar after we were done.

:cheers:

Mike

Nope...at least two of us! I've been at it for about 30 years now. Went a couple years without playing, but couldn't stand it & got back into it about 6 years ago.

I'm not much good, but I love it!

-Mike

Make that at least 3 of us here. (nice looking sets btw) Been playing drums since Junior high, drumset since senior year of high school. Did the whole band thing for about 20 years til we had our first daughter. I still play in the church orchestra/band but just don't have the motivation to pack up my drums and do early bar load-ins and 4:00a.m. load-outs any more. Or drive for hours in a smelly van with a bunch of smelly guys reaking of beer, alchohol and cigarette smoke (although that had it's fun moments at times) Priorities definately change when you have children. I do miss playing in the "real world" but the bass player and the guitar player at the church are actually two guys from the last band I played with so we get to jam here and there and it's very rewarding playing praise music. I'd love to maybe start a contemporary Christian group and play some of the cooler stuff. Typically earlier gigs, and it would be something I could bring my family to.

Keep at the practicing and learn as much as you can about music. Not just your instrument but as much as you can about everything. I think I've learned more about playing music on drums by listening to and playing with really good bass players than from listening to drummers. And that's the other key thing to being a good musician, listen to the people you are playing with. Nothing more frustrating to play with a guy who just sit's in his own little "listen to me" world. Those types usually don't stay in a band very long.

Bill

Played Alto Sax for 8 years, from elementary through High School. Got pretty good at it. I still take it out every summer for a local concert band I'm part of. My biggest problem is a lack of sheet music, and horrible improvisational skills.

Depending on if I take the class or not, I may have an excuse to pick up the guitar. The sculpture instructor occasionally teaches a guitar building class, and even though I technically graduate in a couple months, I might be able to stick around for one more class... :cheers:

20 years of guitar, a few to play in Bars...

had been playing a little of everything, the violin,the saw...some didgeridoo...

a long ago, i had built my own drum by myself (only buying skins,cymbals and pedal) men, that monster was ugly, enormous!!! but sounds like thunder!

but now, i only keep a mic, a guitar a keyboard... ain't got that much place for it, since i've got a dedicated modelling room...

Guitar, mostly electric (Telecasters FTW!) but acoustic at home, a bit of banjo for added variation, harmonica, and I know my way around a bass in emergencies.

Cheers,

Andre

I played trumpet from about 5th grade through high school and was half-decent. Never was quite good enough to attempt to make a living at it but it was fun. I still mess around a bit now and again, more so now that my oldest has started playing. I think the biggest reason I didn't keep up with it after high school was the group we had then. We all went our separate ways after graduation, but that group of guys and gals was a big part of why it was so much fun.