Howdy folks, thought you might be interested in my latest project at work. It's a Cessna 170 that is going through a complete restoration. The owner wants it to have a polished metal finish, so this is what's kept me occupied for the last few weeks.

Before:

DSC01128.jpg

As of today:

UNI_1000.jpg

UNI_1001.jpg

UNI_1002.jpg

Sadly the LH wing has some hail damage and the owner doens't want to go down the road of reskinning the wing.

UNI_0996.jpg

UNI_0997.jpg

Fair way to go yet, but she's looking mighty awesome sofar!

Cheers,

Denzil

Howdy folks, thought you might be interested in my latest project at work. It's a Cessna 170 that is going through a complete restoration. The owner wants it to have a polished metal finish, so this is what's kept me occupied for the last few weeks.

Before:

DSC01128.jpg

As of today:

UNI_1000.jpg

UNI_1001.jpg

UNI_1002.jpg

Sadly the LH wing has some hail damage and the owner doens't want to go down the road of reskinning the wing.

UNI_0996.jpg

UNI_0997.jpg

Fair way to go yet, but she's looking mighty awesome sofar!

Cheers,

Denzil

Hi Denzil,

that sure is a fine looking aircraft, thanks for posting.

Reggie AKA The Cameraman

Cheers guys!

pbishop- You ought to be able to find a 170 easy enough in your part of the world. All it takes to get her looking good is a bit of paint stripper and a bucket load of elbow grease! That's a bloody good idea about the sticker, I'll suggest that too the owner! :D

RCoulter52- The aircraft started it's life as an early Cessna 172. The 170 and early 172 are almost identical, save for empenage, a bit of internal structure, swapping a nosewheel to tailwheel, and moving the main landing gear forwards. Fairly common mod, and it results in a MUCH prettier aeroplane!

Denzil

• 2 weeks later...

:D,

Hm, had a look at one of the O-1 Bird Dogs I have in the stash and I reckon I can convert it to a 170. Just needs a bit of formwork laid onto the empenage up to the Bird Dog's rear window and fill that in with card and filler and change the shape of the door and add a new one on the left hand side, rub the heavy window frames down, fill in the top windows, change the shape of the rear side windows and remove the radio areials on the tailplanes. With all that extra weight behind the main gear there's no way it would be a nose sitter. Then all that would need to done is make up a couple of control wheels from wire and a couple of pairs of rudder pedals and voila a 1/72 scale Cessna 170. Not strictly accurate but I think good enough for a representation in 'braille scale'.

:salute:,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
  • 1 month later...
:whistle:,

Hm, had a look at one of the O-1 Bird Dogs I have in the stash and I reckon I can convert it to a 170. Just needs a bit of formwork laid onto the empenage up to the Bird Dog's rear window and fill that in with card and filler and change the shape of the door and add a new one on the left hand side, rub the heavy window frames down, fill in the top windows, change the shape of the rear side windows and remove the radio areials on the tailplanes. With all that extra weight behind the main gear there's no way it would be a nose sitter. Then all that would need to done is make up a couple of control wheels from wire and a couple of pairs of rudder pedals and voila a 1/72 scale Cessna 170. Not strictly accurate but I think good enough for a representation in 'braille scale'.

Or you could just build the ol' reliable Monogram kit in something-sorta-close-to-1/48-scale. I think that'd be much less work in doing a respectable 170.

:D, You're probably right there Antonov, but I model in 1/72 scale for space reasons. And besides that I don't mind a challenge. Apart from that there's a Sai-Marchetti Super Dog at Luskintyre airfield, not too far from where I live. I'd like to do that conversion some day too. Next time I'm up there and it's out of its hangar I'll do a walkaround and post the pics in the walkaround section.

:(,

Ross.

Cheers guys!

pbishop- You ought to be able to find a 170 easy enough in your part of the world. All it takes to get her looking good is a bit of paint stripper and a bucket load of elbow grease! That's a bloody good idea about the sticker, I'll suggest that too the owner! :)

RCoulter52- The aircraft started it's life as an early Cessna 172. The 170 and early 172 are almost identical, save for empenage, a bit of internal structure, swapping a nosewheel to tailwheel, and moving the main landing gear forwards. Fairly common mod, and it results in a MUCH prettier aeroplane!

Denzil

Are they keeping the original tail? If they do, it will look more like a 180 than a 170!

;),

:),

Ross.

Funny, I always hankered to take a Monogram 180 and a 1/48 L-19 and make an OE-2. Never got around to it, tho.

• 6 months later...

Howdy again guys. Been a bit of a while between posts, but better late than never!

As of now, all the polishing is done. Owner just needs to decide what engine to put in, then we move forwards again!

c173a6e4.jpg

5c55f7cb.jpg

266f956c.jpg

1b10778c.jpg

f9ff78dd.jpg

Georgeg; that would make for a very cool project, and certainly get a lot of strange looks. Yes, she's going back to 170B spec, round tail and all.

Ross, how's your 72nd 170 coming? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Denzil

:), Hi Denzil,

At the moment it isn't going at all and neither is anything else. I'm 3 days back at work after a 2 week stint as a patient where I work and then had just on 3 weeks sick leave during which time my Mum was admitted to the same hospital with a bad chest infection. She should be coming home tomorrow. My days have been rather full of visiting and washing clothes these last 2 weeks. I like the reflection portrait of you in the Cessna's tail. You've done an excellent job there mate. Do you think it will be finished by Festival of Flight next year? It would be great to see it there if the owner could make it. Hope to see you there again next year. The other day at work I got a call from one of the owners of a beautiful maroon Stinson 108 Voyager. Ihad met these fellows at Watts Bridge and had acted as this man's and his friends' taxi while they were at Watts Bridge. The Stinson is hangared at Luskintyre and they invited me to go up there this Saturday and go for a fly with them in it. That will be a real privilege. As well it is the Luskintyre Christmas Party so I'll be able to rub shoulders with other air minded people.

:coolio:,

and all the best for the Festive Season,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy Holmes,

Sadly work has come to a halt for the time being. The owner is trying to sell his other C 172 to finance this thing, and sofar he hasn't had much luck (know anyone who wants a well run in Cessna 172? :rofl: ), Add to that, we're up to our eyeballs in 'bread and butter' types (Cessna 182s and 208s) there hasn't been any time to get back to it. :P

Same old story, time and money standing in the way of success!

Ill keep you posted of any progress. Fingers crossed!

Denzil

Howdy Holmes,

Sadly work has come to a halt for the time being. The owner is trying to sell his other C 172 to finance this thing, and sofar he hasn't had much luck (know anyone who wants a well run in Cessna 172? :worship: ), Add to that, we're up to our eyeballs in 'bread and butter' types (Cessna 182s and 208s) there hasn't been any time to get back to it. :wub:

Same old story, time and money standing in the way of success!

Ill keep you posted of any progress. Fingers crossed!

Denzil

Denzil,

thank you for the explanation..shame that it came to a halt just as it was getting

exciting not just for you but for US as well..

I do so hope that the customer gets to sell his other C172 to make this one go forward and progress.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you Denzil and your family. :worship: :D

HOLMES :)