A fine for street hockey

I thought it was compulsory in Canada!

Stupid law made by stupid people. Probably just some jumped up petty offical trying to make a name for himself if its been on the books for 10 years and no one has been fined beofre.

I hope more people turn up to future games!

Julien

Sheesh ...

Back when I was kid, we'd play Street Baseball or Football on our culdesac, Cops would patrol by and occasionally stop and play catch with us for a few minutes and then be on their way ... I always thought it was fun when they did that ... :worship:

Gregg

Makes me wonder if the noise "complaint" was made because the game was in English instead of French? :thumbsup:

All kidding aside though, this sounds like a more wholesome activity then anything else a kid could be doing. And what is more Canadian then Hockey anyway?

Sheesh ...

Back when I was kid, we'd play Street Baseball or Football on our culdesac, Cops would patrol by and occasionally stop and play catch with us for a few minutes and then be on their way ... I always thought it was fun when they did that ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Yup....I've had a toss with cops plenty of times. A few times we would be in the park and a couple of officers on foot would be patrolling the park and one would give us the "I'm open" sign for a deep pass.

Shame to see something like this.....playing sports of any kind, be it touch football, stickball, roller hockey in the streets is part of growing up and being a kid.

Funny how they bombard the kids today with messages about "Get out and play" and "Playing leads to a healthy mind and body"....and then when they do go out and play, they get fined for it!

Edited by paul.nortness

Yeah, there is some sort of mixed messages that kids are receiving nowadays, eh Paul ? :thumbsup:

It's also sad how much more safe and innocent the times were when we were growing up ...

Gregg

I thought it was compulsory in Canada!

I hope more people turn up to future games!

Julien

Im going to the next one for sure. We were actually debating about starting a game up downtown today on the main stretch but voted against it. Besides, a few of us were at the pub before, so no sense in breaking windows because your aim is off, lol. Noise complaint is rediculous, people make more noise mowing the lawn, or their darn city workers fixing water mains in the middle of the night. Get the kids off their xboxs' and out running is always good.

:thumbsup:

Edited by pbishop
Back when I was kid, we'd play Street Baseball or Football on our culdesac, Cops would patrol by and occasionally stop and play catch with us for a few minutes and then be on their way ... I always thought it was fun when they did that ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Gregg, No mandate for you to buy whiffle balls and footballs from Walmart yet?

Gregg, No mandate for you to buy whiffle balls and footballs from Walmart yet?

Back then, we didn't have Walmart in Southern California ... Kmart, Target, Zody's and The Treasury for that type of shopping ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

I grew up playing football, a wacked-out version of baseball (we used tennis balls and an aluminum pipe as a bat, streetlight was 1st base, the fire hydrant was 2nd, etc. and come to think of it, we never broke anybody's window), and the occasional soccer game with the neighbor kids who were about my age. We were fairly loud but nobody really gave a crap, and at the time, aside from my family, the neighbor family, and a family that lived a couple houses down from us, our neighborhood was mostly retirees in their 60's and older. When it came to cars, whoever saw one coming up or down the street would yell "CAR!" and we'd all get the hell out of the way. Immediately. No harm, no foul. It was a hell of a lot better than sitting inside doing nothing.

A $75 fine for playing sports in the street is insane...it's not like they were playing on the 101 Freeway or something, and a noise complaint? Really. YGBSM. Was the game taking place at 0200 or something while everybody was sleeping? I doubt it.

FINED?!?! in Canada!!! for playing the national past time in the street!! YGBSM!!!!!........I figured after they won the Olympic gold...if you didn't play Hockey you would be jailed or fined.

I think the bylaw needs to stay because there are always the idiots who abuse something everyone else takes for granted but don't abuse. You know, there will always be someone who feels they have the right play hockey on Lakeshore Blvd, or get 20 people playing until 11:30 at night on a quite little street, etc, etc.

The issue is reasonable application of the law. This is why you generally don't get speeding tickets when you're going 4 mph over the speed limit. Most cops in Canada would just make you break up the game at worst.

I think the bylaw needs to stay because there are always the idiots who abuse something everyone else takes for granted but don't abuse. You know, there will always be someone who feels they have the right play hockey on Lakeshore Blvd, or get 20 people playing until 11:30 at night on a quite little street, etc, etc.

The issue is reasonable application of the law. This is why you generally don't get speeding tickets when you're going 4 mph over the speed limit. Most cops in Canada would just make you break up the game at worst.

I am sure there is some other silly law, that is in place they can use for those that abuse things like, play hockey on Lakeshore Blvd, or get 20 people playing until 11:30 at night on a quite little street.

Sheesh !!!!

Do these street wardens FINE those people who stagger home drunk making a lot of noise!

Tsk!!!

He.....NO ....THEY NEED TO GET A LIFE FROM THE NECK UP !!!! :sunrevolves:

Edited by HOLMES