The Pacific Second episode

so how was the second episode of "The Pacific"?

Frank

The second episode was better, maybe 3.5 or 3.75 stars out of 5. Part of it was the fact that I'm beginning to catch on who the characters actually are and the other part is that there was more focus on the Guadalcanal Campaign. I also have to commend the director's and producers, for I thought the portrayal of combat fatigue was very hard-hitting and realistic. The scene at the end with the remaining members of the platoon in the galley onboard ship was especially notable. I'm looking forward to next Sunday's episode.

See the 'other' Pacific thread for alternate opinions (largely in chorus). Part 2 was only marginally better than #1,which is to say: still boring - still uninformative - still without focus. God only knows what #3 will be like with no lead goin' downrange. But that's my story, and there's only room for improvement for The Pacific. I know I keep harping on the disappointment I feel for it so far, maybe I need to learn to accept the severe lack of character development and just watch the water-cooled .30s mow down the wireline.

Edited by metroman

If you have Comcast On Demand they have a number "shorts" and making of films that add a lot to the understanding and background. They also have short stories about the real-life fellows portrayed in the mini-series. I know a good film should stand on it's own and I suspect that watching the full 10 hours of this will lead to the same sense of knowing and feeling close to these guys that I had with Band of Bros. Another issue that came up was that they didn't really have group of guys who went through all the campaigns together like they had in Band of Bros. and that led to a different way of telling the stories. But I have found that I'm really enjoying this and wish that would do it all in a 2 week spread rather than all spread out.

Ken

and wish that would do it all in a 2 week spread rather than all spread out.

But, then those of us with DirecTV could subscribe for HBO for only that 2 week period, dump it and only pay for one month. HBO wouldn't be able to make any money that way! And yes, that is exactly how we do things here in my house, when Big Love returned we re-subscribed to HBO and we only kept it until now, because I knew The Pacific was coming on. Normally, we would have canceled it after the season finale of BL and resubscribed when Entourage returned.

Edited by madmanrick