Finally got the money to fix up my truck.

But i got some cosmetic questions..

I got a 1984 F-150 truck which i will take to a friends mechanic and body shop to refurbish it:

100_4803.jpg

But i have my doubts about how to paint it, i'm a rocker guy myself, but i don't want anything fancy, also i'm not crazy about the classic two tone F150 scheme, i'd like something a bit different, simple with two tones, but layed in a different way than the

classic one.. maybe with a bit of hotrod feel

In short, i don't want the truck to look as if it was made only to haul, don't know if i make sense here??

Any ideas? maybe a F-150 template that i could paint over to try different schemes?

all help is appreciated.

Cant go wrong with black!!!! Solid black! If you want a two-tone, may I suggest gloss black and flat black? I'm serious with that, no joke. I've seen it done in the sport compact world, looked like sexy meeting stealth. Also you can get black wheels from crager on the cheap, no need to do anything crazy, keep the stock size. It is a truck after all.

You could get rid of the moulding and fill in the holes. Then try out something like this.

Ford Superduty Paint

Or do a two tone gloss black and paint the lower part with rhino lining if you go off roading. Looks amazing too. Make sure you post some pics when you get it all painted up.

Edited by pbishop

Yeah, i like the gloss black/flat black combination with the black wheels, i could get powder coated the ones it has now, but i could also find some nice wheels for it later.

I will have the camper removed because i like how it looks without it.

Any more ideas?

You could remove the trim strip paint it in a flat black with primer colored flames. Then have the wheels, bumpers and any thing else shiney done in a brushed finish. I did something like that on a model hot rod years ago and it looked pretty cool.

Something to keep in mind, but gloss black will show up every minor imperfection and flaw in the bodywork worse than any other colour.

I had a friend that used to do these sorts of restores for a living, and gloss black was one colour he hated. The only time that he would use it was if a customer specifically came and asked for it. He never used it on any rebuild he was looking to sell on himself.

As this is your own project that you plan on keeping, then this might not be an issue for you, but i thought I'd throw it out there. There's a reason why these showcars get 100's if not 1000's of hours of bodywork and prep before getting a super glossy paint job.

Personally, I love black vehicles, and I've always wanted to do one in gloss black with a really subtle satin/flat flame job. Something so subtle that you have to look 2 or 3 times in just the right light before you even see it.

One thought, being a modeler, why not try and find a kit of a similar type of pickup and try a few different paint jobs on that before you do the full sized one ?

Cheers,

Matt

Old truck so go with a old paint scheme.

If your a navy guy gloss gull grey and white.

If your a air force guy go for a nice ADC grey.

Hey, you asked for opinions on a model aircraft site didn't ya? :jaw-dropping: