Revell P-51 not so OOB anymore

So I was at my LHS when I was walking around and I saw this for 10 bucks. So I decided to pick it up and do a straight OOB build with it.

IMG_0663.jpg

I havent built a revell kit since the F-15 with the extreemly dark canopy. I was actually surprised with the instruction because they actual throw in real photos as reference. I did find something a little bizzare though, is this what I can expect on all revell models I buy. Its a quick fix, but very strange IMO.

IMG_0664.jpg

Oh well, when I get started on it, I'll post some progress pics. I dont know much about mustangs, so if their are any flaws that are easily fixed, could you all let me know? If the kit itself needs to be modified then I'll just build it as is. Not going too much for accuracy on this one.

Edited by pbishop

Ok... so looking at the kit, I am actually very pleased with the overall dimensions of the plane. Compared to plans, the shape lines up pretty decently. Although the wheel wells are not deep enough (as all other models) I have decided that I am going to do some minor mods to make it a bit "nicer".

To start I cut all the control surfaces free.

IMG_0667.jpg

looking at the pit, I cut away the plastic floor and glued a piece of wood to plastic to make a new one. (this is because the stupid wood kept splitting). I used epoxy so I wont be able to start cutting until tomorrow. I also was wondering (because I really dont know the p-51 all that well) is that the battery? Need some experts if you are out there :whistle: lol.

IMG_0671.jpg

Anyways, a slow start, but a start. I have to finish this up for today because the wife is on her way back and I'm not supposed to have started anything else till I finish the other ones. Oh well, This will fill the void till I get what I need to finish the other builds. If anyone out there has any reference photos of the cockpit area that would be swell :thumbsup:

More updates soon!

PS. Sorry about the lighting, I dont have a photo booth setup yet and my camera magically dissappeared... so.... well this was the best I can do tonight! Cheers.

Edited by pbishop

Good to see the old Monogram/Revell P-51D, it is still a very good kit.

The part you asked about is not the battery but the dynamotor for the radio.

The battery is located above the fuselage fuel cell just behind the radio.

When your finishing the cockpit floor dont forget to add the 2 gauges that sit on the floor slightly in front of and off to each side of the pilots seat. Those are the fuel gauges for the wing tanks (I'm pretty sure).

The cover for the underside of the nose can be a pain to get to fit right, other than that it's a pretty straight forward build.

That imprinting thing is pretty common with Revell and Monogram kits produced during the past 30 years or so.

They don't do it anymore, but for 60's and 70's molds it's usually there.

The cover for the underside of the nose can be a pain to get to fit right, other than that it's a pretty straight forward build.

From what I've heard, that chin cowl piece fits a lot better on these newer releases, and the gun bay doors are better curved to match the wing.

Other n'that, the only things to really watch are the canopy and the exhaust stacks, just take your time and fit them properly. IIRC the shrouded stacks are pretty straightforward but the unshrouded ones have tabs on them that rest against the inside of the fuselage to set the proper downward tilt. Pay close attention and you'll see exactly how they engineered the tabs to help you get it right. Don't use too much glue on the stacks either, it can distort the surrounding fuselage surfaces (ask me how I know) if tempted like I was to use extra cement to ensure the stacks won't let loose and fall inside in the future. My advice is to use a little less glue on the stacks themselves then cut two lengths of sprue (by trial-and error trimming until perfect) and fish those in with tweezers after the fuselage is together, bridging across from one stack to the other and glueing the sprue to the insides of each stack. One of my worst nightmares is having stacks come loose and falling inside a fuselage forever.

I've yet to open a canopy on the Monogram kit but if you do you'll have to file away the "track" part of the canopy rail (or cut the whole thing off) as slid back it'll sit up like an F-86's canopy. The P-51's canopy rested down onto the fuselage when open. If building it closed, take some time and test-fit the rail and both clear pieces. IIRC I had to file the inner tabs of the rail a bit otherwise the rail was "sucked in" from the fuselage a little. Also, I think I had to back the rail off from the windshield just a hair so that the rear of the bubble canopy matched up with the rear of the canopy rail. On my next one I plan to glue the rail to the fuselage first then attach the clear parts, after careful test-fitting of course.

Here's my "youngest" build of this kit. Besides coming from the time in the production run when the molds were in their worst condition this one was short-shot too, a real putty queen:

Picture037.jpg

These kits have some of the best looking P-51 wheels ever, IMHO, and that includes resin.

A couple more Monograms here if you're interested, click any photos of interest to enlarge:

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/tubeglue/?start=140

(All models in the album are 1/48 unless otherwise noted.)

Maybe others more knowledgeable than I can chime in about cockpit colors, but I'm pretty sure that it should be mostly black in there except for a few items, unless you're modeling a restored one.

Always enjoy seeing this kit being built...

Looking real good so far!

John

pbishop,

Will be watching this build closely. Even though I have a ton of Tamiya Mustangs I wouldn't mind giving the Monogram a try.

Good luck!

John,

I admire your collection. Beautiful builds you have there!

One question, on the P-51D's I see you added the rear view mirrors. Did you scratch build them?

Or are those aftermarket bits?

Again, great builds!

William

Be aware that the wooden floor was not planked, but sheet plywood, covered with a black non-skid finish. The postng above re the two guages is bang on. there is a trough down the middle to accomodate the stick and actuator, extending under the seat. Hal Sr

John,

One question, on the P-51D's I see you added the rear view mirrors. Did you scratch build them?

Or are those aftermarket bits?

William

William,

GGIII's mirror (the Monogram 1/48 pictured above) is made from two pieces of thin styrene.

My son cut and filed his GGIII's mirror from a piece of brass sheet stock, Hasegawa 1/72:

Picture116-1.jpg

Old Crow's mirror shaped from clear sprue then polished and attached, Testors (Hawk) 1/48:

PictureP51-139.jpg

These plastic mirrors came with the kit, but I drilled indentions into the mirrors and into the windshield framing ahead of the mirrors then added wire faired in with white glue to create the angled look of the real Ridge Runner III's mirror brackets, Fujimi 1/48:

Picture281.jpg

Thanks, William.

John

Edited by John Krukowski

Thank you very much guys for the tips. Im not decided yet if I am going to do the wartime or restored version of this A/C yet. Progress has been almost non existent this week because of work. Im running on about 10 hours of sleep for 3 days now, so hopefully we will get some rest and continue a bit of work on this sucker tomorrow.

You guys are giving me tons of great ideas for this build! Keep em' comming, and thank you again. :jaw-dropping:

Progress updates very very soon! hopefully.

B-17 guy - Hopefully I can cut away and make the gauges this week

John - Thanks for the cockpit tip, Im hoping to make this one open and that is something I hadnt considered yet.

The floor I am using wood to start off with because I wasnt sure yet which model I was going to do yet. If its the refurbished, the floor is planked or plywood not painted I believe. Also, if I am doing the war time one it still gives me a good base to start with.

Also, on top of the fuel cell, does anyone have any good ref pics out there? Might have to scratch build some stuff to put on top, just not sure what as I lack the information for that part.

Edited by pbishop
B-17 guy - Hopefully I can cut away and make the gauges this week

John - Thanks for the cockpit tip, Im hoping to make this one open and that is something I hadnt considered yet.

Easy!, drill a hole for each, glue a small piece flat black painted plastic under each hole, done! If you wanna go the extra mile, add some little white tick marks to each "guage" to look like a fuel gauge. Afterwards, add a drop of future to each on e to replicate the guage lenses.

And sorry, but good luck finding good refference pics of the radio in the mustang, I cant find anything useful on the web. Hopefully someone here has something.

I'm not much of a cockpit modeler so I'll leave that stuff to the experts.

So, you're doing "Big Beautiful Doll" with the kit decals? If so, here's a picture I snapped of the restoration at Oshkosh last year:

Oshkosh09068.jpg

More Oshkosh stuff here, click any pictures of interest to enlarge:

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/tubeglue/?start=180

And, in case anyone's not heard a Mustang running up close, here's by far the best you-tube-video representation I've heard yet...the whole thing is good, but the beginning (start-up and takeoff) are especially worth watching and listening to as this presentation really captures the sound (and feel if you crank it loud enough...use headphones if you got 'em!) of the Packard-built Merlin stuffed into a Mustang...I've seen better film but I've not heard better sound.

Click to full screen, crank the noise, and enjoy:

John

I am lucky enough to be just over the hill bout 20 miles away from Stallion51 and their bee-utiful stangs! Always got to thank my best bud out there Greg Wise for letting me see the babies start and give me personal walkarounds when I need it. (Doesn't do any good, cause I still dont know enough bout em.:))!!)

-Jim

Love the classic monogram kits....

I am lucky enough to be just over the hill bout 20 miles away from Stallion51 and their bee-utiful stangs! Always got to thank my best bud out there Greg Wise for letting me see the babies start and give me personal walkarounds when I need it. (Doesn't do any good, cause I still dont know enough bout em.:wave:)!!)

-Jim

Love the classic monogram kits....

Dude could you please continue to kill me with being so close to "Stallion 51"........... :wacko:

Brock

That imprinting thing is pretty common with Revell and Monogram kits produced during the past 30 years or so.

The especially sad part about it is that it says "China" under the date vs. "USA".

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a while since I could do any work on my models and the way its going it may still be another week till I can get anything else done. Oh well, at least I made some progress this morning.

I managed to work a bit on the floor. I cut away the piece in the center and made the cavity. Also tried to add the little metal piece around the opening nearest the seat. It still needs some work, but for that I need time which I ran out of today. I finally decided to do the actual aircraft that served in combat. It probably wont be 100% due to lack of documentation on the actual bird, but the floor will finally go black.

100_0038.jpg

I also tried some dry fitting to see what the possibilities are. I used the pedals i cut away from the floor, however, I might be changing them, all depends on wether or not we will really see them. Decisions, decisions! Anyways, next time I will hopefully get the two gauges in the floor and start a major overhaul of the two sides of the cockpit. Thanks to army_air_force who came through with some pics I am going to be sanding down all the detail and rebuilding. Thanks again!

Here are some dry fits to see where I might be going with this..... :boohoo:

100_0042.jpg

100_0046.jpg

Edited by pbishop