I use 34089 to start with. Depending on your weathering habits it won't really matter in the end.

34087 is typical used for US Marine helos. Again depending on weathering and what not you could use 34087.

Edited by Tank

I think His Grace, Steven Zaloga, the Count of Armor, suggested that Model Masters' Olive Drab (not the ANA stuff, but the original) is okay in scale, but very 'vivid.' Tamiya's Acrylic Olive Drab is good, but a bit dark; he adds their Dark Yellow for the basic color (adjusted for highlights, shadows, pre- and post-shading, and so forth). Surveying the color photography from the war, I think U.S. vehicles varied by batch, age, and so on. But for what little it's worth, I tend to agree with Zaloga on the average color, and use his formulas myself. If painting acrylic, I use the Tamiya mix. If painting enamel (and in answer to your question), I use MM olive drab (34087) with perhaps a few drops of the ANA stuff/faded ANA stuff to dull and darken it a tad.

Edited by Fishwelding
  • 2 weeks later...
Wasn't a lot of 'olive drab' mixed in the field by combining yellow and black paint?

Cheers,

Andre

That is acctually the basis for Olive Drab, yellow and black. If you use red instead of yellow you get a more brown OD colour. There was an article in Military Modelling about 8-15 years ago, i think, about OD colour mixes. I think the article might have been made by Steven Zaloga.

Edited by TuveB