Realizing that I would never get the B-36 done on time, I came to the conclusion that I needed another entry.

Rescribing that monster in the time allowed is just not possible for me. Therefore, I will be building the B-52H

from AMT. I started on it a few days ago and already have the fuselage together. I will have some pics up shortly.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

It's going to be as out of box as it can get. I might put the missiles on it. decals will be the kit ones. I think they depict a

B-52 from the early 90's.

First up, the wing box. I modified it to have the drooped wing look. Modified is on the left and the stock is on the right.

I made two cuts where it angles back and held it over a flame to let it sag a little. I then bent it to make it droop down.

I reinforced the cuts with plastic card.

025-2.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Buff Master Design wing box and the kit piece. The BMD piece is on the top.

006-2.jpg

This was the first attempt....

020-3.jpg

I opened the cooling scoop on the tail.

019-3.jpg

This seam took forever to eliminate. You can still see it if you look hard enough.

016-4.jpg

As with my B-36 build, I didn't spend too much time with the cockpit.

015-5.jpg

Tail planes assembled.

010-3.jpg

Engines assembled.

005-1.jpg

One of the wings glued.

008-2.jpg

I started painting some of the wheel and outrigger wells. I'm not aiming for accuracy, so I just mixed a little green with yellow and painted it.

009-3.jpg

I also eliminated those wierd patches on the vertical tail.

012-1.jpg

The tail cannon is on. It took me a while to get this all smoothed out.

011.jpg

One of the pods primered to check for seems.

023-2.jpg

Fuel tanks glued together.

021-3.jpg

And finally, a shot of these thingies.

002.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to join the wings, so I might not update for a couple of days.

Cheers,

RYAN.

Thanks! I made some more progress tonight. I achieved a milestone when I attached the wings. These were a royal pain in the rear to attach to the fuselage. It took a lot of superglue and a lot more swearing. Here's the result:

062.jpg

067.jpg

058.jpg

053-1.jpg

I forsee lots of putty in the near future.

063.jpg

069.jpg

I also masked and attached the canopy.

051.jpg

066.jpg

RYAN.

Ryan, your progress makes me feel very sluggish; you've got the fuselage closed up and the wings attached in only a couple of weeks, and after 3 months I'm still not ready to close the fuselage on my G.

Looking good!

Jonah

The BUFF now has power! I built up the pylons and attached them to the engines. They are dryfittd to check for alignment

problems.

003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

I also glued the EVS pods to the fuselage. These didn't fit worth a damn, so more filler and plastic card to fill the gaps.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

So, this is it for today. It's getting close to paint. Maybe I'll actually finish this one on time!

RYAN.

Might be too late now, but I found that if you bevel the inboard sides of the EVS pods, you'll get a much better fit.

I think those blades molded above the EVS are supposed to represent the pitot tubes...I cut them off of my kit.

Jonah

you got guts my friend. i have a few of these big B's in my stash but i lack the courage to start them . just the box is huge and by the look of it your plane is bigger. brrrrr... got chills down my spine ; how am i gonna finish it? where am i gonna put it ? what will my wife say ? and my friends? .... questions, questions.....

good luck

chris

Might be too late now, but I found that if you bevel the inboard sides of the EVS pods, you'll get a much better fit.

I think those blades molded above the EVS are supposed to represent the pitot tubes...I cut them off of my kit.

Jonah

I did. It only made things worse. Good idea on the blades. I'm not aiming for accuracy on this one. The next three will be, though.

RYAN.

It now has some paint on it. I shot some Gunship Gray on the main surfaces. This was also the first time I used my airbrush.

Pics to come in a day or two.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

Ryan-

First time with an airbrush period, or first time with a new one? You made a good choice to go with a solid scheme either way.

If you're new to airbrushing, you'll never regret starting it. Some of my most rewarding modeling experiences were with my Paashe H, thought nothing beats good decals.

Best of luck either way! I look forward to seeing your completed model.

First time with a new one. I have an Iwata Revolution CR and love it. The paint came out a little rough, but I'll buff that out later. Well, once again, I got called back to work. I'll be working throughout the week, so not a lot of progress will be made. I promise to have some new pics up in a few days.

RYAN.

Some new pics as promised. They aren't the best pics, but you have a good idea of the color used.

016-5.jpg

018-5.jpg

019-4.jpg

017-5.jpg

016-5.jpg

I still have some sanding to do and I still have to fix the EVS pods. Other than that, I should have it all painted within the next week or two.

RYAN.

BTW, we have a little less than three months left. Just a friendly reminder.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Ryan, nice to see some of your work again! Very nice looking BUFF you got going there. Nice to know this kit has some issues. Been wanting to build this plane, and now I know it will be lots of work. If it werent than where would the fun be right? Cant wait to see more.

Thanks! It's been a pain in the butt, and I almost threw it into a wall, but I calmed down and put it away for a few days.

I'm working on my Peterbilt 359 right now, so it might be a few days before I can work on it again.

RYAN.