I don't have ready access to any MH-47E airframes so I am asking if any of you could help me out. I need to know the fore/aft and lateral spread of the landing gear on this helicopter. Any help by actual measure or direction to specifications that state this info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris M

aka Chief Snake

Chris,

All I could find was the dimentions called out in the -10 operators manual on the D model. If I remember correctly the gear are all in the same place from model to model just the struts and strut pressures were beefed up. TM 1-1520-240-10 calls it 22 ft 6in fore and aft on hub center and 11ft 11in left to right measured from the outside tires. Hope it helps.

Mike

Chris,

All I could find was the dimentions called out in the -10 operators manual on the D model. If I remember correctly the gear are all in the same place from model to model just the struts and strut pressures were beefed up. TM 1-1520-240-10 calls it 22 ft 6in fore and aft on hub center and 11ft 11in left to right measured from the outside tires. Hope it helps.

Mike

Well, that's a start. Thanks. Viewing photos of the MH series it looks solidly like the front strut has been moved forward. Using the first round window on each side as a starting point it looks to me like the D has the strut just behind the window and the MH's have it forward of the window near the front end of the sponson. Anyone else see it this way?

Chris M

aka Chief Snake

D model:

Station_and_Water_Lines_Large.jpg

E/G:

mh47092jk9.jpg

Definitly more to the front. This feature comes in one packege with enlarged fuel tanks

Andy

Andy,

This is exactly what I am seeing. Now if someone is able to supply the for-aft span measurements I can move on with my project.

Thanks

Chris M

May I ask if it is a 1/48 MH-47? :-)

Andy

Andy,

I'm using the Italeri 1/48 kit.

Chris M

ps- I had not forgotten about your project so I'm not even considering going that way!!

Edited by Chief Snake

Thanks Chris :-)

When I was building my fuel tanks in 1/35 and had to position the inlet of the struts - I used a frame rivet line fwd of front window... It would be logical to position the support point on the frame line, right? Of course the real numbers are always better, but they are not always available.

Cheers!

Andy

Thanks Chris :-)

When I was building my fuel tanks in 1/35 and had to position the inlet of the struts - I used a frame rivet line fwd of front window... It would be logical to position the support point on the frame line, right? Of course the real numbers are always better, but they are not always available.

Cheers!

Andy

Andy,

The pieces I'm splicing into the fuselage sides have the gear strut opening in them. That opening lines up very closely with the frame rivet line already in place on the fuselage halves. For eyeball sake that's good, but I have the thought that I'd like the true span measurement to use off of the rear strut location. If that comes very close to the existing opening then I'm going with it.

Chris M

Chris,

Mike

Found it. Cobra historian gave me the MH-47 -10 and it has the dimension as 25 feet, 10 inches. Good to go!

Chris M