Is there a certain method to painting vinyl tires with acrylics? I slapped some paint on with a brush and when I tried to put the tire onto the rim,the paint flaked off. Did I not let the paint dry long enough (it was only an hour or so) or does some kind of prep work need to be done? TIA!!!

My opinion is that you cant make it stick, ever, especially if you have to stretch them to fit them to the hub. I would get resin wheels (if available) and be done with it. Or, try to paint them already on the hub so to not stretch the vinyl. What are you working on fort?

I would say stretch them onto the rim before you paint them. Only thing that might help would be to perhaps clearcoat the tire with flat first before painting them, but I'm not entirely sure which flat will do the job (perhaps a lacquer). Scuffing the painted surface could also help as it provides more surface area for the paint to potentially lock in with.

If you are trying to put white letters on them, you could always use liquid paper, which does have a little flex built in.

I paint vinyl tires on model cars all the time, though it's probably a harder type of rubber than you find in a/c or armor kits. Certain types of acrylic paint are formulated to "flex" sufficiently with softer surfaces; Polly Scale is (was?) excellent in this regard, so was Accu-Flex (remember that brand? Thought not). An observation (and perhaps our resident paint maven, Triarus can confirm or correct me on this); paints with alcohol-based carriers (Tamiya, Gunze) seem to have far less "flex" to them than other types.

cheers

Old Blind Dog