Trumpeter SU24 in 1/48

Shark: if you want to know about the kit, you can use the Search function as the kit and its accuracy has been discussed many time. Try typing "Fencer".

Oh God !!! Here come all the bravo sierra about how bad this kit is........

Nope. The "it looks like a" camp has done a preemptive strike :thumbsup:

.........this has been out and discussed ad nauseam......

I apologize for not reading your posts every day.

it's fan bois like you who keep me away from ARC now adays.

sorry i bothered the rivet counters, i tend to do that a lot.

Shark

I apologize for not reading your posts every day.

it's fan bois like you who keep me away from ARC now adays.

sorry i bothered the rivet counters, i tend to do that a lot.

Shark

Hi Shark,

Sadly the very first reply to your post derailed this thread and so spoiled the mood that you didn't get valid replies (except Laurent suggesting you search rather than ask).

Don't be angry about the reply chastising you for not reading every post every day. I believe this was meant as a joke and was actually meant as sarcasm directed at the first reply.

It's unfortunate that some people won't allow models to be discussed (on a model discussion forum!).

What next? Attacking in-progress builds where the builder is correcting or detailing a kit because he wasn't satisfied with what was in the box?

Regarding the kit (briefly summarizing results of previous discussions):

It is very expensive with an MSRP of $150, but can be found cheaper.

It is a very impressive kit with lots of parts, lots of weapons and crisp, detailed molding (and a nice box!).

The kit does have some major problems with accuracy of shape as well as some minor errors.

Some of the bigger errors:

Undersized exhausts which are too far apart. Rear fuselage doesn't taper enough.

The spine/fuselage proportions are wrong making the spine too shallow. The spine is also curved too much instead of almost flat and it fades out too soon at the rear.

The forward fuselage is too round in profile, especially at the nosecone intersection.

The round fwd fuselage section causes the windscreen to be wrong, making the windscreen intersection curve up (towards the front) rather than curve down.

Other errors include:

The nose not drooping.

The vertical stab is a little too big and the kink in its' leading edge is located too low.

I'm sure there are other smaller errors but they don't impact the overall look of the model.

Here are some links to pictures of the kit:

http://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_v...ndex.php?Page=3

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=202231

Here are a few of the discussions about the accuracy issues:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=205879

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=203112

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=196276

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....94101&st=40

Like I said above, it's an expensive, impressive kit but has some problems.

:worship:

Excellent post Zacto! And very succinct as well, your talents are myriad.

:rofl:

(and no this isn't sarcasm or hyperbole, but sincerely meant in its' entirety)

(although I am still mad that you don't do 48th)

(but, I'll recover, at least that's what my therapist would say if I had one!)

Excellent post Zacto! And very succinct as well, your talents are myriad.

:D

(and no this isn't sarcasm or hyperbole, but sincerely meant in its' entirety)

(although I am still mad that you don't do 48th)

(but, I'll recover, at least that's what my therapist would say if I had one!)

YES, I mean it too!

i really appreciate your interventions, Chris. :thumbsup:

So here's where I kind of understand both sides. I see where Zacto is pointing out problems between the real Su-24 and the Trumpy kit, and I understand that. I also understand the concept "well why can't they just make it right the first time?". This is certainly something that has come up again and again about Trumpeter kits - more near misses than hits. So don't take this the wrong way, but as a casual modeler, that kit looks really cool built up. Honestly, I would buy one, and quite possible build it. And I absolutely understand Shark's frustration with ARC. I love this forum, but it seems to be clogged with rivet counters who spend more time flaming kits than building them (present company excluded). While I appreciate the time that said counters put into comparison research, I would really like to see more build-ups with corrections shown than all of the "if you measure the fuselage, the access panel behind the canopy is .006" too far forward so this kit is garbage" nonsense. Again, no offense to Zacto because he builds and builds well, but geez, enough. Trumpeter can't get one kit out the door that is correct - I get it. Sorry for the rant. Back to modeling.

http://www.trashmodeller.com/index.php?topic=1130.0

An interesting perspective on 'assisting' model companies by some of those who have gone on before us (MoFo....)

As for the Fencer I am wanting to see what one looks like built up. Like the Hobbyboss Tornado I can see the 'problems' that are mentioned, however once it is in the hands of the modeller his skill - or lack thereof (me) makes the differance.

On Britmodeller there has been a build and correction thread by Jon Kunac-Tabinor http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41559 of the Hobbyboss Tornado - but the bad thing is except for the canopy all of the subtle work on the nose and other outline problems is lost on me. I love the Tornado but I don't know the airframe that well to take a look at something and say catagorically - that is wrong (or right for that matter). The canopy I see as the framing looks off, as it is something I am used to looking at. the Fencer is another example - I know what one looks like but prior to the debate would I really know what the exhausts look like, or the spine...no.

There are those who have the gift of being able to look at shapes and easily tell if something is right - or wrong. Zacto is one of those, and I respect his views, but ( and there is always a but...) for myself shape problems are not the determining factor in if I want to puchase and build a kit. I like to hear about how the kit goes together, I have been burned trying to build certain companies limited run kits too often, and the options included in the kit. When I see one built up I can get a better idea of what is important to me. Sometimes a 'flaw' leaps out at me, such as the undersized ejector seat in the Academy Hawker Hunter which I can do something about (resin seat). Sometimes the flaws dont such as the nose on Trumpeters Flaggon kit - so I'll ignore them and just have fun with the build. I think whenever I get the money to buy a Fencer I think it'll fall into the second catagory. I'll know some of the errors but as nobody will ever see my build I will build it and have an impressive looking build somewhere in my toyroom.

It is all up to you the specific modeller, on what approach to a subject will work for you, out of the box or massive correction build. There are both types of modellers and even a modeller can use both approaches in his builds. It is up to you to determine which approach to a kit you want to use.

Matt

<...> And I absolutely understand Shark's frustration with ARC. I love this forum, but it seems to be clogged with rivet counters who spend more time flaming kits than building them (present company excluded). <...>

And for every rivet counter, there seems to be a member of the "just build it", "it looks like"crowd. One group discusses models (as is the purpose of a model discussion board), the other discusses the attitude of the other group. Which do you find more frustrating?

<...> Again, no offense to Zacto because he builds and builds well, but geez, enough. Trumpeter can't get one kit out the door that is correct - I get it. <...>

No, not enough. You said Trumpeter can't get one kit out the door that is correct and that you get it. Yes, but does that mean that you have to accept it for all times? In case of the Su-25, song even asked for feedback.

Hobby Boss showed CAD drawings of their 1/72 Rafales. These CAD drawings did not have the chaff and flare launchers on the rear fuselage of the production aircraft. Their 1/48 Rafales did not have these launchers either. Some criticism in modelling boards by the rivet counters ensued. And - hey, presto - Hobby Boss modifies the CAD data (relatively cheap) and now we have a Rafale with the appropriate chaff and flare launchers. Because the rivet counters made a racket even before the moulds were cut. Does anybody think they would have modified the steel moulds after the first production run, which would have been much more expensive? No way.

Geez, why do we have to have this same fight again, and on the same kit? Wasn't it enough in the other thread? I think this thread needs to be closed. Zacto answered the question and the other thread has been referred to. I don't see any place for this thread to go that the other one hasn't already been.