Moscow under terrorist attack

This will not end well.

Agree with previous posters, I am sure that we all extend our condolences to the victims. But...Yup. The Russians are already vowing to "avenge" this attack. If I were the Georgians, I might be (more than) a little nervous. Anyone remember "Red Storm Rising"?

Edited by Vpanoptes
If I were the Georgians, I might be (more than) a little nervous.

Know your geography (and some history) :

Georgia is not Chechnya. Chechnya has had a very long rough history with Russia, and this dates back to pre-Soviet times...That said, to avoid the political bomb, look into it yourself if you want more.

RIP

Know your geography (and some history) :

Georgia is not Chechnya. Chechnya has had a very long rough history with Russia, and this dates back to pre-Soviet times...That said, to avoid the political bomb, look into it yourself if you want more.

RIP

Thank you sir, I am aware of the geography and ("some history") the difference between Georgia and Chechnya, as well as aspects of their relationships with Mother Russia. I am also aware of the history of Russian/Soviet military "adventurism"/intervention (for lack of a better term) and some of the purported and actual reasons for same. Perhaps if I modified my previous statement to the effect that Chechnyans/Georgians/Tajiks/Uzbheks, etc. might be nervous it would be more accurate. However, as this discussion seems to be devolving into the arena of the dreaded P word, perhaps it is better to stop at this point. FYI, from today's NY Times :

The authorities offered no new information on Tuesday on the search for the organizers of the attacks, which were set off by two female suicide bombers, but they said they continued to suspect Muslim extremists in the Caucasus region of southern Russia, which includes Chechnya.

The attacks have confronted Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin with a grave challenge to his record of curbing terrorism, and raised the possibility that he would respond as he has in the past, by significantly tightening control over the government.

Unquote

Make of it what you will.

Edited by Vpanoptes

Utterly horrible! :thumbsup:

I hope they'll get the people behind this.

<...> as this discussion seems to be devolving into the arena of the dreaded P word, perhaps it is better to stop at this point. <...>

If you feel this devolves into the P area, why post it at all?

Edited by ChernayaAkula
* * * * * * *(Being politically correct to avoid getting opinion dropped)

IBTL & IBTD

Prayers and condolences to those folks in Moscow.

I'm afraid that it's bringing politics into a discussion group explicity marked as 'NO POLITICS' is what will get your post dropped, rather than adhering to some sort of 'political correctness'.

Condolences to all those affected by this.

Vince

I'm afraid that it's bringing politics into a discussion group explicity marked as 'NO POLITICS' is what will get your post dropped, rather than adhering to some sort of 'political correctness'.

Condolences to all those affected by this.

Vince

That's just it. I didn't bring up politics. I said terrorism is a world problem. Terrorism is murder, a crime, not politics. How does me saying that terrorists should be pushing up daisies political? Murderers are hunted down, tried, convicted, judged, and excuted or locked in jail. So, how is it political to say the same about terrorists? Plus, I paid my respects and only responded to what Alexander stated above. No politics were injected. Just tired of the innocent folks getting killed and the suffering of their loved ones in dealing with this, no matter who they are, or where they are. It affects us all. Now, show me where the politics is in this?

So, that's why the (*). It offends no one, I'm assuming, and is "politically correct" for ARC.

Yes, very good, you've made your point. Thank you.

It's the thin edge of the wedge that gets the political posturing going in threads like this. I would like to think we can all refrain from starting things up that will lead to angry rebuttals and the inevitable mudslinging.

Al

Yes, very good, you've made your point. Thank you.

It's the thin edge of the wedge that gets the political posturing going in threads like this. I would like to think we can all refrain from starting things up that will lead to angry rebuttals and the inevitable mudslinging.

Al

Thank you for acknowledgement and an answer. I didn't post this as a troll or some smart alleck. This was in no way meant to spark a fight in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for leaving the post.