1/72 Lockheed C-140 Jetstar

I hope no one here will mind me intruding to remind everyone that just in case they got inspired by this build, I have one of the Airmodel vacuform JetStars on offer in my sale post in the Buy & Sell section.

[/inappropriate intrusion]

In other news, a hearty "good job" to VADM on what looks like an *extremely* challenging kit.

In other news, a hearty "good job" to VADM on what looks like an *extremely* challenging kit.

Thanks, Antonov!

It is "challenging". I'm having fun with it though. Today, the C-32 kit arrived and I was looking for the "United States Of America" decals to go over the windows. They are just a tad too large but I noticed the font isn't that unusual. Don't know the name of it (Jennings probably does) but it's pretty common. Roman something? And, it's solid black so printing it on an ink-jet would probably work just fine, maybe two layers though that can get frustrating when trying to line them up.

My current task on the model is the windscreen replacement and I'm pondering a method. I don't like the softness of the Bondo, so, I will probably use epoxy putty instead. It's harder, not too hard to carve though it works slower because of it. I was thinking about placing evergreen pieces where the frames for the windows are so I can be assured that I have flat panes. Only the very front windscreen is curved.

Artworks, right click on the drawings and save them to your hard drive. Then, scale them as necessary from your printer. Takes a little trial and error but I think that's why AIM9 posted them.

Cheers!

Fang

Takes a little trial and error but I think that's why AIM9 posted them.

Quite right!

Well now. It's been a few days without posting and your loyal audience is growing restless! How goes it? When will Fangschleister Heavy Industries' "JetStar Parts for Discerning Modelers" parts be stocklisted at Spruebrothers? Enquiring minds want to know!

:woot.gif:

Hi guys,

I sent a prototype tailcone to Jennings. I will let him critique it. I don't think it's stupendous but for my purposes, it's fine. I am, however going to make another casting as the original mold cured in an oblong way and I cannot exactly duplicate that while the resin is curing so they come out a little odd.

I also have to work on the cockpit area to get a better windscreen setup and since MAY is here it's officially Summer in SC. I've been doing outdoor activities and pretty soon my yard will be filled with sailboats (I restore them) and that will take most of my off time. However, I will try to get the cockpit area done before that happens.

It may be this winter.

I will let the faithful know though and thanks veyr kindly for your inquiries. Those who want a prototype tailcone, send me a PM.

Fang

Thanks, Antonov!

It is "challenging". I'm having fun with it though. Today, the C-32 kit arrived and I was looking for the "United States Of America" decals to go over the windows. They are just a tad too large but I noticed the font isn't that unusual. Don't know the name of it (Jennings probably does) but it's pretty common. Roman something? And, it's solid black so printing it on an ink-jet would probably work just fine, maybe two layers though that can get frustrating when trying to line them up.

Fang

The font for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA on the special mission aircraft is Caslon. I've used Caslon 3 which is very close, however, I've had to manipulate the letters in Corel Draw get them to match exactly.

Here you can see my next challenge. The Jetstar's nose is difficult to capture. Obviously, Anigrand didn't' quite get it as you can see with the comparison of the resin with the diagram.

JetstarModel118a.jpg

But even worse than that, when comparing to Jennings' photo from the side, at least at first glance (I have other photos to compare) it's just not right. From where the windscreens meet the radome to other issues.

JetstarModel118aOutlineProblemsDots.jpg

The orange dots are the resin, the yellow dots are the the actual bird photo, except the resin matches the drawing for where the nose ends, whereas the photo is longer which may be the result of wide-angle lensing. I will have to look further.

But, I want to correct the nose as best I can.

Here's another look

JetstarNose.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

This is step one in how I decided to rectify the problem. I took a strip of Evergreen, superglued it to the top of the original cockpit edge, then used Bondo auto putty to create a new profile. It cures quickly and I was worried that it would flake off of the resin, so I used rough grit paper on the resin area to help give it some bite.

After it cured, I worked the profile down to match the drawing, even if the drawing isn't 100% accurate, it's the best I have to work with, given many other considerations such as how complex will I want to make the mold for the windows, should I extend it out, etc.

And this is a photo of step one.

JetstarModel119a.jpg

The Red line is the current path the Evergreen strip is taking and the blue line is the ideal path.

JetstarModel120aLines.jpg

From the other side:

JetstarModel124a.jpg

I will shave the top of this new buildup to meet with the bottom of the clear cockpit windows. The way the kit was molded, the line along the bottom of the windows actually would sink as it went toward the center of the fuselage. Here, I can fix that and make it a constant line all the way around. The windows ahead of the far left and right are much smaller and were designed to be opened. But, all are flat panels except the very center window. I will carve a mold for the whole thing and stress mold or vac-form a clear replacement.

The other frustration is the location of the door. The kit has the outline in the wrong location, with the wrong dimensions and unfortunately, the cockpit bulkhead interferes with where the door actually needs to be. Now, I've already opened this door up and, as you can see, made corrections...and corrections to the corrections...but...what I may do is carve out the rear cockpit wall and relocate it with styrene and then re-do the door. It's only a foot away from the top of the aft cockpit window...not the 2.5 feet it looks like on the kit. I just hate the idea of re-doing it but...should've re-checked the photos before I drilled it out. My mistake.

Thanks for looking.

Fang,

Having read through your thread I find that you are extremely patient and with all the ill fitting parts etc .

you have still managed to make the Model look like it should.

Bravo Sir,

Liked what you did so far.

HOLMES :D :D

Thanks, HOLMES.

Although I had hoped it would be a more accurate rendition, AMS has certainly taken over and there are just some things I want to have right. I could've built it OOB but then regretted having spent the money and finished a kit that was so...well.....wrong.

However, as I said before, it's a much better starting point than the old vac kit. I am grateful for Bondo, as well as other fillers/putties, etc. Plus, this kit is a labor of some intense personal feelings and that's the motivation for trying to keep it right.

I'm sure it'll be some time before I'll even get a coat of paint on it, let alone finish the shape errors. The wing fillets are wrong, as in, there are none in the kit and the real bird has some pretty well-pronounced ones. The fairing on the vert stab that's supposed to be round and is flat on the kit....and other things.

But, it's all good and it's a lot of fun. Hope it stays that way. I am still planning on a 1/48 rendition some day. That's about 14.5 inches long! :-)

Fang

Working the "ridge".

This is the base upon which the bottom of the clear vac part will be glued to. So it's important to have it correct.

The only thing about the fine putty is the long curing time. but it sands and files better for the "faceting" I have to do to get the basis for the flat panels.

JetstarModel126a.jpg

I used the drawing as a template to see where the actual bottom of the vac part would fit then honed the ridge down to that size. Each window panel will have its own facet, so it's necessary to make sure they line up correctly.

JetstarModel133a.jpg

Here's the same photo with a rough approximation of where the flat window panels go so you can see why I want to get the area that mates up with the radome just right.

JetstarModel133aWindowPanels.jpg

After comparing with photos more, I noticed that the top of the radome where it meets the windscreens is essentially flat. So I had to add more Bondo and have a small sanding fest. This is really something for an area that's not much bigger than an inch square

JetstarModel137a.jpg

JetstarModel139a.jpg

Thanks for looking....it's quite the project.

You go man!

Re Anigrand: Stick it to me once, shame on you. Stick it to me twice, shame on me. I shoulda known better after the disaster area he called an XR-12 Rainbow. As God is my witness, I will NEVER, EVER again buy an Anigrand kit. Y'all hold me to that, will ya?

J

PS: There are two words I never use: "never" and "always"

Fang,

I always ask myself why we modelers look for difficult kits to build, but the answer is in the name: we are modelers.

You are doing something great.

You don't know how many times I have pulled out my old Airmodel Jetstar, forgetting every time how bad it is and than stored again.

Keep it up.

Euge

Fang,

I always ask myself why we modelers look for difficult kits to build, but the answer is in the name: we are modelers.

You are doing something great.

You don't know how many times I have pulled out my old Airmodel Jetstar, forgetting every time how bad it is and than stored again.

Keep it up.

Euge

Thanks Euge!

I too have the Airmodel kit and though it vaguely resembles the Jetstar, I found it to be a very bad starting point as well as not wanting to put forth any effort to fix/change any of it.

Then, before Anigrand did theirs, I was going to scratchbuild one. Had photos and measurements....and had even gotten started.

Then the Anigrand kit came out and the fixes and changes are within my capabilities, so I am pursuing that avenue. Hopefully, it won't take a century and a half. But like others, I notice this little thing then that not-so-little thing, etc. Eventually, the kit will be only a few of the original parts from the original and I'll have gone totally bonkers on it. Hard to avoid at this point but the reason I'm doing it is because ever since I was a kid and my dad flew these for a living, I've always wanted a kit of it. This is as good as it'll get, I'm sure. Hasegawa nor Tamiya nor Trumpeter or Revellogram has any plans to mold anything like this and Minicraft's 1/48 G-III is stillborn.

Shame, that.

But, after this 1/72 Jetstar is done, I will plot and see if I can do a 1/48 version. Might be a task and then some.

Cheers

Fang

• 3 months later...

Watch this space....as it is football season, I will be hunkered down working on the Jetstar once again. Perhaps even this Sunday. It has been a long, hot summer and now it's time to get back to this and make some headway.

The tailcones all came out about 1% shrunk. I had no idea that that happens when casting things. Someone politely clued me in on that. But, I'm not making another one. At least, not at this point. I can make the one I cast work. It's really not a big deal...a little faring in with putty and it should blend nicely.

The big chore is the cockpit window area. I have been pondering how to put the windows in and I have pretty much decided that they will be framed out, then clear flat pieces of clear plastic will be the solution. I have some really neat plastic that has a "sheen" to it when you look at it from different angles. The same effect you see in the heated windows of airliners, etc. Should prove most interesting.

Also will see about relocating the main door....it's still too far aft. However, it may have to stay since the forward bulkhead is right there. Hard to notice the mis-location unless you're looking for it. But a door will be made...which will mostly hide in its stowage cubby and the ladder will be scratch-built as well.

I'm still enthused about this project and want to get back at it. Will be a real gem when finished. Although I'm torn as to what to paint it. My dad flew them for a couple different companies but the VC-140 paintjob is very nice too...with that polished aluminum belly. Hmmmm. I have another kit...I can always do another.

So watch this space.

• 6 years later...

No.

Back in 2010 I was going through health issues, work issues and other things. I also had (and still have) a stable of full-scale sailboats that keep me occupied.

I put it away and there it remains. I have moved to my own home (one of the issues I mentioned---a witch of a landlady who didn't understand the law nor home-repair requirements) and it has, among other things, a room that will be dedicated to the hobby of building little gems of plastic for display. However, I'm 55 and it may have to wait until I fully retire though I may become deceased before that occurs.

I have therefore become a kit collector by default. Some really nifty things that have come down the pike while I have suspended my building. Some who know me have heard my fantasies about making a C-140 in 1/48 scale. I recently visited Atlantic Models in Miami and bought two resin Gulfstream II "blanks" that a customer no longer wanted. They have some minor shape issues but they are ~1/50 scale which is close enough to 1/48 for me. But the owner and I discussed the challenge of making a 1/48 L-1329 Jetstar. He was intrigued.

A slew of 1/48 bizjets might be nice though not real "mainstream" market stuff. Kind of an off-the-beaten-path kind of subject.

Minicraft reneged on making their 1/48 Gulfstream III which would've been a fairly large model.

But I ramble----The 1/72 Anigrand THING is put away and in a box with other stuff that was packed when I moved and I may find it again someday and maybe choke-hold it and take it down with extreme prejudice but not right now. Sorry. Six years ago...I know. It is still in the same stage of completion as the last post. That's where I stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job reshaping the nose. A big suggestion... the filler you're using has a high risk of shrinking-especially due to the thickness and build-up you had to apply. I HIGHLY recommend using Apoxie Sculpt for future similar endeavors. You can shape it as close as possible by keeping your fingers wet with water. It adheres to any surface/medium, and sands like a dream with ZERO shrinkage.

Check out my Lunar Modeles Large Excelsior project where I had to completely reshape the bow of the secondary hull. I still have to do the same with the bow of the Warp nacelles.

Tracy