1/72 F-16C decals

Hello--I have an 1/72 F-16C smallmouth and would like to find

decals for it, either ANG or AFRES. I am leaning towards Vt,

S.C., N.Y., Colo. or Fl. I am not sure if any or all of these units

even flew the C smallmouth. Anyone know who did and where

I can find these decals? Thanks---John

Iowa ANG in Sioux City did, and had one of the best schemes ever. http://sharpshooter-maj.com/Images/unit02/Volk/85-1554.jpg

2 different companies made the markings in 72nd. Expert's Choice/Baremetal sheet 72-11, and Superscale sheet 72-662.

Assuming you're talking early GE-powered smallmouth C (Blk 30). If you're talking late PW-powered smallmouth C (Blk 32/42/52) then there's a lot more options. What exact kit do you have?

Edited by David Hingtgen

Fox One did two very nice ANG F-16 sheets, with many small mouth options. 72-016 and 72-017 are the number, but unfortunantly Fox One is no more, so you might need to do some extensive searching for these sheets. Flightdecs seems to have them in stock.

According to this website VT uses the GE engine/big mouth combo, SC uses the Pratt engine/small mouth, NY (I'm assuming The People From Syracuse) had the GE with small inlet, NY (Niagara) only flew the ADF model, same for FL. CO uses the GE with big mouth inlet. Given that, your option are the Syracuse jets (not sure if anybody has done their C models) and a SC one, which Wolfpak Decals did on sheet 72-018.

Regards,

Murph

Heres the burner cans I have, Italer 1/72 F-16C/D

Night Falcon.Are these supose to be GE one open,

one closed or one PW and one GE? They are the

same parts in the A/B kit. Thanks---John

P3300003.jpg

Since you appear to be building the Italeri thingy, there is one snare to look out for with that kit - as molded the tabs on the horizontal tails would have you mount them too much forward, with the trailing edges of the MSIP Block 15-and-beyond sized enlarged tails aligning with the rear edge of the airbrakes.

This is easily fixed, luckily - just remove a bit of the back end of the mounting tab, so that you can mount them further back, so the end of the airbrakes lines up with the aft 'corner' of the vertical tail where the extra area was added and that extra area protruding from the aft end of the airbrake.

HTH,

Andre

Andre, back edge of stab IS even with back of air brake.

Do you mean edge of 45 degree cut on stab is even with

back of air brake?

F161.jpg

Stab is behind airbrake, 45 degree angle looks almost to back of airbrake, sorta.

Edited by john53
Andre, back edge of stab IS even with back of air brake.

Do you mean edge of 45 degree cut on stab is even with

back of air brake?

Stab is behind airbrake, 45 degree angle looks almost to back of airbrake, sorta.

Yup. As you can see in your pic, the area that was added to the stab with the Block 15 extends beyond the airbrake. As is, the Italeri extended tailplanes are in line with them, meaning they are mounted too much forward and too close to the trailing edge of the wing.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Sorry, that's a big-mouth. You're not going to find any small-mouth GE's from 1987+.

And I just found out I have need of similar info:

What's out there for a 1/72 F-16C, that's big-mouthed and 3-toned? All the decals I have are for either small-mouth 3-tone or big-mouth 2-tone.

Edited by David Hingtgen
What's out there for a 1/72 F-16C, that's big-mouthed and 3-toned? All the decals I have are for either small-mouth 3-tone or big-mouth 2-tone.

Wolfpak 72-028 has the New Mexico Guard in the three tone scheme with "big mouth"/GE engine combo. The tough part is finding markings that don't have the two tone scheme.

Regards,

Murph

Gents,

If there is a unit that you would like to see done let me know.

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

In that case, can I suggest Torrejon based F-16's? The 401st TFW squadrons all had big mouth/GE airframes. Also, the 480th FS based at Spangdahlem had this type of Block 30's.

Gents,

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

G'day Mark,

While not strictly what the original poster was after, but hoping that you'll do it anyway, I'd like markings for the New Mexico Block 30s (big mouth) which feature the bird (roadrunner) in grey (as applied to jets in the period after the block 40s of sheet 72-028). To the best of my knowledge they've only been depicted once in 72nd on a Superscale sheet - 72-866 - but that aircraft's bird is in colour and my preference would be for the grey marking. It would be even better if you could include the red '332 EFS' tag as carried by this and other units during OIF. Of course, the scheme applied to the airframe was the two greys. To demonstrate what I'm after, here's this USAF photo from F-16.net.

Thanks for the opportunity to make a request, and for doing the 18 FS (AK) and SC ANG Vipers on sheet 72-018; both units were crying out to be done.

Cheers,

Andrew.

My 1/72 F-16C wishlist:

IA ANG 124FS, current. (Big-mouth block 30). Superscale has done these in low-vis 1/48, but not the commander's full-color tail. http://www.flickr.com/photos/clearskyphoto...57594377458621/

Hill AFB, West Coast Demo team, 1996. Block 40, three-tone. Neat tail flashes on these. They're both visible in this pic: http://f-16.net/modules/Gallery2/gallery2/...d8aad55b583e28c 88-0467 and 88-0474. Not sure which was the "primary" demo plane--possibly 474 based on the pic below. I've never been able to snag the crew names, but being demo planes, the info should surely be out there.

f16HillDemoTeam.jpg

IMHO, there should be far more decals for demo planes out there----unless you live near Oceana/Langley, or southern Cal, they're probably the most-seen planes for most people. I like to model what I've actually seen.

Edited by David Hingtgen
Gents,

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

Well, now that you mention it...

I'd like to see some Desert Storm F-16As from the Boys From Syracuse (174th TFW) in 1/72. There was a Superscale sheet a bunch of years ago, but it's hard to find now.

Thanks!

In that case, can I suggest Torrejon based F-16's? The 401st TFW squadrons all had big mouth/GE airframes.

There is Superscale sheet #72-609 with four Torrejon 'C's (the wing commander's aircraft and boss birds for all three TFS's).

Also, the 480th FS based at Spangdahlem had this type of Block 30's.

Xtradecal #72008 ("USAFE Pt. 1") has markings for 52nd TFW F-16C/D's, including big mouths (in addition to some nice F-4G's and RF-4C's).

Both sheets are OOP at the moment, but could probably be found with a bit of hunting.

What would be most welcome would be accurate markings for USAF F-16 MiG etc. killers - the 363rd TFW F-16D that shot down a MiG-25 over Iraq, the 86th TFW F-16C's that downed four Serbian Soko G-4 Super Galebs during Deny Flight... you'd think that the the first USAF triple kill mission since the Korean war would send decal makers flocking, but so far...

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre
What would be most welcome would be accurate markings for USAF F-16 MiG etc. killers - the 363rd TFW F-16D that shot down a MiG-25 over Iraq, the 86th TFW F-16C's that downed four Serbian J-21 Jastrebs during Deny Flight... you'd think that the the first USAF triple kill mission since the Korean war would send decal makers flocking, but so far...

Fixed! :worship: