Rant, model parts missing

I hate to do this but I have no choice and enough is enough. Back on the 2nd of February I place an order for Kinetic’s E2-C Hawkeye and received it about a week later. After opening it I found that it was missing the decal and instruction sheet.

On the 13th of February I politely PM’d Raymond Chung about my problem and asked that he could help me out. I did receive a PM from Raymond saying he would help out and to send me an email and home address. So there was nothing to do but wait which I had no problem with.

Well after a month goes by I started to wonder, so I contacted Ray again via email and PM. After a few unanswered requests Ray finally PM’d me back with…

Dear Joe S.,

Sorry that I may miss out the PM, could you email your email address, I will send the PDF version of the manual to you. OK?

Well I politely thanked Ray for getting back to me and again sent him my email address so at least I could get started working on it. I did asked him about the decals and heard nothing yet so far….and as of today I have not received the emailed PDF instructions or an answer about the decals.

Today I’m a bit ******; it’s been 42 days and nothing. I spent $79.95 for this kit and I can’t even build it. It isn’t right! Over the weekend I thought about telling anyone and everyone to think twice about buying a Kinetic kit and that the service sucks BUT I have calmed since. All I wanted was to build this for an up and coming model show.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

I'm not clear, did you actually buy the kit from Lucky Model or from some other etailer? If from Lucky, then you have no choice but to go through them for a replacement. However, if you purchased it through another etailer, have you tried contacting them for help? If it were me, I would not be so "patient". The squeaky wheel gets the grease and if what you are saying is accurate, then it's been more than enough time for them to have replaced the missing items.

But, I have to disagree with part of your statements, it doesn't matter how much you paid for said kit, if it was new there should be NO issue with missing items and when there is an issue like this, price should not be a factor in willingness or ability to provide replacements, you did not get what you paid for and it should be made right and now. Good luck!

P.S. If for some reason you do not or cannot obtain the items you are looking for, PM me here. I have the kit instructions and I'll gladly make you a copy. I even have the decals that I have replaced with aftermarket and perhaps we can work a trade for those, if Mr. Chung isn't forthcoming. Anyway, as a last resort, I'll be able to help.

Edited by madmanrick

I had a problem with a missing part through lucky and I used their website account info to request the missing part. The part was shown as shipped less than 24 hours later. You could try that approach. Just log in under your account there, go to your account details and click on the "My Request" tab.

I bought the Hawkeye from Squadron, and yes I should have contacted them. Seeing that Ray is a member here I thought I could count on him, after all Ray said that he would right from the beginning. So my next move is to contact Squadron about the missing items and pass on to everyone I know about the poor and crappy service I’m having…

Thanks for the offer Rick, I really appreciate but lets see if Squadron will come through.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Joe,

In my experience Squadron is pretty good at supplying missing or damaged parts. However, I suggest you give them a call, as again in my experience email isn't the fastest or best way to contact them. I needed a fuselage half for my HB A-7A and after I called them (2 emails went unanswered for about a month, although it was around Xmas), I had it at my door in like 3 days. Anyway, if Squadron and or Raymond aren't able to help you out, just let me know and we'll figure it out one way or another.

Rick

What I really do not understand is why you did not contact Squadron FIRST, since you bought it from them. You would have had your problem addressed far more quickly had you just made a call directly to them and could have had your project underway far sooner.

Raymond may be a member here, but do you not think is it unfair to chase after him for replacement parts BEFORE you approach Squadron (since that was who you bought it from). I realize that he is associated with Kinetic in some way, but I doubt that he keeps a stash of replacement parts on hand for the sake of convenience to any member here who needs them.

It's a very rare thing, but if I have a kit that is missing instructions or a piece, I can not go chasing the owners of Revell Germany or Hasegawa, I go to where I bought it from and seek a replacement or an exchange. Worst case, I have go to the MANUFACTURER's website and request the missing items, but not to a specific person, with the expectation that they should correct a problem that occurred at the factory, just because they are a member here.

I hate to do this but I have no choice and enough is enough. Back on the 2nd of February I place an order for Kinetic’s E2-C Hawkeye and received it about a week later. After opening it I found that it was missing the decal and instruction sheet.

On the 13th of February I politely PM’d Raymond Chung about my problem and asked that he could help me out. I did receive a PM from Raymond saying he would help out and to send me an email and home address. So there was nothing to do but wait which I had no problem with.

Well after a month goes by I started to wonder, so I contacted Ray again via email and PM. After a few unanswered requests Ray finally PM’d me back with…

Dear Joe S.,

Sorry that I may miss out the PM, could you email your email address, I will send the PDF version of the manual to you. OK?

Well I politely thanked Ray for getting back to me and again sent him my email address so at least I could get started working on it. I did asked him about the decals and heard nothing yet so far….and as of today I have not received the emailed PDF instructions or an answer about the decals.

Today I’m a bit ******; it’s been 42 days and nothing. I spent $79.95 for this kit and I can’t even build it. It isn’t right! Over the weekend I thought about telling anyone and everyone to think twice about buying a Kinetic kit and that the service sucks BUT I have calmed since. All I wanted was to build this for an up and coming model show.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

I'm a frequent buyer of LM modelling goods. In fact, LM is my main modelling suplier. And yes, I've already had missing parts in a kit I bought from them (a Tamiya Zero). LM was open enough to admit right away they didn't have the parts or kit "in stock", but they would order the parts from Tamiya and sent them to me in the first opportunity. 1 month latter I had the parts, and LM was also open enough to keep me informed of what was happening at each step of the process (they ordered the parts to Tamiya, the parts arrived at LM, and so forth).

In my mind, a good retailer are not the ones which don't give you problems (they will happen, be sure), a good retailer are the ones wich solves the problems for the customer. something LM does.

And I don't think it's fair to chase Mr. Chung here, specially when LM didn't sell you the kit.

It's a very rare thing, but if I have a kit that is missing instructions or a piece, I can not go chasing the owners of Revell Germany or Hasegawa, I go to where I bought it from and seek a replacement or an exchange. Worst case, I have go to the MANUFACTURER's website and request the missing items, but not to a specific person, with the expectation that they should correct a problem that occurred at the factory, just because they are a member here.

To be fair, Raymond Chung is affiliated with both Lucky Model AND Kinetic, as Lucky Model has some or all of the stake in Kinetic (I'm not sure anyone here knows the true relationship there). Also, Mr. Chung has responded to many other requests for replacement parts for this very kit, although they may have been purchased from LM, I can't honestly remember. "Obvious" though, is a relative term and here's why:

For example, I purchased the HobbyBoss A-7A (48th) when it came out, shortly thereafter one of the fuselage halves was damaged beyond repair. Naturally, I contacted HobbyBoss for a replacement (fully explaining what had happened and expecting to have to pay for the replacement). HB responded to my email inquiry by referring me to Squadron, which is their US distributor. Now I had purchased the kit from Tower Hobbies, so I had no idea that I should contact Squadron until told to do so. Long story short, I received not ONE but two fuselage halves (the first one was the wrong side due to a mistake). So while it may be obvious to you or I, the same cannot necessarily be said of someone else.

Edited by madmanrick