My 1/32 F-14A - VF-84 - Gulf War with nose-art

Please excuse the clutter in the background but I was so impressed I had to snap it before deployment to the display surface in the back bedroom and SWMBO got her hands on it!

Kit: Tamiya F-14A

Resin Accessories: Cutting Edge resin cockpit, Aires seats with belts, Cutting Edge afterburner cans.

Etched: Eduard cockpit set and placards

Decals: Fightertown

I really enjoyed this build and tackled the weathering with a bit of trepidation!

What do you think? - I don't own an air-brush!!!

DSC00005tc.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00006tc.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00007tc.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Hope you like her - I want another BIG TC now!

Anytime baby!!!

Gaz

Edited by gaz262
She looks great.....but the loadout is off. IIRC, VF-84 wasn't around when Cats started carrying bomb

I realised that after I'd finished Paul but I love the look of the big Cat with bombs on and VF-84 were involved in developing the BombCat role after the war.....artistic license please?

Very nice build it looks great. That's a lot of plastic to cover without an airbrush. Nice work. Do you have a reference photo for how you painted the upper surface? I have never seen the darker demarcation line across the back so vividly. I would be interested in seeing what you were working from.

Again, very nice build.

Very nice build it looks great. That's a lot of plastic to cover without an airbrush. Nice work. Do you have a reference photo for how you painted the upper surface? I have never seen the darker demarcation line across the back so vividly. I would be interested in seeing what you were working from.

Again, very nice build.

I needed it to look re4ally scuffed and patchy like a photo I found in the excellent Daco Publications book on the F-14 A/B/D Tomcat by Danny Coremans.

I also uncovered some pics of Capt. Dana 'Smudge' Potts F-14 on Hyperscale which showed how dirty & discoloured the upper surfaces became after ground crew & pilots had walked around for a while during pre-flight checks and maintenance!

Looking at my photos, maybe I overdid it slightly but the pic in the book is very close!

Have a look here:

http://ultra.glo.be/daco/ and look under Daco Books

Thanks for the compliments by the way man, I appreciate them.

Gaz

WOW......That is one great looking 'Cat....I am impressed, I have just started using an air-brush and can really appreciate the work you have put in painting this by hand....Impressive... I will have to do one in my scale 1/48....

Cheers from Norway

I really enjoyed this build and tackled the weathering with a bit of trepidation!

What do you think? - I don't own an air-brush!!!

Admiring the outside of your starboard fin/rudder I see you had the real photos handy when painting those patchy touch-ups, looks just like it!

Who needs an airbrush when you can paint like this!?!?!

Beautiful job, beautiful Tomcat.

John

Excellent job, as mentioned you know about the load out. However VF-84 was not involved in bomb testing. It was VF-103 after they became the Jolly Rogers.

Close!!

VF-103 was doing bomb testing (FLIRCAT) when they were still the Sluggers. VF-103 Jolly Rogers was however the first "VF-103" Tomcat to carry the bombs for real out on the boat.

Excellent work. Can you us how achieved that spectacular paint finish without an airbrush. The blending of colors is perfect and I want to know how to replicate that using brush painting.

Basically, I used a very weak wash of Revell no.9 - matt black, though you could use watered down Tamiya matt black - followed by touch ups with 5 different companys renditions of FS35237.

It's amazing how different some of these products appear on the plastic! The manufacturers were Humbrol, Precision Paints, Gunze Sangyo, Testors & Aeromaster and all were a different shade - Aeromaster had the right kinda 'faded' look to it and that's what the basic airframe was painted in.

Also used were patches of FS36375, 36495 and streaking using pigments on a dry brush.

I was aiming for the very dirty scuffed look as depisted in the Daco Productions book on the Tomcat by Danny Coremans.

As for the loadout, it looks good to me and that's all that matters - right?

:jaw-dropping:

Cheers and good luck!

Gaz

Edited by gaz262

Very impressive. I liked the reference to SWMBO :sunrevolves: I recently ordered the 1/32 F/A-18D (inspired by Marcel (above post's) recent effort. "THE Wife" went mental as it arrived in the post, clearly yours is more 'understanding'

Brush painted - wow - great weathering

Great job on your big 'Cat Gaz. :rofl:

It takes alot of courage to dirty up a finished build and even more so since you don't own an airbrush, well done.

Your weathering turned out beautifully and is very convincing. I'll be stopping by this thread often for inspiration and tips. :wub:

:nanner: