How do you airbrush Model Master Acryl?

The paint might be only part of the problem, the Iwata HP-B is an excellent detail airbrush and I have found that to get the most out of it the paint must be thinned just right...and thats with enamel paints. MM Acryl might not work with an HP-B

I've been spraying MM Acryl and even the ancient coarser Pactra acrylics through my HP-B+ (0.2mm nozzle/needle) with great success. Thinning ratio is 3 parts paint to 2 parts Acryl thinner.

I've been spraying MM Acryl and even the ancient coarser Pactra acrylics through my HP-B+ (0.2mm nozzle/needle) with great success. Thinning ratio is 3 parts paint to 2 parts Acryl thinner.

I will give this a try - I have some more interior green to paint. Thanks for the tip!

Ok - I will take back 50% of what I said about MM Acryl. I tried using the Badger Anthem and less thinner (approx 4 parts paint to 1 part thinner) and it worked MUCH better. There was still some clogging but a lot less. I suppose I can use this stuff for base coats, etc but not for detail work.

• 8 months later...
I also use Tamiya X-20A thinner with MM Acryl's. Works about 90% of the time...... I pretty much go with a 1:1 mix and look for the "skim milk consistency" as well.

This totally worked for me. Additionally, I was using an HP-BH which has a 0.20 mm tip, and the psi was at 15-20, so my next test would probably be using a larger tip and playing with a higher or lower pressure to see where the thresholds are as far as pressure and tip usage are concerned.

Tamiya acrylic thinner is great stuff, but may be difficult to acquire in the states.

I have a love/hate relationship with Testors Acryl as well. I've tried the Tamiya thinner, the Testors thinner, Liquitex retarder, Future and a number of other concoctions I've come across.

I do think though that this paint has tendency to dry very quickly and therefore dry on the tip of the airbrush, clogging it. Too much thinner aggravates this.

My opinion is that Tamiya's thinner is more alcohol based where Testor's thinner is mostly water (smell them), therefore I use the latter to avoid drying the paint.

My best luck has been to mix the paint very well (stir, stir, stir, shake, then stir some more), filter out any solid clumps with fine mesh and add a few drops of liquitex (two or three right into the paint cup), thinning with as little Testors Acryl thinner as possible (no more than two drops in the cup).

I also run a little pure Windex through the brush before I start to clean and lube the tip a little.