C-119J (beaver tail)

Hello all.

I'm looking for details of the Fairchild C-119J but I had no luck about the inside of the flat tail that distinguishes this particular version from the others.

One sample (just a battered fuselage) survives in Italy, in a private area close to visitors, while the USAF Museum in Wright-Patterson AFB (Daytona, OH) preserves the only other sample still surviving. Has anyone ever had a chance to photograph its interiors?

Luca

Edited by hueyfan

No pics here(sorry) but I'd be interested in external pics of both types, showing the difference.

Just curiosity - I was in a real one 'way back at an air show in Niagara Falls. Cool plane!

Just to clarify, the C-119J "beavertail" isn't flat, but has a wedge shaped door that opens in the horizontal. Whereas the other models feature clamshell doors that are split vertically. The only pic I have ever seen of the interior of the Boxcar J model is in the Aerofax book. It is smallish, but you can make out some detail. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you a scan of it, if you do not have it already. HTH!

Edited by madmanrick

I called it so because also Alvin Lloyd called it "beavertail" all along the Aerofax book, that I also have. BTW if you refer to the picture at page 96, it is too crowded to see the structural details that I need. An ideal shot could be a close view taken from the ground while loading the plane, or from the inside, taken during a paratroops launch. Thank you anyway for the hint.

Luca

Hello all.

I'm looking for details of the Fairchild C-119J but I had no luck about the inside of the flat tail that distinguishes this particular version from the others.

One sample (just a battered fuselage) survives in Italy, in a private area close to visitors, while the USAF Museum in Wright-Patterson AFB (Daytona, OH) preserves the only other sample still surviving. Has anyone ever had a chance to photograph its interiors?

Luca

hueyfan, I am working on a project for an upcoming reunion of the 6593rd Test Squadron (Special). Their motto was "Catch Falling Star" They flew 5 specially modified C-119J's for the Aerial Recovery of De-Orbiting Satellites. Will be glad to share what information that I have come across. You can see more at HTTP://www.6594thTestGroup.org The following URL has a picture of Beaver tail and Clamshell http://daytonipms.com/Walks/C-119J/Rear.jpg

Frank

Edited by adamsf

Thank you all for answering.

In the meanwhile I've been directed to a website dedicated to aircraft relics in Italy, hosting a picture set dedicated to the unique remains of an ex Italian AF C-119J. Here is a direct link to these pictures: http://www.alatricolore.it/alatricolore/so...rvesa/c119j.htm although I'd suggest a whole tour on the Alatricolore's website, at least just for curiousness about US-made military aircraft left in Italy.

Luca

Edited by hueyfan

Gents:

Don't think it would be all that difficult to do a set of the beavertail doors in resin using solids modeling software. Is there enough interest to support it? They would not have interior detail unless I can find pictures that show any ribs, etc.

Mark S.

Spectre Resin

Gents:

Don't think it would be all that difficult to do a set of the beavertail doors in resin using solids modeling software. Is there enough interest to support it? They would not have interior detail unless I can find pictures that show any ribs, etc.

Mark S.

Spectre Resin

c119j5_big.jpg

Typical non-pressurized aluminium airframe, full of pierced ribs, beams and boxed structures to spare weight.

In a commercial product, a set of photoetched parts could add much to the overall effect.

Luca

Edited by hueyfan

Interesting subject - I was never even aware that it existed.

We Brits did a similar thing with the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy

The first, commercial, examples had a dome-shaped rear end that swung open for loading - but this was clearly no good for para dropping.

So for the RAF version, a 'beaver tail' was developed.

The two sections of this opened up like crocodile jaws - top and bottom halves.

Looking at the photo in Franks Link the C-119 rear end looks the same.

But in the photo provided by Luqa, it looks like the upper part is fixed - with just a lower ramp section.

Is that correct ??

Cheers

Ken

PS - I have the 1:72 scale Italeri C-119 in the stash - waiting to be converted into an XC-120 Packplane (when I get more details of the complex undercarriage :wave: )

Hello Ken,

I had chance to see C-119s then both the dome-shaped Argosy in Coventry's museum and the other type in Cosford's, and I confirm your supposition.

The bottom part of the C-119J tail (visible from the inside in the picture that I linked) opened rising inwards, like the rearmost section of a CH-46 helicopter's ramp. Then the whole tail 'cone' turned up no more than 15-20 degrees, enough to load vehicles or long and cumbersome loads, and even to allow in-flight load drops. Unluckily, once open the tail generated such a turbulence that the tailplanes tended towards loosing control. This circumstance, in an already underpowered airplane, limited a lot, if not at all, it's use for airdrops and the same habit to remove the mobile structure continued, like with the old clamshell-shaped versions.

In short, the Argosy's flat-tail architecture seems more reasonable compared to the C-119Js one.

Regarding the Packplane, in the Aerofax book there are various pictures, also from both sides, that show the undercarriage. No close-ups but enough to get an idea of its structure.

Luca

(not "Luqa", that's in Malta while I am from Milan, Italy :bandhead2: )

Edited by hueyfan
Regarding the Packplane, in the Aerofax book there are various pictures, also from both sides, that show the undercarriage. No close-ups but enough to get an idea of its structure.

Luca

(not "Luqa", that's in Malta while I am from Milan, Italy ;) )

Thanks Luca :thumbsup:

I think I already have most published photos of the XC-120 - but none of them show the undercariage clearly enough to work out the complex truss structure.

It's on the 'to do' pile awaiting more info.

Regards

Ken

Interesting subject - I was never even aware that it existed.

We Brits did a similar thing with the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy

The first, commercial, examples had a dome-shaped rear end that swung open for loading - but this was clearly no good for para dropping.

So for the RAF version, a 'beaver tail' was developed.

The two sections of this opened up like crocodile jaws - top and bottom halves.

Looking at the photo in Franks Link the C-119 rear end looks the same.

But in the photo provided by Luqa, it looks like the upper part is fixed - with just a lower ramp section.

Is that correct ??

Cheers

Ken

PS - I have the 1:72 scale Italeri C-119 in the stash - waiting to be converted into an XC-120 Packplane (when I get more details of the complex undercarriage :cheers: )

The little reference book that comes with the latest re-issue of the kit has a few pictures and (i think) a 3 view. i haven't seen the Aerofax book, so can't comment if these pis are anything new, and i'm without scanner, so no uploading :)

Denzil

• 9 years later...

Okay gents, I am going to resurrect this thread for a minute.  I was curious about converting the Italeri 1/72 C-119G into a J, assuming all that is required is the beaver tail.  So I googled "Fairchild C-119J beaver tail."  This is one of the first photos to pop up!  A 3-D printed 1/72 beaver tail which looks very nice.  

3D_C-119J_Tail.jpeg.be27744cd7f4b4e2114e0095439f60f1.jpeg

The STLfinder link shows it listed a few rows down as "Fairchild C-119J "Beaver tail" cargo door in 1/72".  When you click on that link it opens to another page saying it is unavailable.  There is a download link which takes you to Shapeways.com where a 404 error is posted.  Does anyone know the story?  Can this item still be obtained?

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Are you aware of this WIP on Britmod? The bottom line is that the C-119J widened the aft fuselage so that the beaver tail was the full width of the fuselage whereas the previous C-119s had the rear fuselage narrowing. So the shapeways tail is useless w/o modifying the rear fuselage. Sorry can't give better news. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235018081-catching-pictures-in-the-air/

TheBaron's build is awesome

Grant

Grant, thanks for that link!  Beautiful build.  I will have to investigate the Italeri C-119G fuselage width and 3D printed J beaver tail issue.  But, not having a 1/72 3D printed beaver tail kind of hinders my efforts there.  Thanks!  R/ Dutch