A friend of mine will be having his apartment fumigated in the near future. The process will involve raising the temperature in the apartment to 140 degrees F. He's been told that his computer will be safe, but he's worried about his extensive collection of CDs and vinyl LPs, among other things.

So, anybody have experience with this process? What needs to be moved out temporarily?

Thanks in advance

cheers

Old Blind Dog

For how long will the "stuff" be at 140-degF?

Plastics in particular creep (warp, give) over temperature and time. Not all plastics are the same of course either, but I'd say if he as a collection of Barbie dolls or model airplanes he might want to do something to protect them.

Oh sweet, I finally get to use some of my polymers training.... The CD's will be fine, they are made out of polycarbonate which will not begin to creep until ~ 260 F. The records or anything else that is vinyl might not fair so well. They are made out of PVC, but PVC's creep temperature can move a lot depending on what additives are added to them. So to be on the safe side, I would recommend moving them. That's just my two cents worth though. One thing to keep in mind some plastics will react differently at higher temperatures.